What's new

I'm sweet enough!

Mr Ripple

Legend
Anyone that has mixed any of my recipes will know I don't use sweetners. I never have and never will.
For me it's because I just can't stand the taste but maybe there's more to it?

Types of Sweeteners Used in E-Liquids and Their Effects
Sucralose & Ethyl Maltol eJuice Sweeteners by The Vape Shop

E-liquids often contain sweeteners to enhance their taste, with Ethyl Maltol and Sucralose being the most commonly used. While they improve flavour, their potential health impacts when inhaled through a heated vape device are concerning.

Ethyl Maltol​

Ethyl Maltol is a frequent choice for adding a sugary, candy-like flavour to e-liquids. It’s popular for its ability to soften the harshness of nicotine and provide a pleasant vaping experience. However, studies have shown that Ethyl Maltol can have detrimental effects on lung health. When inhaled, especially at high temperatures typical in vaping, it can interfere with lung airway epithelial cell metabolism. This interference can occur not just in primary users but also in secondhand exposure scenarios. The cytotoxic nature of inhaled Ethyl Maltol means it can damage cells, potentially leading to long-term respiratory issues.

Sucralose​

Sucralose is another widely used sweetener in e-liquids, chosen for its intense sweetness that doesn’t leave a bitter aftertaste. However, its stability is a major concern when subjected to the high temperatures of vaping devices. Upon heating, Sucralose can chemically decompose, forming potentially dangerous by-products like Chloropropanols and Dioxins.

Chloropropanol​

One of the by-products, Chloropropanol, can be particularly harmful when inhaled. It’s known to irritate the respiratory tract, including the nose and throat. Symptoms can range from mild irritation to more severe reactions like nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and incoordination. These effects indicate a direct toxic impact on the body, raising serious health concerns for regular vapers.

Dioxins​

Dioxins, a group of chemically related compounds, are known for their high toxicity. They are unintended by-products of the breakdown of Sucralose at high temperatures. Exposure to Dioxins through inhalation can lead to several health issues. These include reproductive and developmental problems, damage to the immune system, hormonal interference, and an increased risk of cancer. The World Health Organization classifies Dioxins as highly toxic, and their presence in e-liquids, even in small quantities, is a significant health risk.
In summary, while Ethyl Maltol and Sucralose enhance the flavour of e-liquids, their potentially harmful effects when inhaled, especially at high temperatures, are a cause for concern. These effects highlight the importance of being cautious about the ingredients in e-liquids and considering the health impacts of vaping.

Anyone that has mixed any of my recipes will know I don't use sweetners. I never have and never will.
For me it's because I just can't stand the taste but maybe there's more to it?

Types of Sweeteners Used in E-Liquids and Their Effects
Sucralose & Ethyl Maltol eJuice Sweeteners by The Vape Shop

E-liquids often contain sweeteners to enhance their taste, with Ethyl Maltol and Sucralose being the most commonly used. While they improve flavour, their potential health impacts when inhaled through a heated vape device are concerning.

Ethyl Maltol​

Ethyl Maltol is a frequent choice for adding a sugary, candy-like flavour to e-liquids. It’s popular for its ability to soften the harshness of nicotine and provide a pleasant vaping experience. However, studies have shown that Ethyl Maltol can have detrimental effects on lung health. When inhaled, especially at high temperatures typical in vaping, it can interfere with lung airway epithelial cell metabolism. This interference can occur not just in primary users but also in secondhand exposure scenarios. The cytotoxic nature of inhaled Ethyl Maltol means it can damage cells, potentially leading to long-term respiratory issues.

Sucralose​

Sucralose is another widely used sweetener in e-liquids, chosen for its intense sweetness that doesn’t leave a bitter aftertaste. However, its stability is a major concern when subjected to the high temperatures of vaping devices. Upon heating, Sucralose can chemically decompose, forming potentially dangerous by-products like Chloropropanols and Dioxins.

Chloropropanol​

One of the by-products, Chloropropanol, can be particularly harmful when inhaled. It’s known to irritate the respiratory tract, including the nose and throat. Symptoms can range from mild irritation to more severe reactions like nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and incoordination. These effects indicate a direct toxic impact on the body, raising serious health concerns for regular vapers.

Dioxins​

Dioxins, a group of chemically related compounds, are known for their high toxicity. They are unintended by-products of the breakdown of Sucralose at high temperatures. Exposure to Dioxins through inhalation can lead to several health issues. These include reproductive and developmental problems, damage to the immune system, hormonal interference, and an increased risk of cancer. The World Health Organization classifies Dioxins as highly toxic, and their presence in e-liquids, even in small quantities, is a significant health risk.
In summary, while Ethyl Maltol and Sucralose enhance the flavour of e-liquids, their potentially harmful effects when inhaled, especially at high temperatures, are a cause for concern. These effects highlight the importance of being cautious about the ingredients in e-liquids and considering the health impacts of vaping.
I've just got into trying to make my own recipes and I didn't get no sweetener with the flavours I got but thought I may need them to make it taste a little better. My first attempt wasn't overly great but it could be better. I think I just buy one shots and mix with basemix and nic. At least that way I know the flavour will be correct 😂

It takes a while to get used to having no sweetener. Just like nic, reduce the amount gradually and you'll be grand.

Quite a number of the base flavourings already have added sweetener so I can't do anything 'bout them if that particular flavour is necessary in my mix but, if I can possibly avoid it or sub out the offending flavouring, I do. It's undoubtedly true that, in some mixes, a drop of sweetener does make the mix 'pop' a little more (esp in fruity ones), not enough to risk cancer though :11:

Nice to see you back on Ripple.

I don't add additional sweetener to any mixes for myself. I try to find concentrates that are already sweet and layer them in so I'll likely have some sweetener in there from the concentrates themselves.

Got about 10/15 different strawberry and raspberry ones to choose from.

I use neotame for some friends as they like that disposable taste and even go as far as mixing neotame with sucralose for the super duper sweet enjoyers.

I do like some of the bar salt juices on occasion when I'm having a drink but generally I can't handle them for long.

It’s great to see you back @Mr Ripple, I have missed you around here with your mixing wisdom. I don’t like overly sweetened e juice or use ethyl maltol specifically for a sweetener but I do like 0.5% of Caps Super Sweet in my mixes as it helps make the flavours “pop” and they just don’t taste as good without it (I have tried). It’s the flavours that keep me from smoking tobacco so I’m hoping that my 0.5% of Super Sweet is still the lesser evil here. Thank you for sharing this information, I will certainly take this on board and try to cut down if I can.

You've got me thinking i might try without the sweeteners in future.
It does make the juices a bit more subtle if you leave the additional sweeteners out but you get used to it quickly enough and after a couple of months you can taste the added sweeteners in any juice.

Back
Top Bottom