What's new

Another MEP response

Mark

Legend
I just got this from Andrew Duff Lib Dem MEP. A little out of date on progress so far regarding nic strengths and I need to write again this time emphasising the proposal regarding flavours. Positive though I thought.

"Dear Mr Davis,

Andrew Duff has asked me to update you on progress with the Tobacco Products Directive, following the concerns you expressed about the proposed regulation of E-cigarettes.

Since he last corresponded with you Andrew has been in touch with our rapporteur on this paper, Ms Frederique Ries, as well as a number of other MEPs on the ENVI committee. Andrew has made the case to them that the proposed restrictions on E-cigarettes were not fully thought through and would ultimately be harmful to public health.

The good news is that the Liberals have now co-signed a series of amendments to the Tobacco Products Directive which are quite comprehensive in terms of kicking into touch any plans to restrict the availability or strength of this new technology. We hope that these proposals will win the support of the ENVI committee.

These amendments follow from the recognition that although E-cigarettes provide users with a nicotine boost similar to conventional cigarettes, they contain no tobacco, which is the cause of smoking-related disease and premature death. Andrew's view is therefore that restricting the strength of E-cigarettes would undermine their value as a means of weaning hardened smokers off tobacco, which would have a harmful effect on the health of many people and cost the NHS millions of pounds in extra costs incurred.

Because Andrew is not on the ENVI committee he will only have the opportunity to vote on the proposals when they eventually reach the plenary session of the European Parliament, which is provisionally scheduled for 08/10/2013; in the meantime, however, you can rest assured that he will continue to work behind the scenes to ensure that the Lib Dem amendments are passed.

Thank you once again for alerting Andrew to this serious matter. I hope this update is helpful. Please be in touch if you have any further questions.

Yours sincerely,

Kilian Bourke
Caseworker to
Andrew Duff
Liberal Democrat MEP for the East of England"

Tell me where to get off if you want, but could I suggest that in your reply, you include some sort of link to that ASH study that shows the gateway theory is just a smokescreen.... or maybe a vapescreen. ;)

..and have been thanked for this 'interesting and useful' information on flavourings, the debunked 'gateway theory' and children Vaping. Andrew Duff will get back to me

Back
Top Bottom