What's new

Help with 70/30 > 50/50

LeeB1980

Initiate
It's been a short while since I posted and I've been experimenting relentlessly. Now I'm finally settled with my current setup:

Oxva Xlim Pro
0.8 ohm coil pods @ 18W
50:50 10mg salt
RDTL with pretty much anything icy fruit made by IVG :tongue:

I know it's probably not a lot in the grand scheme of things but it's more than I thought I would be using - I'm getting through a 10ml bottle every 2 days. I was initially ok with £1 menthol juice but I got bored of that very quickly and became hopelessly addicted to IVG's wonderfully balanced and tasty icy fruits. First it was frozen cherry, now it's orangeade, but the upshot of that is it's tripled my juice expenses.

Now I've tried 70/30 and I just can't seem to get the flavour or strength right in such a way that I like. I've tried various levels and strengths of both freebase and salt and I can't tolerate freebase at all, even as low as 3.3mg. The hit from salt is fine but I just don't think the wattage goes high enough to get it right on an Xlim Pro, it's just not tasting "sharp" enough, even though I understand VG carries a slightly different taste. The 0.6 ohm coil pod has been tested and verified to work fine on 70/30 but the maximum supported wattage is only 25W and I don't think that's enough. The Xlim Pro supports up to 30W but that requires 0.4 ohm pods and whilst the 0.4 ohm pods are planned, there's zero news of a release yet. In the end I seem to be really set on the taste, flavour and hit of 50/50 10mg salt.

So my meandering question is, if I buy 70/30 50ml shortfill, that's 35ml VG and 15ml PG. Adding 20ml of 100% PG will turn that into a 50/50. I've found a legitimate UK based supplier of nic concentrates who you can purchase from without a trade account as long as you tick a simple disclaimer when purchasing stating that it will be used in wholesale (am I allowed to say this here?). I can therefore add 20ml 100% PG 36mg nic salt to the 70/30 shortfill and end up with a 50/50 10mg liquid.

Would the ratio change affect the flavour adversely along with the slightly extra dilution to 70ml? If not, surely this would be a better option instead of buying endless 10ml bottles all the time at 3 for £10? You can buy shortfills direct from IVG at 4 for £20 so...
£5 per 50ml
£16 for 100ml nic concentrate
5 applications at 20ml so £3.20 per shortfill
Which comes to £8.20 for 70ml of mixed shortfill
This compares to £23.31 for 7 bottles of 10ml premixed

If it's really not something you'd recommend I won't try but if it could work I guess I have nothing to lose!

You run the risk of diluting the flavour too much, make a test batch to see if you can put up with it.

You run the risk of diluting the flavour too much, make a test batch to see if you can put up with it.
I'll definitely do a test batch. Using 2 matching 70/30 shots didn't seem to affect the flavour too much, it was just the freebase which made it intolerable.

It's that dilution I'm worried about. Am I right in thinking the amount of flavour concentrate will differ in a 70/30 shortfill due to how VG affects flavour?

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more 50/50 shortfill options from bigger brands instead of having to relentlessly keep purchasing 10ml bottles. Perhaps the market for it just isn't there and 50/50 is always going to be considered a starter/pod ratio.

Am I right in thinking the amount of flavour concentrate will differ in a 70/30 shortfill due to how VG affects flavour?

It shouldn't, the extra VG just gives you a thicker liquid and a bit more vapour.

It shouldn't, the extra VG just gives you a thicker liquid and a bit more vapour.
That's encouraging to know. I've just received the delivery of some 72mg 70/30 benzoate salt concentrate so at least this supplier is legit and I can go back to them for some 72mg 100 PG now :14:

Back
Top Bottom