What's new

Disposable Vapes - The tide seems to be changing - Disposable Vape Ban ?

More likely to be down to Crispin Blunt, it was widely reported as such when poppers were exempted.

The Conservative MP Crispin Blunt has admitted using the party drug poppers, and denounced attempts by the government to ban the substances as “foolish”.Blunt, who is the chairman of parliament’s foreign affairs select committee, was speaking during a debate on the government’s psychoactive substances bill, which seeks to outlaw certain legal recreational drugs. The legislation would ban alkyl nitrites – commonly known as poppers.An amendment tabled by the shadow home secretary, Andy Burnham, which would have excluded poppers from the bill, was voted down by 228 votes to 309. The bill passed to its final stage in the Commons before it will pass into law.

“There are some times, Madam Deputy Speaker, when something is proposed which becomes personal to you and you realise that the government is about to do something fantastically stupid and I think in those circumstances one has a duty to speak up,” said Blunt, who has been MP for Reigate since 1997.

“I use poppers. I out myself as a poppers user. And would be directly affected by this legislation. And I was astonished to find that it’s proposed they be banned and, frankly, so were very many gay men.”

Maybe, I don't really buy it. It's like saying that if one MP stood up and said "I use disposables" every other MP would not vote to ban them. He might have wanted the praise for it, it may just have been a cynical tory ploy to win over the 'gay vote' .. either way there were huge petitions and stuff. He was just the voice in parliament. He didn't do it alone.

Back
Top Bottom