What's new

How low can you go?

dividebyzero

Postman
I'm currently running at about .2 ohms in a tugboat V1 on a Tesla invader Classic with a pair of 20A Efests.

This is fine, the unit claims it will go down to 0.1 ohms, though I wouldn't go that low on it.

Seeing some of these guys on YouTube, they are running builds as low a 0.02 and stuff... which is crazy low. What would you run that on, battery wise?

Are we talking just straight copper tubing here? Or are there any mega-sub-ohm boxes out there? Even the Snow Wolf 200w only goes down to 0.05.

Personally, I think it may be too low for me to want to go, but I would like to know the answer anyways, having just ordered Godzilla from UD.

Thanks /0

Its worrying that you are even vaping at .2 without know how to even calculate the Amps :S

It doesn't matter what your MOD says you can go down to, its all about what your batteries can go down to.

Go and learn ohm's law, and read up on battery safety......please!

Last edited:
Most people running 0.0? are either doing it on:
Parralel boxes, which allow a total of 60 amp drain (roughly) whilst using 30 amp batteries... Which means you're technically okay down to 0.07...
Lipo Boxes, which allow... Stupid amounts of drain... As in, my mosfet will blow at 195amps... My battery, wont however... My fet is basically a 195 amp fuse...
Or Tube mechs with highly maintained batteries, but they're still silly... But, they only pull for a matter of a second or two, then let it cool down. This is purely for cloud comps.

But, the only 'safe' way to me, is a lipo... I've not once managed to stress mine... And I've tried.

Its worrying that you are even vaping at .2 without know how to even calculate the Amps :S

It doesn't matter what your MOD says you can go down to, its all about what your batteries can go down to.

Go and learn ohm's law, and read up on battery safety......please!

Errr.... I know ohms law thanks. How to use it and how to calculate it for the setup I have. Or at least I believe I do based on the research I have done.

For instance, if I was running my setup at .2 and my Batteries were at a 3.7v level (they run 4.2 - 3.2 I seem to recall), then that's 18.5 amps and 68.5w. This, I believe, is well within range for my unit (which claims it goes down to .1 ohms) and my batteries which are 2x 20A. Please stop me if something is wrong here, as I believe this to be fine.

You said it's not what the unit can do, it's what the batteries can do. This is wrong (well, partially). The Invader II has a 0.1 ohm limit. I listed what my batteries were... you seemed to miss that. You can't just stick 2x 30A batteries in this unit and run it at 60A when it is only rated to 40A.

My questions is what are people using to get down to 0.02 and the like? Is it just completely unprotected tubes?

Again, I am not looking to go there, something I saw looking at tri-coil setups, just find out how people are doing this? It seems beyond the range of any units / mods / even batteries I can find.

Last edited:
But, the only 'safe' way to me, is a lipo... I've not once managed to stress mine... And I've tried.

Awesome, that all makes sense thanks.

Certainly not for me at the moment, but I really wanted to know how people were doing it.

Errr.... I know ohms law thanks. How to use it and how to calculate it for the setup I have. Or at least I believe I do based on the research I have done.

For instance, if I was running my setup at .2 and my Batteries were at a 3.7v level (they run 4.2 - 3.2 I seem to recall), then that's 18.5 amps and 68.5w. This, I believe, is well within range for my unit (which claims it goes down to .1 ohms) and my batteries which are 2x 20A. Please stop me if something is wrong here, as I believe this to be fine.

OK, as you asked, I will stop you.

18650's can be in excess of 4.2v when full charged, we tend to use 4.2v as a reference as its unlikely to see anything higher due to voltage sag on the device you are using.....so the safe calculation would be:

4.2V at 0.2Ω = 21A & 88.2W of power.

(though, this calculation has a huge flaw in it, if you read on)

You said it's not what the unit can do, it's what the batteries can do. This is wrong (well, partially). The Invader II has a 0.1 ohm limit. I listed what my batteries were... you seemed to miss that. You can't just stick 2x 30A batteries in this unit and run it at 60A when it is only rated to 40A.

No, my statement was 100% correct.

What in the The Invader II is limiting the device from firing below 0.1Ω, or detecting the Amp ratting of your batteries?

The flaw, I would also point out that the 30A ratting for you Efests is the Pulse Ratting (PR) not the Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) that will in fact be considerably lower, making your calculation based on 30A not only wrong but potentially dangerous.

I'm not 100% sure on what you mean when you say:
You can't just stick 2x 30A batteries in this unit and run it at 60A when it is only rated to 40A.

Amp ratting is for the battery, not the device???? if your talking about the MOSFETS Amp ratting, that wil be much higher then 40 or 50Amp, so a little confused here to what you mean, unless you are talking about the Amp ratting of batteries doubling in parallel?

If so, a common misconception that batteries in parallel will double the Amp rating, not true, increase but not double.

Sorry if you found anything in any of my posts offensive, but we are dealing with dangerous things here, and fighting against a lot of misinformation.

Last edited:
Yeah peps1, your first post came across a bit hostile actually.

But in terms of my setup, I am well within safety range at .2 (it's actually .2x, not .20), even at full charge of 4.2 that's only 21A and for 2x 20A batteries, that is fine right?

I am quite aware that you don't get double from adding a second, but that should be fine here, as I am only reaching about 20A max in reality.

In my 2nd post, I said you can't just stick 2x 30A batteries in this unit as it is only rated to 40A... not that I have these batteries or would use them... as I would not.

You say you are confused where this 40A limit I talk about comes from - it comes from the device spec and I have no idea what the limiting factor would be, but not something I would want to push.

Note .1 ohm minimum resistance and 40A stated in specs (this unit does not come with batteries, so that output must be based on the unit spec).
http://www.teslacigs.com/products/132.html

I can't answer your question about what is in the Invader 2 that would limit this - but I would not want to get to that limit, even with bigger batteries, let alone go past it - back to the safety thing we were talking about. Probably only Tesla could answer that though.

The reason this whole post came about is that, looking at reviews for the Godzilla tri-coil RDA, I saw people talking about running them at mega low resistance, 0.02... when you calculate running that at a max 4.25v, that's over 200A and 900w!!! Which is what made me ask the question... how are people even running this low?! However, that has been answered now by Raguri.

It's not something I am looking to run myself, just curious how it was even possible.

Personally, at this time, the lowest I would be looking to build would be in the .2 - .3 sort of range for my drippers and tanks generally about the 1 ohm mark.

Yeah peps1, your first post came across a bit hostile actually.

Then I apologise, we get a fair few posts in the Sub Ohming section from people who want to vape at extremely low ohms without a fraction of the knowledge needed to do so safely, and the last thing vaping needs is more people exploding devices to give the antis ammunition to disparage vaping as a whole based on a fraction of people not doing the due diligence, and reading up on how to sub ohm safly.

But in terms of my setup, I am well within safety range at .2 (it's actually .2x, not .20), even at full charge of 4.2 that's only 21A and for 2x 20A batteries, that is fine right?

I would consider that low for using Efests, not knowing their true Continuous Discharge Rate, so the true Amp rating for vape usage.

In my 2nd post, I said you can't just stick 2x 30A batteries in this unit as it is only rated to 40A... not that I have these batteries or would use them... as I would not.

OK, I understand what you are saying now, but in the nicest way possible, you are wrong on this point....the Amp rating of a battery is not how many Amps it will deliver, but how many Amps it can safely discharge at, higher is always better.

So, you could use 2x 30A in your MOD, and that would in fact be safer then 20A batteries, as they cant handle being discharged at a higher amperage without failing (again with Efests the ratting they say is not a true representation of their amp, as there are two ways of ratting, pulse and continues, Efests use pulse ratting that is always higher then the continues rating by as much as 50%, but vaping is putting the battery under a continues load) but as they don't publish the continues ratting it makes definitely saying what is a safe build a little more tricky with sub ohm builds.

Note .1 ohm minimum resistance and 40A stated in specs (this unit does not come with batteries, so that output must be based on the unit spec).
http://www.teslacigs.com/products/132.html

I can't answer your question about what is in the Invader 2 that would limit this - but I would not want to get to that limit, even with bigger batteries, let alone go past it - back to the safety thing we were talking about. Probably only Tesla could answer that though.

OK, this will be 40A based on the fuses they are using for Reverse battery protection, but doesn't not mean you cant use batteries ratted over 20A each, for the reasons stated above about batteries Amp ratting being their limit, not how many Amps they will deliver to a device.

The reason this whole post came about is that, looking at reviews for the Godzilla tri-coil RDA, I saw people talking about running them at mega low resistance, 0.02... when you calculate running that at a max 4.25v, that's over 200A and 900w!!! Which is what made me ask the question... how are people even running this low?! However, that has been answered now by Raguri.

It's not something I am looking to run myself, just curious how it was even possible.

Personally, at this time, the lowest I would be looking to build would be in the .2 - .3 sort of range for my drippers and tanks generally about the 1 ohm mark.

Again I apologise about my first post coming across as hostile, clearly you are here to engage and learn, rather then just get as low Ohms as you can!

OK, I understand what you are saying now, but in the nicest way possible, you are wrong on this point....the Amp rating of a battery is not how many Amps it will deliver, but how many Amps it can safely discharge at, higher is always better.

Just to clarify, I do know that. However, I did explain that really badly. When I said you can't just bung 2x 30A batteries in and run it... the point was not about the batteries, it was about running it above the 40A max of the device.

I meant "You can't just stick really powerful batteries in this and run the unit at above its 40A max limit."

Anyways, I am glad we are both more on the same page now.

Thanks for the info and your time.

Back
Top Bottom