What's new

First Clapton

EmbraSewerRat

Veteran
Wee moment of smug.
After watching ALL the videos/tutorials, decided frak it, lets go spend the food budget and get a drill and give this caper a go.

0.2mm wrapped around 0.45mm 4/5 wraps comes in at 0.5 ohms. Put it on my beloved Mephisto V1.

Ooh my giddy aunt, lovely. Bit of ramp up time but so so worth it.
Apologies for the pish photo, but my phone is old and the camera isna that great - macro setting my shiny metal arse!. Will try do better tomorrow when the clouds of Mothers Milk have cleared.
DSC_2378.jpg

top work there mate! I love the look of clapton coils but I know I wouldn't have the patience to do it myself so I have much respect for those that do :)

I almost broke my eyesight doing it. But so worth it. Purplefowler, pm me your address and I'll post one out to you next week after more practice...

I really must have a look at all these different types of coils, is there a wiki type thing of the different ones to try?

I really must have a look at all these different types of coils, is there a wiki type thing of the different ones to try?
Having spoken to a few of the chaps in the local vape shops, watched the f-ktonne of videos and read up on here, have discovered that twisted wire coils are no bad and easy to make. Parallel is best done with 0.45 wire and in some drippers vastly improves performance. Gives good clouds and good flavour.
This here Clapton caper is however the testicles of every animal in Edinburgh zoo.
Give me a shout next week and I might drop you a coil.

Unless your in gorgie....

Having spoken to a few of the chaps in the local vape shops, watched the f-ktonne of videos and read up on here, have discovered that twisted wire coils are no bad and easy to make. Parallel is best done with 0.45 wire and in some drippers vastly improves performance. Gives good clouds and good flavour.
This here Clapton caper is however the testicles of every animal in Edinburgh zoo.
Give me a shout next week and I might drop you a coil.

Unless your in gorgie....

In Gorgie ...... Awwwww hell no, I would rather walk thru wester hailes in a pink cat suit shouting spank me big boy ..... Although doing that I could be mistaken for one of the manky pink bus shelter patron.

I'm up by ERI now but most of my formative years were leith & Craigentinny

Love me a Clapton! Nice tidy build, mate.

First proper build I did after messing around with some twisted and finding out how addictive building coils was I set aboot making a couple of Claptons.

.5 A1 wrapped with .15 Ni-Chrome and 5/6 wraps came out at 0.18 on a dual-coil setup in the Plume clone. You're right about the ramp-up time, but Christ. Plenty flavour, massive clouds.

I've since built a couple on .4 A1 twisteds (really footery, as the twist in the wire keeps throwing your wind off), but I'm waiting for some goodies from Fasttech to arrive before I stick 'em in something as I don't want to get rid of the first ones I made. I like 'em that much. :grin2:

Invested in a pin vice to help with the winding of Claptons. Great wee thing that stops the wire flopping about when you spin it in the drill. Clamp wire in drill, other end in vice, and stick the pin vice into a bigger vice. holds everything nice and steady and really lets you finish them fast.

Back
Top Bottom