What's new

Review Hotcig R150

crustyfolker

Veteran
Ok Apes this review is for the Hotcig R150 box mod, which was sent to me for review by Hotcig so as usual i would like to thank Those responsible for sending an item for review which today is Hotcig, especially the sales manager Bennett for this beautiful device.

Ok The device comes in the usual Hotcig wooden box which is inside a hotcig bag .
Inside the Box you get The R150 mod, a manual, a warranty card and a nice usb cable that is similar to an old kettle cord with a cotton coating rather than just a plain plastic coating, i believe this will outlast the usual usb cables as there is less chance it will split.

Size mm mode
90 hight ni200
55 breadth ss316
25 depth ww this is for tungsten ceramic coils.
ti
power mode

The chip used is a waterproof HM 150 tc v1.2 which is capable of 1-150 watts in 0.1 increments upto 100 watts then 1 watt increments between 100 and 150 watts.
temp range 100-315 celcius in 1 celcius increments 200-600 f. also in 1f increments or hold down the button and it speeds up and does 10 celcius or farenheit increments. in power mode it can use coils from 0.1 to 3.0 ohms I have no specs for temp mode but understand it is 0.05 ohms lowest.
There is 3 ventholes on the bottom of the mod for ventilation
The Mod is run by 2 18650 batteries in series but there is no protection if you put the batteries in the wrong way. although there is a warning says WARNING PARALELL and the sled is marked clearly with the +& -
The 510 is spring loaded and looks to be a brass pin. Atomizers sit flush.

20160720_221143.jpg 20160720_221236.jpg 20160623_143556.jpg 20160720_224855.jpg 20160720_221143.jpg 20160720_221236.jpg 20160623_143556.jpg 20160720_224855.jpg

The frame is aircraft alluminum alloy and the side panels are interchangeable but the mod comes with Abalone panels. others available to purchase seperate include leather and carbon fibre. These are held in place by 4 really good magnets on each panel matched with 4 in the mod casing. There is no rattle with the mod at all and the casing has small indentations cut out ,enough to get a finger nail underneath as to remove the panels. Also available seperately are Abalone drip tips standard and wide bore. the alluminium comes in either black or silver and There is also now a carved version which looks impressive but i am yet to see one in stock anywhere so maybe best to contact hotcig directly if that interests you.

The screen display has battery indicator ohms voltage and amps plus wattage in power mode, in tc mode it shows wattage instead of amps and temp instead of wattage. There is a usb port for charging and firmware upgrades. And the button layout is like a DNA style it also tells you which wire setting in temp mode .

The batteries are easy to remove by the way just remove both panels and on one side there is room to use 2 fingers and pop them out the other side.
You can use upto a 25mm atomizer with no overhang but the edges of the mod are bevelled.

The Menu, this is a bit tricky to begin with. To change mode you need to hold up and down and lock the power or temp then double click up and cycle through the modes. then unlock the temp.
click the power button 5 times to lock the device. Now press fire and up to change ohms fire and down flips the screen.
Up and Down will allow you to change wattage in temp mode.
To lock ohm's go into power mode press fire button 5 times to lock then up and down together.
Just like a DNA chip you can not switch the mod off it just goes into sleep mode unless you remove the batteries
so lock it with 5 clicks when not in use

Pro's:
waterproof chipset
Looks classy
Battery life is excellent unless using it at high wattage of course.,
nice to hold
firmware upgradability
Cosmetic customizability which does come at a cost as always.
Works fantastic
Passes dry burn test.
great 510 and build quality.

cons
getting used to the menu system
no reverse polarity protection
I also have my reservation about the battery contacts.
I actually had the mod fall out of my mod holster on the bus and it came open and a battery rolled across the floor when i went to put it back in it had pushed down the negative connection so i had to bend the connection back out slightly. works as usual again now with no issues. My R150 was a sample by what i can tell as it has the not for sale logo on the frame under the panel

Conclusion.

The r150 is solid and fires with no delay. it also passed the dry burn test in tc modes. I really like this device. It is a classy looking piece of equipment and a very good mod and one i am very pleased to own and use. There are a couple of small cons that could be ironed out by Hotcig. The menu system is not to much of a con once used to it. I give it a thumbs up

Where can you get one?
quite a few of the well known China sites have stock as well as the abalone drip tips.
Uk Greyhaze have sold out.
you can also try Hotcigs website which is also the only place i have seen the panel variants.
hot-vapor.com
or
[email protected].

Hope this review has been helpful and Thanks for reading it.

Last edited:
Got 2 of these updated one its now gone haywire , offical update for the correct version , it problems are when put in new cells it flashes for like 1min then eventually when it comes on to use its set at 120w needed adjusting down .

The second one board was doa so just been sat there , so stripped it down , took board out took contacts out and alinged then standard way
Left cell - at top + at bottom right cell + at top - at bottom
So its Correctly alined for wiring in balance Charging to diagrams for dna board ,
The board mount needs some metal grinding down to allow the double dna boards heat sinks to fit onto the board mount metal plate , done that now , just going to solder up the wires needed and hopefully build back up a dna a 250/167
Then when have time and money swap panels out for some Stabwood slices cut shaped and magnets fitted for a nicer working mod

Back
Top Bottom