What's new

Am I the only one vaping 18mg 50/50 at high watts?

7h!nk

The title says it all really which leaves me somewhat confused. Due to the amount of 18mg 50/50 liquid that's been around since I first moved to vaping over 10 years ago, I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one vaping this type of liquid at 60w rather than say 15-18w and can find so little information on a suitable device that doesn't leak.

My latest purchase was an Smok RPM 5 with a 0.15 coil. But I still have an IXP80, and an Ageis Solo, and before that an Ageis Legend with a Uwell Crown. And I'm not sure at what point I've gone wrong but I've ended up in sticky position constantly dealing with leaks.

I have a mixture of coils; RPM 0.6, RPM80 0.17, RPM2 0.16, and the RPM3 0.15.

I used to enjoy the Firestarter 50/50 18mg fruity menthol flavours but my local doesn't stock it any more. So I moved over to Frakenvapes 50/50 18mg. I tried V4 Salts for a while and whilst this seemed ok, I can't fully recall the leaking situation, but I stopped using it as I suspected that it was giving me a slight issue with my gums.

The RPM 5 with the 0.15 is great at 60w with the air hole open roughly 20%. Lovely throat hit! I use it maybe once or twice an hour, sometimes less, but it never leaves me longing for more. However, it's constantly leaking into where the pods sits, and eventually this seems to result in liquid around the bottom of the pod whilst the pod is connected to the device. So liquid on the outside of the pod at the bottom which I'm guessing has flowed upwards. And it drives me absolutely insane.

After doing a considerable amount of reading, the liquid I'm using is too thin for both the coil and the amount of watts I'm using. I tried lower strength but thicker nicotine years ago and I was using the device much more than I wanted and was always left wanting more. I've tried vaping at the prescribed 15-18w with the air hole in various positions but that is far from adequate. And whilst I'm reading I don't seem to be coming anything recommended other than thicker liquid at a lower strength, or reducing the watts. And when I do either of those things I'm left wanting more.

So if you're happily puffing away at around 60 watts with 50/50 18mg liquid, and don't suffer from liquid leaking all over the place, I would really appreciate it if you could share which device, tank, and coil you are using please.

I've recently stumbled across the Vapefly Brunhilde RTA - liquid flow control sounds very appealing! But I'm not sure if that feature is a gimmick, and RTA is a rabbit hole based on what I need. I'd prefer to keep things as simple in ideal world if possible.

Once upon a time I was a 20+ per day Regal Kingsize smoker which I throughly enjoyed for 20+ years until I decided that I'd try and move to something less harmful that I still enjoyed whilst fulfilling my cravings from nicotine and staying sane. And whilst the RPM 5 hits the spot, there has to be a better 'leak proof' solution.

I think you will find yourself in the very small minority using 18mg at high wattage.
yes there are still a lot of long term vapers on high nic (a couple even on 24 or 36mg) that has been mentioned in the past but they mostly vape at 8-14watts.
you must have asbestos lungs to handle 18mg at high wattage but each to their own and if it keeps you off the cigs then all good.

subtanks and high wattage coils are designed to be used with 70/80vg so no wonder your tanks are leaking. 50/50 is just too thin to use with high end tanks.
I gave up in 2015 and started on 18mg with nautilus at 10-14watts and then as soon as the first ever subtank came out i dropped to 3mg and have stuck there for the past 9 years. I have got my vapes continuously in my hand though every waking moment and can get through 50ml a day at 30-50w depending on which tank im using and im quite happy with that.

50ml of liquid sounds like a lot, but if that's your happy place and it keeps the smokes at bay then what does it matter! I'm not sure which would drive me crackers the quickest; sticky cherry menthol liquid all over the device, or lower nicotine and not being able to put it down. Maybe I'll revisit something lower strength that I puff away on more often. I suspect I know what the outcome will be though.

Out of interest, what and how many did you used to smoke before you quit? And how do you find the throat hit with lower nicotine but at 50w for example?

50ml of liquid sounds like a lot, but if that's your happy place and it keeps the smokes at bay then what does it matter! I'm not sure which would drive me crackers the quickest; sticky cherry menthol liquid all over the device, or lower nicotine and not being able to put it down. Maybe I'll revisit something lower strength that I puff away on more often. I suspect I know what the outcome will be though.

Out of interest, what and how many did you used to smoke before you quit? And how do you find the throat hit with lower nicotine but at 50w for example?
37 years of 20-30 a day or when djing anything upto 60-80 in a night but with them it was a few puffs then most burn out in the ashtray.
i liked throat hit back then so started on capsten full strenght for a few months then it was onto bennies bensons for many years. buying singles for 2peach included a single swan match. said i would give up when it hit £1 a pack but no chance. not even when my dad died of cancer did i give up. as far as i can remember my last pack cost £8-9 back in 2015.
My 3mg custard doesnt give much throat hit but i thrive on my custard flavours and hand to mouth movements more than i do throat hit from vapes. got over 55 kits and more tanks than that to chose from.

I recommend you buy a 50ml 70/30 shortfill of the same or similar flavour as your regular 18mg 50/50 juice, use an empty bottle and put 5ml of the zero nic shortfill juice and 5ml of your 18mg 50/50 juice in it. The resulting concoction will be 10mls of 60/40 juice which will be a little thicker so should help reduce the leaking - and 9mg nic, which although only half the strength you have become used to is still fcn strong and should still give plenty of throat hit - just make sure you aren't using Nic Salt juices for the mix as it has hardly any throat hit.

I've found fruit flavours tend to mix together well - I occasionally do this to get a 'mid strength juice' to vape in a RDL kit because 18mg would blow my head off and make me feel nauseous and 3mg would be too weak for the modest power settings.

9mg nicotine may not sound like much, but trust me - it really is if you're vaping at 50 Watts and I think you will have little problems adjusting to it.

I'm a former unfiltered cig/unfiltered GV, Old Holburn or Drum rollie smoker that had a 40 year habit. After I changed to vaping and got through the struggles of the first months cravings for all the tar and slime my lungs were used to I found out very quickly that I didn't actually need high nic concentrations - and went from 18mg to 12mg without any cravings whatsoever or problems about throat hit. I started DL vaping, was worried that 3mg wasn't enough because it sounded piss weak to me - it wasn't, I had no problems whatsoever - now I tend to add just one nic shot to a 100ml shortfill instead of two - I did it once when I was running low on nic supplies and found I didn't have any problems with the reduced strength so stuck with it for high power vaping. I suspect you'll have little problems adjusting to a lower strength which will give you a lot more options.

Good luck. If you really need to vape 18mg at 50 watts and it works for you then stick with it, but I suspect you are taking REALLY short hits so your lungs can cope with the large amounts of nicotine. You may vape a bit more if you lower your nic strength but a 50ml shortfilll is much cheaper than 5 10ml bottles and the end cost will be very similar. Any problems adjusting will probably be a short term thing, but I suspect you'll just end up taking slightly longer hits and vaping a little bit more juice, but not much more overall - and 9mg at 50 watts is still way too strong for most vapers lol.

Good luck.

Hi 7h!nk

Interesting thread, as most of us here we have been at it a long time and have helped many people of the years - but I've never known anyone vape 18mg @ 60 watts (for long!!!!)

Can I ask you what style of vaping do you use?

Is it mouth to lung with very short drags (like Crispycritters suggested) - with a MTL restricted airflow ?

Or is it long Direct Lung pulls with more open airflow ?

At 60 watts the juice is going to vapourise pretty quickly, so a short pull will not get the coil too hot, whereas the longer direct pulls will help the air cool the coil

Sadly your comments about leaking Pods is part of the game really - They all seem to weep, mainly caused by the juice/spit condensating back in the mouth-piece and sitting up under the pod (where the air is drawn up from)

Back
Top Bottom