What's new

Voopoo Drag 5

Gitchy

Achiever
Sue @Healthcabin sent this mod over for me to try out. I am not affiliated with Healthcabin and do not get paid to do reviews for them.

20240927-182738~2.jpg

The Voopoo Drag 5 Mod

https://www.healthcabin.net/voopoo-drag-5-177w-box-mod-p/30056.html

This is the latest in the Voopoo Drag line. I’ve been ‘Sparking my life’ as the Voopoo marketing slogan says for a while now but I’ve not had a Drag mod since the Drag 2 so it’s nice to be back with a mod that I know I’m going to enjoy, what with it being the flagship mod for the Voopoo brand.

The Drag 5 goes up to 177w and works on 2 external 18650 batteries. It has a new ‘smart C frame battery cover’ which I’ll go into in a bit, along with a battery evaluation system in the chip, which is a new thing on me. The mod weighs a specific 156.68 grams, I’m assuming that’s without batteries mind you. Tanks of up to 25mm will fit so if you’re using most standard tanks then it’s fine. Not so great for bigger RTAs and such though.

In the box you get:

1 Drag 5 Device
1 User Manual
1 Type-C Cable

20241015-122341.jpg

Style wise it’s a bit different from previous iterations in that there’s no massive branding all over it. No, huge DRAG emblemised across one of the sides. They may have changed things on the drag 4 already but I was happy to see the restraint straight away when I opened up the box. There are a few additions to the style, the first being the battery cover. It’s kind of hard to explain but they have basically made the battery cover open like a book cover on this mod. The leather cover with a metal edge comes away from its magnets and opens, exposing the batteries and allowing you to change them quickly, without having to take off a metal panel or click a button to open. It’s a nice change and something different for a change. I do wonder if wear and tear will slowly take hold eventually but so far, it’s been working great, and I love that there’s a wee bit of give so that I can fiddle away with the cover while holding the mod. You can also take the whole panel off so there’s the option for customisation, but at the moment you can’t buy the panels so the only way to get a different one would be to buy another mod and swap them over.

There’s a nice 0.96” TFT screen that shows all of the information nicely, and there’s an added fire animation that comes up on the screen when you hit the fire button to take a draw. Voopoo have gone all out to try and give a different experience here.

On the front you have the screen, the fire button, a lock button (that you can customise in the menu), your plus and minus adjustment buttons and a USB type C slot at the bottom so that you can charge up whilst the mod is standing if that’s your thing.

20241015-122548.jpg

Function wise, there are 4 modes. Smart, RBA (normal VW), eco and TC. There is no TCR on this mod so the TC settings are all presets, something that is becoming a lot more prevalent with TC capable mods these days. I’d say if you want the whole TC experience then you’re better off getting a mod with a DNA chip, as has pretty much always been the case anyway.

There isn’t just the mode menu. You can change the function of the lock switch, from locking all of the buttons to an off/on switch or to just locking the adjustment buttons. It’s your call. You can also change the colour of the info screen, turn off the animation when you fire the mod, reset the puff counter or evaluate your batteries to check that they’re working properly. This last function requires that you’re using a 0.15ohm coil but that’s what I use anyway and the tank you’d get with the kit version would probably have one included anyway.

(pic)

In use I’ve been using the Drag 5 a lot lately. It’s a good mod, with good options on it. I almost always turn off the smart mode right away, it’s good for those who use who use stock coils but as I’m generally a RDA/RTA user then it’s pretty useless for me. Good old RBA mode for me then. Eco mode hasn’t been too bad on the recent Voopoo mods either. If you’re caught out and need to conserve battery power then it’s handy in a pinch and isn’t as underpowered as some eco modes I’ve tried.

I’ve used my rebuildable mesh RTAs on this mod and they work just as well as any other I have. I’ve also been using a dual coil setup at 0.13ohms and the power stays consistent throughout, even on lower wattages like I prefer. Stock coils work well and the smart mode, while overestimating them at first, works well enough for beginners. I still chuck it off as I like a bit more control but it’s a good option to have as it only limits the upper wattage level of the coil, rather than trying to suggest a range, like some smart modes do.

20241015-122650.jpg

Overall the Drag 5 keeps up the tradition of Voopoo making good mods while trying to innovate a little with each iteration. The battery cover is different enough to stand out and the battery evaluator is a decent little addition. I could do without the animations when taking a draw, and I do, as I turn them off.

Having a lock switch is something I really like. I use a few mods with this type of thing on them now and my days of mods firing in my pocket and ruining my cotton have been gone for a while now and it’s a small innovation that has worked well for me.

I’ll be using this mod for a while I reckon.

Thanks again to Sue @Healthcabin for the chance to try this mod out. You can buy it there and, as always, if you make an account the prices are a bit cheaper.

20241015-122352.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom