What's new

Dual coil DTL RTA, for a newbie builder

andipandi

Legend
For my newly discovered cousin, i think she's been vaping for a month or so. I've read the signs, she has early onset shinyitis
ph34r.png
I'm out of the loop, being almost exclusively a Profile Unity user for the last few years. I've already stopped her buying a crappy vaperz cloud clone, she didn't seem to know what a clone tank was, early education was provided.

Looking for a tank that is 25/26mm, dual coil, must be easy to coil but esp. easy to wick. I will recommend a pair of 3mm 26/32awg round NI80 claptons, but that's more to do with that being my standard coil configuration, for donkey's years. She has mentioned the Hellvape Dead Rabbit 3 RTA 6th Anniversary Edition, I think the wicking might be tricky for a newbie, I really do not rate the Dead Rabbit series, I have a DR V2, it's shockingly crap. Cant recall her mod but it's a decent dual 18650 set up, she currently vapes around 60 watts on a stock coil sub ohm tank. Cheers.

Edit: just watched a vid on coiling and wicking the DR V3, looks like the wicking is simple enough tbh, unlike the messy DR V2.

Last edited:
If she has only been vaping for a month my first question would be how sure are you that she prefers DTL over MTL vapes and what setup is she vaping on ATM?

Knowing what could be about to happen to the vape industry when this new law comes in I certainly agree with steering her towards using rebuildables but as we all know, trying different setups to work out what we feel happiest with is really important to avoid wasting loads of money on lots of bits of kit. For newbies I like the idea of trying some kind of hybrid setup that lets people change between MTL or DTL and see what they find they prefer and then they can move onto something that more specifically suits their preferred vaping style.

The only rebuildable tank like that I've actually tried is the Oxva Arbiter which is only single coil but is dead easy to build and can do both DTL and MTL.

If she has only been vaping for a month my first question would be how sure are you that she prefers DTL over MTL
Because she's vaped both styles, plenty of chances for trying stuff, she works for a well known high street/ online vendor (not TW), which got her into vaping, when she started working for them, a month ago.

Its 28mm but Ecigone has the QP Juggerknot V2 for £24 currently, much easier to wick than the DR3 and it's a better tank. Personally Id get some Ni80 fused Claptons for it over round Clapton.

For my newly discovered cousin, i think she's been vaping for a month or so. I've read the signs, she has early onset shinyitis View attachment 355499 I'm out of the loop, being almost exclusively a Profile Unity user for the last few years. I've already stopped her buying a crappy vaperz cloud clone, she didn't seem to know what a clone tank was, early education was provided.

Looking for a tank that is 25/26mm, dual coil, must be easy to coil but esp. easy to wick. I will recommend a pair of 3mm 26/32awg round NI80 claptons, but that's more to do with that being my standard coil configuration, for donkey's years. She has mentioned the Hellvape Dead Rabbit 3 RTA 6th Anniversary Edition, I think the wicking might be tricky for a newbie, I really do not rate the Dead Rabbit series, I have a DR V2, it's shockingly crap. Cant recall her mod but it's a decent dual 18650 set up, she currently vapes around 60 watts on a stock coil sub ohm tank. Cheers.

Edit: just watched a vid on coiling and wicking the DR V3, looks like the wicking is simple enough tbh, unlike the messy DR V2.
the blotto max there was a group test on here afew yrs back & it went well https://legioxvape.com/products/blotto-max-rta-by-dovpo

Because she's vaped both styles, plenty of chances for trying stuff, she works for a well known high street/ online vendor (not TW), which got her into vaping, when she started working for them, a month ago.

Sounds like an ideal way to get started surrounded by all the options she had to choose from. The DR3 tank is really easy to build and wick. Its top airflow will be less likely to leak as much so that might be an important consideration if she plans to use it when out and about although she might prefer something more leakproof and pocket friendly when outdoors.

I find getting the build right is more important than the choice of tank when it comes to flavour. I use framed staple coils but tri-core fused claptons also seem to be a very popular coil and I don't think there is much difference in performance depending on the wire thickness. For dual coil I would keep the resistance between .15 to .2 which should produce decent performance and ramp up time. Then getting the coil positioning right relative to the airflow and also I like to slightly space the wraps on my coils which I think definitely give better flavour for longer on an RTA.

When it comes to wicking I like to pull all the strands apart and then get the thickness right so the cotton will just glide through nicely without crushing all the stands back together too tighly in order to allow enough space between the strands to help the capilliary action deliver plenty of juice to the middle of the coils.

My cousin has ordered the Dead Rabbit 3, plus @30deadcats :worship: is kindly sending me an OG Blotto and a Ammit Dual coil, the latter i know is a great atty, and a easy build.

Back
Top Bottom