What's new

Steeping Secrets Revealed

csgoat

Initiate
Alright guys, I have just been on here checking out some of the tips and tricks to steeping. I have done a great deal of them myself and researched many more. Following is the simplest guide to steeping that you are going to find.

First and foremost, a lot of steeping depends on your flavor. Not just sweet vs. savory, but also on who makes the flavor concentrate you are using. I have tried quite a few, but have come to settle on "The Flavor's Apprentice" (TFA). These are highly concentrated and a very little bit goes a long way. Most of my mixes use at least three different flavors, some up to seven. My total percentage of flavor usually totals 20%.

Now, for the meat and potatoes. If you are using more fruity flavors, then doing a quick steep in a hot water bath is just as good as letting it sit for a few days. Get your water BOILING, as in, on a stove, in a pot. Now, you might say "but I can boil water in the microwave". Without going in to too much detail, yes, you can, but because of how a microwave works, the heat disperses too quickly and this isn't good. So, get a pot boiling on a stove, Remove the pot from the heat, shake your fresh bottle of juice, then put it in the water. Let it sit until the water is at room temperature, usually about 30 to 45 minutes. There really isn't a need to reach in and keep shaking it. The heat is acting as a catalyst which is breaking down all of your components, as it cools, everything bonds together as it should. I would recommend using a plastic BPA free bottle for this simply because glass bottles range in density and can break when exposed to the heat. If you really want glass, what I did was test the bottle first, boil the water, drop it in. That way, you are only out a bottle instead of a bottle plus juice.

If you are using more savory flavors such as Belgium waffle, French toast, Chocolate, or basically anything that is non fruity, usually about 4-7 days in a cool dry place is the best. I have a small wooden box, I drop them in that, and put them out of direct sunlight. Patience is key. Try it as soon as it is mixed, take your notes, then put it away and try it (on an RDA of course) every day or so. After about a week, it will be as good as it can get. Time acts as the catalyst here and really does give an actual infusion of the flavor. Leaves you with deeper flavor and more subtle notes.

Now comes the debunk. Some of you may disagree, and that is fine. But this is based on science, as well as trial and error. These seem to be the three most common that people have questions about, so here goes.

Sonic cleaners, this is a new one. Yeah, don't do it. First, not a lot of people can afford a sonic cleaner, second, all you are doing is shaking the juice repeatedly. Nothing is acting as a catalyst and therefore, nothing is actually bonding. Some might say "the shaking is a catalyst", No, it isn't. The shaking is blending, but not bonding. Will taste great for a couple of hours after, but then it will go flat since no bonds were actually made.

Direct sunlight.
Ever wonder why your nicotine comes in a black bottle? It isn't to look cool, it is because prolonged exposure to light will cause the nicotine to break down and go bad. When you leave your juice in the sunlight, this happens pretty rapidly, and is the cause for the discoloration. The sunlight will also cause some of your juice to evaporate, not a huge deal since it is a minute amount, but this will throw off your actual ratio and cause the flavor to be less than a good infusion.

Frothing.
Yeah, no. I am not going to purchase a milk frother and since this method takes a couple of days anyway, you might as well just let the juice sit and infuse itself.

So, there you have it. Hot water bath for fruity flavors, time for something with a more complex profile and more subtle notes. I hope this helps. Any questions? Feel free to ask below.

-----Edit-----
Thanks for the input guys. I greatly appreciate it. I do understand that some will choose to use hot water and not boiling. I have had the most success with boiling water. I have tried hot, and I have done boiling, and honestly, it just seems as if I get a fuller flavor with boiling. Though depending on what ingredients you guys are using, Hot water may be just fine. Especially in the case if your VG is a bit thinner.
ZT I have never heard of taking the cap off and sticking it in a drawer. This in and of itself just doesn't make sense and I completely disagree with it. Especially since I am prone to knocking things over and this would just waste the juice. Thanks for the tip that this is out there, I will keep it in mind and attempt to educate if I ever see it out there.

@Peej I would not recommend "pre-mixing". The steep process is allowing all of your ingredients to come together and mix. The nicotine does have an effect on the flavor and your VG will affect the consistency of your juice. ZT is right, you should go ahead and do a large batch of several different flavors at once. Give yourself something to vape on while you are waiting for that precious Omega mix to come to full flavor.
mxethey usually about a week is all that I give my juice to steep. It seems that the most flavor I am going to get is at about the week long point. Thought it seems as though custard is the one that takes the longest, more than a month in some cases. I love custard, but have never been a big fan of custard flavor juice, so I am going to pass on that one and leave it to those that enjoy such a thing.
twoeyedbob Sunlight and juice just don't mix. The best thing to do is get in to a rotation. I know this can be a bit difficult when first starting out with a new batch because you want to vape it, you want to taste it, you want to kick back and enjoy it, but trust me. Time is always your best option. Again, I'm not a huge fan of custard flavor, so I can't really speak to that portion of it. But nothing beats time. Any time you speed up a steep, you are going to lose out on the depth of flavor. Custard is really complex and in order to get it right and have something that tastes like actual custard, I would avoid speeding up the steep. Anything that complex needs time. As for your Grants clone. I would recommend it sounds as if you might have PG sensitivity. Since most flavors are PG based, I would be willing to bet it is the PG and not the actual flavoring itself. Mix it up a gain, try it fresh, no fast steep etc. Then skip all of the agitation and speed steep methods and let it sit for a week. Try it, if it still isn't right, give it another week and so on for about a month, maybe two. If it still isn't right after two months of wait time, then try to find a new recipe. And remember, using straight VG will limit the amount of flavor you will receive. Flavors typically bond more to PG than VG.

As always, any more questions, post them here or shoot me a PM.

Last edited:
Alright guys, I have just been on here checking out some of the tips and tricks to steeping. I have done a great deal of them myself and researched many more. Following is the simplest guide to steeping that you are going to find.

First and foremost, a lot of steeping depends on your flavor. Not just sweet vs. savory, but also on who makes the flavor concentrate you are using. I have tried quite a few, but have come to settle on "The Flavor's Apprentice" (TFA). These are highly concentrated and a very little bit goes a long way. Most of my mixes use at least three different flavors, some up to seven. My total percentage of flavor usually totals 20%.

Now, for the meat and potatoes. If you are using more fruity flavors, then doing a quick steep in a hot water bath is just as good as letting it sit for a few days. Get your water BOILING, as in, on a stove, in a pot. Now, you might say "but I can boil water in the microwave". Without going in to too much detail, yes, you can, but because of how a microwave works, the heat disperses too quickly and this isn't good. So, get a pot boiling on a stove, Remove the pot from the heat, shake your fresh bottle of juice, then put it in the water. Let it sit until the water is at room temperature, usually about 30 to 45 minutes. There really isn't a need to reach in and keep shaking it. The heat is acting as a catalyst which is breaking down all of your components, as it cools, everything bonds together as it should. I would recommend using a plastic BPA free bottle for this simply because glass bottles range in density and can break when exposed to the heat. If you really want glass, what I did was test the bottle first, boil the water, drop it in. That way, you are only out a bottle instead of a bottle plus juice.

If you are using more savory flavors such as Belgium waffle, French toast, Chocolate, or basically anything that is non fruity, usually about 4-7 days in a cool dry place is the best. I have a small wooden box, I drop them in that, and put them out of direct sunlight. Patience is key. Try it as soon as it is mixed, take your notes, then put it away and try it (on an RDA of course) every day or so. After about a week, it will be as good as it can get. Time acts as the catalyst here and really does give an actual infusion of the flavor. Leaves you with deeper flavor and more subtle notes.

Now comes the debunk. Some of you may disagree, and that is fine. But this is based on science, as well as trial and error. These seem to be the three most common that people have questions about, so here goes.

Sonic cleaners, this is a new one. Yeah, don't do it. First, not a lot of people can afford a sonic cleaner, second, all you are doing is shaking the juice repeatedly. Nothing is acting as a catalyst and therefore, nothing is actually bonding. Some might say "the shaking is a catalyst", No, it isn't. The shaking is blending, but not bonding. Will taste great for a couple of hours after, but then it will go flat since no bonds were actually made.

Direct sunlight.
Ever wonder why your nicotine comes in a black bottle? It isn't to look cool, it is because prolonged exposure to light will cause the nicotine to break down and go bad. When you leave your juice in the sunlight, this happens pretty rapidly, and is the cause for the discoloration. The sunlight will also cause some of your juice to evaporate, not a huge deal since it is a minute amount, but this will throw off your actual ratio and cause the flavor to be less than a good infusion.

Frothing.
Yeah, no. I am not going to purchase a milk frother and since this method takes a couple of days anyway, you might as well just let the juice sit and infuse itself.

So, there you have it. Hot water bath for fruity flavors, time for something with a more complex profile and more subtle notes. I hope this helps. Any questions? Feel free to ask below.
<--- man speak da sense

im so pleased you didn't say "take the cap off and stick it in a draw" which is one of my personal pet hates - you wouldn't leave any other consumable uncovered for days.

i have some flavours that require the water bath method myself. I also have some bridged flavours that require pre steeping before being mixed together then steeped for a short time again.

all based on lots and lots of trial and error.

I take ale my hat off to ya for such a good article to help new mixers on their way - have a rep point

The problem I have is that I have very little patience, if I understand it correctly (please shoot me down if I am wrong) but the bonding is between the PG and the flavour.

So, given that I seem to be unable to keep made up juice for more than a day or two, will it steep if I simply mix up the PG and flaours, then when I need more juice make it up from the pre-steeped PG/flavour by adding the VG and Nic and then vape it almost immediately (I can wait for a day or two, sometimes) ?

The problem I have is that I have very little patience, if I understand it correctly (please shoot me down if I am wrong) but the bonding is between the PG and the flavour.

So, given that I seem to be unable to keep made up juice for more than a day or two, will it steep if I simply mix up the PG and flaours, then when I need more juice make it up from the pre-steeped PG/flavour by adding the VG and Nic and then vape it almost immediately (I can wait for a day or two, sometimes) ?

Part of the process is also the nic acting with the other ingredients ...

a better piece of advice would be to stock up, I get that you are going to vape it almost immediately .. BUT

make some to vape immediately and at the same time make some more .. that can sit for a week or 2 .. make some more BEFORE you run out of that one, get yourself into a cycle of having pre steeped lying around :)

Last edited:
method

I have to say that i had a similar experience when mixing up a batch of cin cookie using atmos labs.
They also recommend the same method. At first i was not sure, i have been mixing the shake and top off frothing method for all my juices but was very suprised on the steeped flavour after only 1 week with atmos labs concentrate.
I hope its not just the flavour that worked, so i have ordered manderian flavour and will steep the same way.
Will let you all know the results when its done.
The only slight change to this method is to immerse the liquid in hot water and not boilng water of the stove or kettle ?.

just to make it clear i used the cap on, no shaking method put in hot water on the atmos lab juice i made

Last edited:
this does contradict some info i've come across...alot of it gained by scientific method as well.
From what i understand sunlight does indeed degrade nicotine..however it seems to take months for this to happen to any significant degree.
Bearing in mind that 99% of this stuff will be vaped within a few weeks of being ready at most ,does that really matter ?
Bit of a red herring in most cases.
The question is ,does it speed up steeping ?
Of custards specifically which most suggest take up to a month (using the dark cupboard process) and therefore seem to benefit most from any speeding up process .

this does contradict some info i've come across...alot of it gained by scientific method as well.
From what i understand sunlight does indeed degrade nicotine..however it seems to take months for this to happen to any significant degree.
Bearing in mind that 99% of this stuff will be vaped within a few weeks of being ready at most ,does that really matter ?
Bit of a red herring in most cases.
The question is ,does it speed up steeping ?
Of custards specifically which most suggest take up to a month (using the dark cupboard process) and therefore seem to benefit most from any speeding up process .

I think the thing is .. why degrade the nicotine at all if you don't have too ?

the warm water method DEFINITELY does speed up the process .. although I find the favour obtained from natural patient steeping (except in a few cases which ill come to in a minute) to be a bit superior. like most things patience is a virtue.

I have found a very few flavours are actually better when steeped first by using the hot water method than by natural steeping alone .. fruits especially, tho not limited too.

I wouldn't use boiling water to do it tho .. a kettle that has cooled for 15 mins .. or as hot as you can get it out the tap for me personally (though I don't claim to be using the CORRECT procedure ... just one that works for me), apparently heat has detrimental effects on nicotine as well.

I use the hot water bath method for testing flavours when I am creating .. and I leave them in the hot water to cool over night.

it doesn't give you the EXACT finished result of a good steep, but for testing creations its adequate - you get to know flavours and can get a sense of how they will develop over time.

The truth of it for me though .. is as a rule , except in the few cases mentioned, there is no substitute for patience and time.

Leaving a cap off a bottle is inviting in dust, animal hairs ,ebola, marburg and space flu - though of course .. theoretically these should be destroyed on the atomiser ..

don't leave the cap off kids ... its mental.

but of course .. thats just my opinion :)

Last edited:
thanks for replying...
i used a microwaveable heatpad instead of the waterbath...
Cos my sticky labels dont like water..:-)
It probably has a similar but prolonged effect.

edit due to waffle

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom