What's new

Dangers of ss mesh debate

Gonloopy

Veteran
hi there,
I came across a rather worrying thread on another forum re the above. ::S
and thought I should let you all know
Not trying to be a scaremonger but think its something users of s/s need to be aware of, so at least everyone can make an informed decision.

Its a huge thread and very complex ( think you need to be a chemist to understand it fully )but...

My interpretation is whether or not chromium oxide when torching the wicks turns into CrVI - which is a carcinogen.....

There is also some interesting discussion , and formal lab results around page 49 ish about how to reduce risks

the link is http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...08-stainless-steel-mesh-oxide-discussion.html

If the link doesn't work, just google 'stainless steel mesh oxide discussion' - it should take you straight there.
They also have discussed it on aaec via this link
http://allaboute-cigarettes.proboards.com/thread/18598

Take Care

Hi, I've been following that thread and as far as I remember from the result is that when you heat the mesh at very high temperatures it might end up containing this CrVI. Since then I just burn the mesh with a regular lighter and roll it into a wick after and the coil already in place I just slide the wick in, most of the times I get no hot spots ( PetarK method http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-unoxidized-hot-spot-free-cleanable-coil.html ). I do that because I'm using a Vamo else I would just pulse the wick with a mechanical mod.

Hi, I've been following that thread and as far as I remember from the result is that when you heat the mesh at very high temperatures it might end up containing this CrVI. Since then I just burn the mesh with a regular lighter and roll it into a wick after and the coil already in place I just slide the wick in, most of the times I get no hot spots ( PetarK method http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-unoxidized-hot-spot-free-cleanable-coil.html ). I do that because I'm using a Vamo else I would just pulse the wick with a mechanical mod.
Yes you're right, the learning from this thread , seems to be don't torch your mesh. And this Petark method is suggested. Don't use ss mesh myself but there seems to be plenty of people commenting that it works...

Mesh wicks? they work, though I can't say how good the flavour is as opposed to silica because I didn't try that myself :) ( yet ), mainly because of the concerns with it around the time that I switched to vaping which ultimately were proven false as well. But there are drawbacks when using such an atty, the biggest in my opinion is that they always have to sit upright.

Mesh wicks? they work, though I can't say how good the flavour is as opposed to silica because I didn't try that myself :) ( yet ), mainly because of the concerns with it around the time that I switched to vaping which ultimately were proven false as well. But there are drawbacks when using such an atty, the biggest in my opinion is that they always have to sit upright.
sorry , I'm not quite sure I understand you, are you saying that concerns around s/s wicks have been disproven? I'm no expert but looking on this thread and a bit of other reading around, as far as I can see the jury is out.....

This is very interesting to me as I love SS mesh wicks so thanks to the OP.

From skimming through 55 pages of the thread, my simple mind understood the following major points of interest to me:

The official lab testing came back negative for CRVI on the eliquid of the torched SS mesh wicks

Bodens home testing was positive

The tester (Boden) has not confirmed they are dangerous or even safe but advocated using unoxidised SS wicks to be on the safe side. He also hypothisisies that nicotine may have a part to play in neutralising the CRVI

So IMO the jurys still out but some reassurances can be had from the lab tests. I will be erring on the side of caution and will try unoxidised wicks once my existing torched ones are dead.

Last edited:
sorry , I'm not quite sure I understand you,
Sorry, maybe my English is not as good as yours, I was talking about silica

This is very interesting to me as I love SS mesh wicks so thanks to the OP.

From skimming through 55 pages of the thread, my simple mind understood the following major points of interest to me:

The official lab testing came back negative for CRVI on the eliquid of the torched SS mesh wicks

Bodens home testing was positive

The tester (Boden) has not confirmed they are dangerous or even safe but advocated using unoxidised SS wicks to be on the safe side. He also hypothisisies that nicotine may have a part to play in neutralising the CRVI

So IMO the jurys still out but some reassurances can be had from the lab tests. I will be erring on the side of caution and will try unoxidised wicks once my existing torched ones are dead.

yes, good summary , that is my interpretation too. I was considering having a go at s/s wicks, but then came accross this thread, so personally ive decided to stick with sillica. Plus v happy with my new addition (penelope atty) :D
Hope the unoxidised wicks go ok .

Back
Top Bottom