What's new

E-cig vapor does not induce genetic mutations

junglist

Administrator
Staff member
Can't see that we have done this one yet. This is massive IMO, it is the genetic mutations that give rise to cancer. As discussed on here last week it is these mutations that could give us, as ex-smokers, a chance of getting lung cancer in the future due to our past habits. Yes, this is a study by BAT, and no surprise that they used a Vype pen as the test product, some good marketing from them! So if kids that were going to smoke were directed to vaping rather than the smokes there there would be no chance of them getting cancer due to the genetic mutations that cigarette smoke causes.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-11-e-cig-vapor-genetic-mutations-cigarette.html

This could be big news but let's wait to see if the media picks up on it or if they'll still dig up the (debunked) study from San Diego ...

Nice to see some hard science :)

The journal that article was published in (Mutation Research/Genetic Toxicology and Environmental Mutagenesis) is part of the Elsevier group that subjects all submissions to peer review. It would be nice to see the work replicated by another organisation "on the other side of the fence" such as Cancer Research, but from a scientific standpoint there should be no need.

It makes dam sight less grisly reading than http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-11-day-year-mutations-lung-cells.html which I would guess is the source of the articles describing the irremediable cancerous effects of smoking. The two articles taken together are a significant push in the favour of vaping.

It won't stop the non-scientist scientists doing the "what if vaping does something we don't know about" mambo, but from a clinical perspective this is good shit :2thumbsup:

Yes @davroz - personally think this is really big news so want to try and get it out in today's newsletter so thanks for the input and confirmation that I wasn't just getting excited over nothing! I saw the post the other day from @crustyfolker about the news on the cell mutations and meant to post on it but got distracted as usual. My understanding for some time has been that each time you trigger a mutation you are running the risk of that mutation developing into something bad. So the key is to stop causing those mutations by not smoking. And we all know how easy that was, until vaping came around... This though is amazing news, vape shown to trigger no mutations as all, I wrote it up last night and have put it here https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...using-dna-mutations-absent-in-vape-tests.html - check it out and let me know if anything out of line. Hopefully expands a bit more on the medical express write up but not as hectic as the paper itself.

I would suggest changing "smoke or vapour" to "tobacco smoke and vapour".
Thanks for the link to the full report which is excellent reading. Noteworthy that they used up to 24mg nic (concentrated level from 18mg base if I read correctly) in the ejuice and up to 280 degrees C.
Excellent study and great write up @junglist.

More good stuff coming next year from Dr Mosely Guys.
A Follow Up program is being done that will concentrate far more on this sort of thing .............. AND.......... There will also be some research done into CBD and its benefits etc.:2thumbsup:

Yes @davroz - personally think this is really big news so want to try and get it out in today's newsletter so thanks for the input and confirmation that I wasn't just getting excited over nothing! I saw the post the other day from @crustyfolker about the news on the cell mutations and meant to post on it but got distracted as usual. My understanding for some time has been that each time you trigger a mutation you are running the risk of that mutation developing into something bad. So the key is to stop causing those mutations by not smoking. And we all know how easy that was, until vaping came around... This though is amazing news, vape shown to trigger no mutations as all, I wrote it up last night and have put it here https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...using-dna-mutations-absent-in-vape-tests.html - check it out and let me know if anything out of line. Hopefully expands a bit more on the medical express write up but not as hectic as the paper itself.

That's an excellent article @junglist . As @mannikon notes there's a small number of places where you could re-word for absolute clarity, but you've managed to summarise about 100 pages of eye-searing biochemical detail into about a page ... good going :2thumbsup:

As you note the fight is ongoing and more work needs to be done. We live in interesting times - see http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...comments-tobacco-company-cancer-a7377361.html

More good stuff coming next year from Dr Mosely Guys.
A Follow Up program is being done that will concentrate far more on this sort of thing .............. AND.......... There will also be some research done into CBD and its benefits etc.:2thumbsup:

Glad to hear that about CBD but lot of research has been already done by many others. Lots of benefits and its defo worth a try but needs a bit time.

I strongly recommend CBDfx ! Great staff that is worth to try. Give it a try and read about it.

Regards

Back
Top Bottom