What's new

Review HotCig DR200 DNA Box.

Arctic_Wolf

Achiever
HotCig box mods sometimes get a bad rap, which is why I was initially a little hesitant to part with the cash for one, especially as I couldn't find much review material on them at all with them being so new. However, my obsession with DNA 200 mods meant I had a DNA for every purpose, except a smaller stealth vaping mod which unfortunately didn't include all of my favourite DNA 200 features and options. My weapon of choice there was an older Smok M45, a nice small, light and stealthy little box mod. Then I stumbled upon the HotCig DR200 DNA Box, which for a DNA 200 comes in at a tiny 8.80cm x 4.50cm x 2.40 cm and weighs just 100 grammes. It's only a couple of mm's taller and wider than the M45, and only about 8 mm deeper. For a DNA 200 it is very small in comparison to the others I own and it's only a few grammes heavier than the M45 as well. But, what else?

I've now been using the mod for a good 3 months +. Unlike ALL of my other DNA 200 mods, the DR200 has been the ONLY one that has come 100% preconfigured in Escribe, even the battery, case analysis settings and the mods internal resistance had all been preset. You'd have thought the pricier options would have come all set up for you (especially those with fixed or user serviceable LiPo cells) and the cheaper HotCig not set up at all. I was very surprised to find this was the complete reverse!! The DR200 I received is completely ready to go right out of the box, everything is set up except for the 8 user customisable profiles! Those without access to a Windows device who have been wanting a DNA mod but decided against it due to the configuration required in Escribe, one of these may be of further interest to you. The mod actually has some quality features that the more expensive Lavabox as an example has as well and its best feature other than the DNA board itself is it has a strong magnetic battery cover which allows you to instantly change out the 900 mAh LiPo for a freshly charged one.

It's the smallest DNA 200 I own, which is precisely why I purchased it, it's VERY pocketable. The LiPo cell is exactly the same as a stock Lavabox (again as a comparison example), a Fullymax 3S, 11.1 V, 900 mAh. There are hundreds of reviews out there that tell us how a DNA 200 functions, their features and the improved vape they can give, so I'm not even going to bother going there. The main point of this review now that I've had some time to compare it to more expensive and popular fixed cell LiPo DNA 200's such as the Lavabox or Panzer, is to let people know that HotCig have produced a highly underrated little beauty with some quality features.

The buttons obviously are standard DNA 200 configuration, they're a quality polished SS finish and give a nice smooth tactile click, not too clicky and not too soft. The case is made from lightweight aluminium as used in the airframes industry and features a removable back panel with strong locking magnets to allow swapping out the single plug JST-XH LiPo. LiPo cell doesn't necessarily mean fixed anymore with this set up. It has all the usuals such as a quality spring loaded 510 bezel. It's not the flashiest DNA200 available, but as I wanted it as a stealth vaper, it made it all the more perfect for that task. The battery life from the 900 mAh LiPo isn't the best available obviously, battery life isn't as much as larger offerings which is to be expected, but it can be swapped out as quickly as any single cell mod.

In conclusion, it'll do anything any other DNA 200 can give you in a very small and lightweight package, performance wise I can't tell any difference to any of my LiPo DNA's. It's already set up for those that don't have frequent access to a Windows system or device for Escribe and the battery is quickly interchangeable. Shorter battery life than larger LiPo DNA's, but a spare can be put in in seconds. I really can't find any cons, it's doing everything I've asked of it. Will provide some pictures to show it's size and quality.

_20161005_143030.JPG

_20161005_143142.JPG

_20161005_143529.JPG

_20161005_143759.JPG

_20161005_144551.JPG

_20161005_145008.JPG

This is on my list, I'd love to get a mod w/ a good replaceable lipo over 2 x 18650s.

So I'm wondering if you've run the escribe battery analyzer on that battery?

If no, how's the battery life been for you? Is is holding up well?

Thanks a lot...

This is on my list, I'd love to get a mod w/ a good replaceable lipo over 2 x 18650s.

So I'm wondering if you've run the escribe battery analyzer on that battery?

If no, how's the battery life been for you? Is is holding up well?

Thanks a lot...

The mod and supplied battery have been in use for roughly 10 months now and both are holding up extremely well indeed :). Still holds a good charge and I'm still getting the same life per charge. Bare in mind however, I do have a collection of several mods that share the workload out, so it's not in a scenario where it's just me running one or two mods that are doing all of the work. It's not in constant use all day everyday but it is still used every day and has seen quite a lot of use in that time :). I still use it as I originally intended for out and about when I want or need something smaller, lighter and more stealthy, but still have the capability to do more if and when required when at home, etc too. It's finish is still excellent, I haven't dropped it or anything like that and it's showing absolutely no signs of wear and tear from use at all unlike some of my other mods :).

No, I didn't really need to run the battery analyser in Escribe to answer that question. I simply downloaded a battery .CSV file for it and used that instead, (I used Volcano's .CSV for their stock 900 mAh LiPo for their Lavabox as it's exactly the same cell they use as well, a 900 mAh Fullymax) :).

It won't run all day DTL vaping without a top up, but neither will any other 900 mAh LiPo mod. It's great for an afternoon or an evening out off a single charge and I've found it ideal for that type of use. If you have one or more spare LiPos for it with the correct plug fitted however, obviously you can use it just as you would any removable 18650 mod as the LiPo can be switched out for a freshly charged one in seconds :).

I don't have anything to directly compare it to now as I put the 1300 mAh extender packs in my Lavaboxes, although I'd say the battery life really isn't much different to my Hcigar VT200s (they have a claimed 1300 mAh cell but realistically I'd say they're closer to a 900-1000 mAh LiPo, no way they're 1300).

All in all, a great little mod for the money, it's still going strong and I honestly don't have any complaints about it at all. Instant LiPo swap out which very few mods have and carrying a spare 900 mAh LiPo is a lot lighter than carrying a couple of 18650's around with you for example.

Any other questions, let me know :).

Back
Top Bottom