What's new

Orca Solo vs Orca Solo Plus

Gitchy

Achiever
Oh look. Another orca solo plus review.

@Vaporesso have been very kind and sent a few of us the new solo plus to test. eyeball kid, iqon and BULLDOG1964 have already posted threads with their thoughts and all the specs. rew and RAPTOREX have also added their thoughts to eyeball's thread so lots to read about this wee device. There's also a cracking review on the front page of the site, which has a different take so thats worth reading as well.

Now it's my turn and I thought I'd compare the original orca solo to the plus version.

20200314_153654.jpg

Firstly there's the obvious size difference. The plus is a little bit taller and a little bit girthier than it's predecessor. This will be due to the increased battery size, up to 1200mah from the original 800mah.

Then there's the fact that this new version can take 0.6ohm coils as well as the 1.3 ones you can get for the original solo. It's advertised as taking the 0.6 and the 1.3 ccell coils but you can also get 1.3ohm normal coils as well and I did prefer those on the first solo as the ccell ones weren't to my taste.

I liked the orca solo. It's still one of the only devices I have that I enjoy mtl vaping on. I get very chesty with mtl, it just doesn't work well with me but pump some 36mg nic salts in the solo and its great. I also like a very restricted dtl on these types of starter devices so can use them well without having to mtl. But I do mtl with them to try them out.

Another difference is the airflow. The orca solo has a open airflow like this:
20200315_170046.jpg

Back when it was released the proper mtl folks thought it was a bit airy so it looks like vaporesso have noted this and redesigned the airflow to tighten it up.
20200315_170111.jpg

It's now more like the nautilus tanks with the little holes and it goes nicely tight on one hole. This design also makes it tighter fully open but like I said I like a restricted dtl so its not an issue for me. Still, they could have had a more open airflow, considering the solo plus is designed to use the sub ohm 0.6 coil.

And the 0.6 coil works well. Vapour is good and it gives a great flavour. I've really enjoyed the solo plus with this coil in it. Most pods and aios have this option now and the solo plus is one of the better ones imo. The only down side is that using more power uses up the battery quicker but you can lower the wattage with 3 clicks of the fire button and that's yet another upgrade on the orignal solo.

Mtl is also good with the 1.3 coils. The ccell works better on the plus for me and I tried my best to dry hit it but couldn't do it. I sat for 5 minutes dtl chain vaping today with some low nic juice and the closest I got was to get a slight cotton taste on one of the draws and a pretty dry mouth.

20200315_102829.jpg

Anyway. This one's going to a mate to help them stop smoking but I did enjoy my time with it.

Attachments

• 20200315_170508.jpg
    20200315_170508.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 65

@Vaporesso have been very kind and sent a few of us the new solo plus to test. eyeball kid, iqon and BULLDOG1964 have already posted threads with their thoughts and all the specs. rew and RAPTOREX have also added their thoughts to eyeball's thread so lots to read about this wee device. There's also a cracking review on the front page of the site, which has a different take so thats worth reading as well.

Now it's my turn and I thought I'd compare the original orca solo to the plus version.

View attachment 213166

Firstly there's the obvious size difference. The plus is a little bit taller and a little bit girthier than it's predecessor. This will be due to the increased battery size, up to 1200mah from the original 800mah.

Then there's the fact that this new version can take 0.6ohm coils as well as the 1.3 ones you can get for the original solo. It's advertised as taking the 0.6 and the 1.3 ccell coils but you can also get 1.3ohm normal coils as well and I did prefer those on the first solo as the ccell ones weren't to my taste.

I liked the orca solo. It's still one of the only devices I have that I enjoy mtl vaping on. I get very chesty with mtl, it just doesn't work well with me but pump some 36mg nic salts in the solo and its great. I also like a very restricted dtl on these types of starter devices so can use them well without having to mtl. But I do mtl with them to try them out.

View attachment 213168
Back when it was released the proper mtl folks thought it was a bit airy so it looks like vaporesso have noted this and redesigned the airflow to tighten it up.
View attachment 213169

It's now more like the nautilus tanks with the little holes and it goes nicely tight on one hole. This design also makes it tighter fully open but like I said I like a restricted dtl so its not an issue for me. Still, they could have had a more open airflow, considering the solo plus is designed to use the sub ohm 0.6 coil.

And the 0.6 coil works well. Vapour is good and it gives a great flavour. I've really enjoyed the solo plus with this coil in it. Most pods and aios have this option now and the solo plus is one of the better ones imo. The only down side is that using more power uses up the battery quicker but you can lower the wattage with 3 clicks of the fire button and that's yet another upgrade on the orignal solo.

Mtl is also good with the 1.3 coils. The ccell works better on the plus for me and I tried my best to dry hit it but couldn't do it. I sat for 5 minutes dtl chain vaping today with some low nic juice and the closest I got was to get a slight cotton taste on one of the draws and a pretty dry mouth.

View attachment 213182

Anyway. This one's going to a mate to help them stop smoking but I did enjoy my time with it.
Good one Gitchy. I like vs reviews, helps to see if there are improvements or no, something to gauge things by.
For some reason the when I read the opening comment it was in Zoidbergs voice. "Oh look..... :18:

Last edited:

View attachment 213166

View attachment 213168
View attachment 213169

View attachment 213182

Nice review bud. Good to have a slightly different take on it.

Nice review mate. I had the Solo but just couldn't get on with it, it felt like a cheap toy to me so I gave it to someone at work who wanted to try vaping. He's been off the fags for about 3 months now and has graduated to sub ohm with 3 mods and three tanks. I guess it served its purpose [emoji16]

Nice review mate. I had the Solo but just couldn't get on with it, it felt like a cheap toy to me so I gave it to someone at work who wanted to try vaping. He's been off the fags for about 3 months now and has graduated to sub ohm with 3 mods and three tanks. I guess it served its purpose [emoji16]
Nailed it this time banj.
Solid but small with superb flavour and wicking beyond it's size.
Nice review @Gitchy

I'm going to do a longer term review. I want to chew through a few coils and 100mls of juice, before I make any real comments. It's why I'm grateful so many have posted shorter term views. Hopefully it will offer a good comparison.

I'm going to do a longer term review. I want to chew through a few coils and 100mls of juice, before I make any real comments. It's why I'm grateful so many have posted shorter term views. Hopefully it will offer a good comparison.
Good plan.
Certainly the best stock I've used out of the gate. I think simon g got on well with the v1 long term. Could be mis remembering though.

To my shame, I didn't even try the version one. I passed it straight on to a neighbour. However my daughter bought one, to replace the odd stinkie she has on night out, So I'll pinch that for a quick comparison. But I'll rely on her for MTL views, too much PG does me in.

To my shame, I didn't even try the version one. I passed it straight on to a neighbour. However my daughter bought one, to replace the odd stinkie she has on night out, So I'll pinch that for a quick comparison. But I'll rely on her for MTL views, too much PG does me in.

It's a good idea to see how it lasts long term. I've given mine to a new vaper at my work so can see how it goes for her as someone who isn't into all the kit like us. She's been using a pod system I had spare so far but it's been leaking on her so the Solo Plus is perfect to keep her interested and off the smokes. Hopefully the coils stay as available as the orginal solo ones are.

Back
Top Bottom