What's new

Cumbrian Vapers who like a pint

Vaping cigarette craze hits west Cumbria

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/latest-cigarette-craze-hits-west-cumbria-1.1054286

By Jenny Barwise
Published at 11:11, Monday, 06 May 2013

The latest cigarette craze has hit west Cumbria and businesses are jumping on the bandwagon to stock the product.
3715401737.jpg
Darran Monkhouse and Martin Diamond

Vaping, where you puff on an electronic cigarette and turn nicotine-infused liquid into vapour, claims to have helped people from all around the world quit lighting up “normal” cigarettes.
And that’s what happened to 47-year-old Neil Grisdale from Workington.
Six months ago Neil smoked 20 cigarettes a day. Not only did it affect his health, it also hit his bank balance. So he took advice from his friend who lives in Manchester and tried vaping and he has never looked back.
He was so impressed with the device that he now stocks it in his Senhouse Street shop – Grisdale’s General Store.
“It seemed like such a good opportunity to start stocking them.
“They are very popular and I have sold thousands-of-pounds worth in the last three months.
“People are coming in to buy them on a daily basis.”
And the success of the gadgets – known as pens – is from word-of-mouth, he says. When he goes out he will stand outside “vaping” with the smokers.
Neil admits that vaping is not healthy, as nicotine is still used. But he is adamant that puffing the pen is a lot more healthier than smoking.
And Neil said that people can wean themselves of nicotine altogether as different strengths can be purchased – until it is eventually zero. Another team that have taken up the vaping craze is business partners Martin Diamond and Darran Monkhouse.
The pair have also been so impressed with the results that they have started their own internet store – www.dimonke.com – and have started stocking local businesses.
Even though Martin has been using the device for the past four years, he and his business partner only set up the company Dimonke late last year.
And since launching the business, which is based in Whitehaven and Summergrove, they have seen its success soar.
Martin, 36, said: “I decided to start using an e-cig (electronic cigarette) as smoking does affect your health. I started a family and had so many more reasons to live longer.”
But Martin couldn’t find any local stockists and had to buy his products over the internet. So Martin and Darran, 26, decided to set up their business.
On Friday night the pair took their venture one step further, providing stock to Hensingham bar and restaurant, The Distressed Sailor, to sell to customers.
Rod Kennedy, 45, of Whitehaven, has been smoking since he was 11. He said: “I got hold of a vaping kit in July last year, and packed in smoking almost instantly.”
Fellow vaper Phill Radcliffe, 50, of Workington, said: “I have been smoking 20-30 cigarettes a day for longer than I care to remember, I was introduced to Vaping only recently, and now I only smoke the odd cigarette now and then, but my intention is to quit totally and with the help of this kit I will do so.”
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom