What's new

Review Smok Xpro M80 Plus

philTBA

Achiever
Usual T&Cs, no connections, nothing given for review, own money, etc etc......

Smok Xpro M80 Plus.
I purchased this from SRVapes (you can check them out in the vendors reviews section) out of a list of similarly priced box mods. The budget was around the £40 - £60 mark, this came out on top, on paper.
It arrived Monday morning.
The M80 comes in the now usual stylish presentation box.

Again, the usual contents,

I have to say, when this arrived, i wasn't sure about it. It seemed to be an odd shape, sort of, over square, not quite 'right'. This it probably due to being used to the more conventional, rectangular/brick shaped box mods I use.

The M80 has a solid feel, with a one piece aluminium alloy and zink alloy outer case with mirror finish end caps. The case has pretty tasteful logo branding on both sides.
(Other opinions are also available)

These end caps may give anyone with OCD tendencies nightmares with fingerprints or marks, the bottom plate has the micro USB charge port and vents for the batteries. IF there's ever an issue with the batteries, they'll vent out the bottom, AWAY from your face/hands. This has to be a good thing !

The leading edge has all the controls/info panel, with the fire /menu select button, power up/down buttons, info screen and reset pin. The screen displays the usual, battery indicator, watts, firing volts & resistance of coil. I will say, the resistance display is the most accurate out of all my box mods, reading only .01 higher than than the same coil reads on my ohm meter.
5 rapid clicks on the fire button turns the mod on/off. 3 rapid clicks of the same button enters the menu function, this allows access to, 1. Select wattage mode, temp mode or mech mode. 2. 'Puff plan'. 3. Date/time 4. Temp mode, temperature adjustment control. 5. Another on/off option.

The fire button seemed a bit loose/rattley, it is, BUT, it's NOT A FAULT, it works perfectly well, and has a nice positive, while light 'click' when used. It's just 'different' to what most people are used to. After a nights use, my initial lack of enthusiasm for this box mod has changed. I really like it. If you take the temp control and mechanical mode options out of the mix, an 80w box mod for £41.99 is a damned good deal, I paid more than that for my MVP30w's. It's solid, light and sits nicely in your hand (once you get used to the shape) and packs a fair sized punch for its small size.
I've yet to 'play' with the features, I'm expecting some Ni200 coils today*, so the temp control will get a run. The mech mode will have to wait for a while, until I've done some research, as I've only used regulated mods up to now, and I really don't want to get that wrong !
So,far, I'm impressed with the M80, impressed enough that I'm very happy with this purchase.
Taking this as just an 80w mod, and one that I can use when my hands go south in the evenings, it's a winner.
Would I recommend the M80 ?
After just a nights use, it's definatly worth its place on your list of choices. For someone who just wants to upgrade to a box mod with more power, @ the price, it's a winner, and will have the TC & mech mode in reserve for use later.

As usual, I'll update this in a week or so, once I've lived with it, and had a chance to explore the temp cont/mech mode.

Now the techy stuff.

The specs.
4400mAh, 2x built in 18650 LiPo batteries,
USB charge port, (vape while charging)
80w vw (6 - 80 in .1w increments)
temperature control (200 - 900f)
0.1 - 3ohm,
174 grams,
85 x 55 x 22mm,
approx 3 hour charge time.

tis a nice bit of kit got mine in grey on sat just wondering tho does yours have a little hum to it when the screen is on?

tis a nice bit of kit got mine in grey on sat just wondering tho does yours have a little hum to it when the screen is on?

Is seen someone mention that on another thread. I meant to check last night but forgot. Just checked now. Nothing at all, dead silent on mine. I do know that mine was from a batch fresh from Smok, there may have been some changes made on later production runs, so that could be why.

Is seen someone mention that on another thread. I meant to check last night but forgot. Just checked now. Nothing at all, dead silent on mine. I do know that mine was from a batch fresh from Smok, there may have been some changes made on later production runs, so that could be why.

could be mine was dated 29/5/2015 when i checked the scratch off code on the website

Mine does too, but i doubt its anything to worry about. Mine just sounds the insides buzzing about and doing their job. It it noticeably louder than my other mods though.

Temp control update

I'll start by saying, this is my first mod with temp control, I've been told the M80 TC works 'differently' than other TC mods. As I've not used any other type, I can't compare this to others, but will just explain how the M80 controls the temp.
The set up.
Kanger suntank mini
Kanger .5 ohm Ni200 coil (20 - 45w)
M80
When you select temp mode, the set temp is displayed where the fire volts had been displayed.

When you press the fire button, the 'real time' coil temp is displayed in the same place.
I started at 20w and 200f then increased the watts in 5 watt steps up to 45w, then increased the temperature in 50f steps up to the maximum 900f. (Temp increases in 10f steps)
This system works on a combination of set temp, and set watts. At 20w & 200f when the fire button is pressed, firing starts at around 9w then increases up until the set temp is reached, then caps the watts at that level. When set to 45w & 200f, the same happens, but won't get close to the maximum watts. (Watts increase stops around 26.8) Take it up to 900f, again at 45w, initial fire point is 26.9w increasing to 44.9w. It seems, once you increase the set temp higher that the set watts can achieve, the set watts then limit the max temperature.
At 20w/200f the vape was so cool I thought it hadn't fired, until I exhaled a decent cloud of vapour ! At 45w/900f, there's a bit more heat, you know it's fired, but it's,still a cool vape, and many more cloud.
I actually gave myself a light head chain vapeing, @ 45w/900f tryin to force anything odd/untoward/iffy or dry hit.
Nada, nothing, not a hint ! And the vape stayed cool the whole time.
I can only assume this will show its true worth on super sub ohm dripper or RBA builds, that can take much more power than the Kanger .5 ohm nickel coils are rated to.
Personally, I like this TC on the M80, It seems to work fine, and I always found the subtanks too hot for me on standard sub ohm coils, and at £9.99 per pack of 5 Ni200 coils from SR Vapes (same price as 'standard' 1.2 & .5ohm 5 packs) it's not costing any extra.

Oddly, the Kanger coil seems to have 'settled in" as after some use, it's now reading as 0.17ohm, when it had read as 0.5ohm. I only noticed this as the heat of the vape increased, I checked it on the meter in case the M80 was giving a false reading, but no, it has,dropped to .17. Again, I don't know if this is normal, as its first time I've used nickel coils. Due to this I've dropped the temp cap to 600f to bring the heat back down to where it had been.

At this point I'll also add, the included instructions are basic. Clear to understand, but dont expect detailed instructions on all the features, they explain clearly menu lists, and how to access them, but that's your lot ! You'll also notice, it's now reading as .11 ohm.

I have a m80 plus too and love it. I haven't used the temperature control setting yet but next time I need coils I will get the nickel ones for my smok vct pro tank and have a go :-)

Great review. I'm considering getting on of these. Would you say that there is anything out at the min which is comparable in spec and price thats worth looking at? Also, which tank would you say would be the best all rounder to run this with?
I'm thinking i will get the mod + tank and later a dripper for cloud parties [emoji6]
Cheers,
Ash

Great review. I'm considering getting on of these. Would you say that there is anything out at the min which is comparable in spec and price thats worth looking at? Also, which tank would you say would be the best all rounder to run this with?
I'm thinking i will get the mod + tank and later a dripper for cloud parties [emoji6]
Cheers,
Ash

Hi, tbh, the price SRVapes are selling these at is hard to beat, even for a 'straight' 80w mod without the 'extras' I've seen these for sale at around £50 and above. I've not used the temp control much, as the vape is a bit too cool for my liking. (Subtank mini/Ni200 coils) and not used the mech mode at all. (I like the ease of just winding the power up.) I've also not got round to setting the time/date function either.
The M80 works well with my subtank, Atlantis, Zephyrus & dripper.
My subtank runs 1.2ohm coils, so no real need for more than 20-25w, the others run sub ohm, so very happy at higher power.
Running at 35-45w with a few stints of 60w with my dripper will still give a good days use. (I vape pretty much constantly all day)
I have seen some reports of the USB charge port coming loose inside the mod. I've started using a different charge lead than the one supplied, as the lead than comes with them did feel very stiff/tight to plug & unplug. My other leads don't feel as bad, so hopefully this should help avoid any issues down the line.

Back
Top Bottom