What's new

Review Protovapor XPV

u8myufo

Achiever
Well that time has come to do a little review, I am not a man of many words and what I do usually come out with is a load of bollocks, but I will make an effort here to put my few thoughts across.
I ordered this on the 31st December from Protovapor and it arrived in just over two weeks. It`s journey was tracked by a USPS number and you can ask for email updates regarding this which is handy, once it said it had landed in the UK it was a couple of days wait, and you won`t get any joy from using the tracking number with the PO despite them telling you to replace the last two letters with "GB". Price including shipping worked out at £127.89, on top of that there was the dreaded customs of a fiver plus eight sobs from those robbing fuckers at the PO. Still, all in all I felt it worked out reasonable for a DN20 mod.

Ok in the box you get the Mod, a card with the serial number, a usb charging cable and a little placcy bag with a little "O" ring, although I got no idea what that is for but will ask on ECF later. A spare square Black plate which is to use if you decide to take the belt clip off, as the plate is part of the belt clip. The belt clip itself seems quite sturdy and has a strong springyness to it, it is made of some kind of non metal material but only some real abuse could I see it getting broke, only time will tell on that front. Lastly there is an adapter, there are two options when ordering from memory, either a raised 510/ego fitting or a sunken 510, I went for the sunken 510 to suite my tanks so I thought it was a nice little touch to include the adapter as well. The body itself is made of aluminium and a choice of coloured coatings are available on ordering, I went for the Blue at the time. So being made of what it is makes this Mod fairly light in comparison to a mech or any other VV/VW device, some may not like that but it makes a change not to be carrying a half kilo of metal about. Full spec of the XPV can be found HERE They also have a little Blog HERE and the DNA30 looks to be just around the corner, word has it they will be bringing out a twin battery box mod at some point. Talking of batteries I went with the 2900 Panasonic Hybrid version.

Well it looks different if nothing else with a round tank on the top.

IMG_1949_zps4314ab79.jpg

Included adapter which shows an adjustable positive pin, the countersunk 510 on the mod is not adjustable.

IMG_1965_zpse93da318.jpg

Adapter and Belt clip view from the side.

IMG_1969_zps4efe1c87.jpg

View of the only two controls you use. Top Red switch is the main one for on/off and firing, again you have a choice of colour on ordering. The switch has a nice feel of pressure on it and does not need to be hammered to fuck to get it to work, they claim this to be of NASA design, only time will tell. To operate the switch it is a simple case of pressing five times within 7 seconds, plenty of time so again no need to be pressing it like a man posessed to get it to operate.Once on it will briefly do a quick check before going to the main display. A further 5 gentle presses of the switch will power down the unit again, if the unit is left switched on for more than four minutes it will automatically go into sleep mode and can be woke up just by a single press of the switch when you go to take a draw on it. Underneath this there is a jog wheel, moving it up increases the power and down for decreasing, this can be done in .1 increments or if you hold it either up or down it will cycle through respectivly gradualy increasing speed as it does it.

IMG_1960_zpsa5cfe5bf.jpg

Next up is numbers. I hate fucking numbers always have done, make of these numbers as you wish. Don`t tell me it`s not on the right setting as I dont` give a fuck about numbers. Besides it`s for demonstration purposes.

IMG_1964_zps6279d21e.jpg

Lastly a pic for comparison against a couple of mechs

IMG_1957_zpsa4defc19.jpg

Overall verdict. Yup really pleased so far with this and the vape on it is really smooth, like I say it may not be to everybodys taste but it suites my needs, stateside they are going mad for them at the moment and as I mentioned before I have not read a bad thing about them to date. Protovapor seem really proud with their product, as long as this one keeps going I might well look into a DNA30 later down the road. It just leaves me now to start trying a few dual coil setups and pushing the power up a notch or three :D well thanks for looking and apologies if I have missed anything out of this review.

Last edited:
Awesome review Rich and some great snaps!
I like the look of this. The thing that was putting me off the vaporshark was how silly a 22mm atty would look on it and the measly battery life. This device seems to answer both those concerns.
Defo going on my wish list!

Nice kit, nice review, now I need to convince the GF that I need one too.

Sent by lazer from just north of the world's largest nuclear dustbin

Looks good Rich, will keep an eye on this to see how you get on with it, I Want a dna 20 box mod.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Nice review.

I had a look at these when you first mentioned them. Looks like a nice bit of kit and I like the "unusual" look of them. Only thing that put me off is the built in battery. Not sure how replaceable they would be when they start to give up.

Nice review.

I had a look at these when you first mentioned them. Looks like a nice bit of kit and I like the "unusual" look of them. Only thing that put me off is the built in battery. Not sure how replaceable they would be when they start to give up.

Just waiting for somebody to strip one down Dave :D protovapor do offer a free replacement battery at the end of it`s life and will fit it. Obviously that is fine if you live a little nearer. One of the guy`s on ECF contacted them regarding doing a DIY replacment of the battery. They replied and said whilst it is tricky to put it back together for the first time it is possible, they are now looking at putting up some step by step instructions with pictures on their site. Apparently the battery has tabs either end, not sure yet what exactly the connections are like though, maybe a spade lug. I guess there might be a supplier nearer home that does a suitable battery with tabs, I have seen a few on the Bay but most were from HK or likewise, I would sooner order a spare from Protovapor or look for a UK supplier. On a note about the battery, when I recieved mine it was part charged, using it yesterday I ran it down to about a quarter left. The usb connection is nice and solid inside the unit, to get it back up to full charge took about an hour, the Red charging light turns to Green when finished and will go out completely after a while if you leave it plugged in.

Last edited:
Just an update to add to this thread, pre orders for the DNA30 version are being taken this week. And they will be announced on their site next week. To add to this they are offering XPV owners an upgrade and will replace the chip replace the battery, and the customer gets to keep the DNA20 chip as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom