What's new

Cotton splitting in the coils in RDA...

Just as a general use of thumb, with muji i usually cut in half then half again, that's on a 3mm coil.

100% agree on this.

Cotton breaking in the coil can be caused by a few things but more often than not it is down to either wicking not keeping up or too much power, obviously the two are related.

One of the mistakes I was making when I had this problem was the legs into the wicking ports were too tight or too long even though I was convinced I had done it right, less is more when it comes to leg length, the sweet spot is short and loose enough to feed the coil quickly but not too loose as to leak, you can't really teach wicking as it comes with practice until you instinctively feel it's right.

I learned much more when I used Temp Control as that really highlights how tiny differences in wicking can affect how fast the wicking can keep up, I honed my skills on single coil setups until I was comfortable, TC isn't as big a mystery as people think and it's perfect for honing wicking skills.

For example a build which doesn't wick fast enough will simply limit the power as the coil gets too hot and prevents any burning.

It happened to me in the smaller rbas with sweet liquids. The coils get saturated with burned carbon deposits and the center especially takes a lot of time to cool down, long after you are not pulling air and leading to wick burning and spliting in the middle.

A way to get around it but not totally is having a good spacing between wraps, especially in the center of the coil.

cant really give any advice as its already been given but if you're looking for cotton I always use Kendo Gold. I dont like cotton bacon.

100% agree on this.

It happened to me in the smaller rbas with sweet liquids. The coils get saturated with burned carbon deposits and the center especially takes a lot of time to cool down, long after you are not pulling air and leading to wick burning and spliting in the middle.

A way to get around it but not totally is having a good spacing between wraps, especially in the center of the coil.

I think it must have been a combination of what I call "noobness factor"... I think I have now got it down to the correct cotton amount as well as wattage... The juice I was using was also dessert so sweet is for sure a thing, but I recently got a Tauren Solo and have been using the same cotton on it for almost 2 weeks and its still not caramelized, so I think I was pushing Wattage a lot (or not enough) before and the juice was not being vapourized but boiled...

cant really give any advice as its already been given but if you're looking for cotton I always use Kendo Gold. I dont like cotton bacon.

Thanks man, I got some Muji as its was dirt cheap and also a pack of firebolt (as it came with the "correct size" for the 3mm coils... this as a test of both... I like firebolt more than cotton bacon, but I think after this one is gone I will keep using the muji... I now have a load of it to get through so wont be spending more in cotton for a long time lol

Back
Top Bottom