What's new

Cancerogenous in vg and pg at high temps.

kojak

Postman
Just came across this on another e-cig forum,
what's your take guys?

Use temp control and dont go above 450Fish if you want to minimize exposure.

OK, they published this data publicly now about the spike of formaldehyde and Acetaldehyde (both carcinogens) spiking way up past safe levels starting around 470F-480F.

Temperature Control is IMPORTANT

Turns out VG is worse than PG with regards to formaldehyde:

e-liquid solvents—i.e., PG, GL, or their mixture—are heated at high temperature, either intentionally by users to get more aerosol or accidently due to overheating. GL produced much more formaldehyde than PG under our testing conditions
A Device-Independent Evaluation of Carbonyl Emissions from Heated Electronic Cigarette Solvents

Even tootle puffers at 10W are reaching temps above 470F

upload_2017-3-5_19-52-49-png.639173

This is PG, carcinogen level starts rising around 480F

This is VG, carcinogens start rising around 410F

This is our common 50/50 pg/vg mix, carcinogens start rising at around 470F

The rise in carcinogens above 470F exceeds what is available in regular cigarettes.

upload_2017-3-5_20-42-33-png.639193

Below 470 the levels are negligible.

Start watching about 20 minutes into it:

upload_2017-3-5_21-44-35-png.639205

Cheers Marcus

Last edited:
Interesting videos, thanks.

It's good to know people are working hard to make vaping as safe as possible.

Did they give details of the equipment used i.e. tanks, coils and wicking materials? I remember a similar study like this was around a couple years back turned out it was largely debunked because the setup wasn't suitable for the power liquid flow and a later study claimed that the spikes were seen from the coil and cotton burning. Every time I have seen a "study" like this they are loath to publish details of the actual setups.

I guess the responsible guys over at Evolv will be limiting all their boards to 200c then?! [emoji5] For safety.... [emoji16]

Did they give details of the equipment used i.e. tanks, coils and wicking materials? I remember a similar study like this was around a couple years back turned out it was largely debunked because the setup wasn't suitable for the power liquid flow and a later study claimed that the spikes were seen from the coil and cotton burning. Every time I have seen a "study" like this they are loath to publish details of the actual setups.
I was under the impression of this also from what I understood, that these levels were found in conditions that no vaper would replicate, essentially really, really bad dry hits which we all try to avoid.

I wonder if this is similar, and actually with a nearly dry coil? In those conditions I would expect even lower temperatures to cause a lot of nasties due to it being dry, and temp control to throttle back the power due to this.

I like Evolv, but would like to see something done without their involvement to see the results and if they differ to past results.

Looking at the temperatures they are using here's a little bit of info on dry cotton burn point

Fire point (the temperature at which it will continue to burn for at least 5 seconds after ignition by an open flame): 210 °C (410 °F

I haven't watched any of the videos as I'm at work, but what confuses me is that the recent cancer research study found none/not much at all in the way of harmful chemicals in the bodies of the full time vapers that helped in their study. How can it be that 'real world' vaping can seemingly produce such different results?

I haven't watched any of the videos as I'm at work, but what confuses me is that the recent cancer research study found none/not much at all in the way of harmful chemicals in the bodies of the full time vapers that helped in their study. How can it be that 'real world' vaping can seemingly produce such different results?
Because real world studies are rarely backed by ant-vaping bodies.

Back
Top Bottom