What's new

50 Shades of Grey

John R Phillips

Postman
Now I’ve grabbed your attention, 2 shades of brown actually …..

I was mixing some (70/30) shortfill, a (PG) nic shot and some 50/50 bottles yesterday. The particular flavour (Strawberry Jam Yoghurt) has been discontinued by IVG and I got hold of some bits and pieces with the goal of getting a final mix close to 50/50 @ 6mg
(I actually achieved 45PG/55VG @ 5.4mg)

The shortfill was clear; The nic shot was clear (as expected); a bottle of 3mg 50/50 was a very pale brown; and the bottles of 12mg 50/50 were all a much darker brown.

Why the colour variation???

If nic (and PG & VG) are clear, any colouring must come from the ingredients to make up the flavour, so I would have expected a consistent colouring for the 3 components 🤔

Nic goes darker as it oxidises and depending on what gets in there may even go pink…

Nic goes darker as it oxidises and depending on what gets in there may even go pink…
Thank you
That is a plausible explanation, although I’m not entirely convinced. Everything was well in-date and I’d have thought that IVG turn out enough juices to have a pretty fresh supply of nic going through their system at any one time.

Hack's right. Some nic just has colour in it mate. As long as it doesn't smell overly peppery then it's just oxidised nicotine. The mixed 50/50 stuff may have been exposed to more air when getting bottled I suppose. Most juices do colour over time when all the parts are mixed together. Some folk used to insist that that meant the flavour was better but I never believed that myself. Old vapers tales.

Colour rarely comes from flavours. In 99% cases it is caused by oxidation. If you are mixing/steeping by yourself, make sure that you are no leaving the liquid in contact with oxygen.
And yes, the space under the cap of the bottle is enough. You have, let's say: 2 cu.cm. containing 20%-ish of oxygen and 100ml of liquid containing 5.5mg (e.g. 5.5 parts per million, or 5.5 parts per 1 cu.m.). It is more than enough to oxidise the liquid over the time fully.

Back
Top Bottom