What's new

ENVI vote lost

medicine.jpg

Stolen from UKV, but it saves me writing something similar:

Hi all!
Just got home via pub meet with DD and others in London.
I've caught up on the thread and there are some things I would like to confirm and call to action.

First- the plenary is the bit where all the MEP's have a 'free' vote on the TPD. It is supposed to be in September, at the end of the second week in session I think.
Second- evergleam and fergus- spot on... This is a Wake up call to all vapers, e-smokers, even those who don't know they are threatened.
We need to brush ourselves off and look at the next steps, from an action standpoint.
-Someone mentioned investigative reportage. It has been talked about today.
-in my mind that would arrive from a combined snowball of media interest. Why are these people incensed? What is so problematic about MEDS regs?
Why are these regs being forced through in the face of such overwhelming evidence of efficacy and against the risk of the health of European smokers and without conscience?
Is there an ulterior motive involved, and if so, which and how?
-in order to engender this we don't want to appear like swivel eyed loons attacking by reflex. The media will take interest and as it is so obviously corrupt- they will find the links.
Third- the MEPs are on hols for August. They will not take calls, mail, or email. Chris Davies has said they are pressing to put the plenary meeting back one month to prepare and allowing for the summer break. This is still a hope and not confirmed.
Fourth- we have not been able to find a list of voters yet- hopefully we may be able to garner some info soon.

We have already won a lot of attention in the committees- we lost on this vote but in the last 8 months the supportive MEPs on that committee have risen from 1 to 25. Well done all of us.

So, a renewed call to action.

Assuming that the plenary is not delayed, we have 2 weeks now and maybe 2 weeks at the start of sept in which to vociferously state our position of disgust at the potential, and highlighting the following, in emails, letters and meetings with MEP'S.
As far as I know all sitting MEP's will be voting in the plenary.
We need to contact all of them.
Written letters and emails, no cut and paste. Each one should be unique.

There is no time to waste on this, ACT NOW!

During the summer, we need to keep asking the media to print our letters in the papers and our tweets and texts online and in tv.

We will be all looking at ways to increase awareness.

We do need a certain amount of togetherness on this- we really are all in this together. So forum users- please make ry4 radio and vttv a staple every week- keep yourself informed.
Ask the newspapers what they think of your personal stories.

Schedule appointments with your MPs ASAP. Ask them if they would like to get a vote from you.

It's as simple as this: most of us (the people living in UK) aren't regular voters. Most people probably don't much care which politician is the one standing at no 10 as long as our quality of life is maintained.

Tell them that you will make a special effort to vote and that their decision on ECigs will define your vote.

E cigs save lives. Listen to BBC radio 4 tomorrow and keep an eye out for coverage where possible.
With media attention, comes the politicos realisation that we mean business.

Off to bed now but wanted to share with you what I have learned today briefly.

More tomorrow.

Vape free, vape happy.

If it's true that I am now using "medicine" is it then right that certain establishments like train stations and pubs etc can ban them?

If it's true that I am now using "medicine" is it then right that certain establishments like train stations and pubs etc can ban them?
Medicalisation does not immediately turn what we use into medical devices I'm afraid. It will apply only to those approved after lengthy expensive tests, will be below 4mg etc. they have already said NOTHING currently on the market fits their requirements. Hence effective ban.

[please insert generic cynical, bile fuelled comment here]

Browsing Ebay now for a stripey shirt and 'robber' mask.... criminality here I come.

[please insert generic cynical, bile fuelled comment here]

Browsing Ebay now for a stripey shirt and 'robber' mask.... criminality here I come.
You could knit your own by the time any of this actually happens :)

I'm sure I won't be able to source any nic base by nefarious means, in much the same way I was never able to buy tobacco from the Eastern Block without ever leaving the UK ;)

Then they'll spend millions ineffectively trying to police the black market, whilst the legit companies hike their prices even higher to cover "the cost of piracy"

Fooking love this place I do :D

I can only presume the war on terror and the war on drugs must have been won while I was out with the dogs or something - it's the only argument for launching a war on vaping.

I'm sure I won't be able to source any nic base by nefarious means, in much the same way I was never able to buy tobacco from the Eastern Block without ever leaving the UK ;)

Then they'll spend millions ineffectively trying to police the black market, whilst the legit companies hike their prices even higher to cover "the cost of piracy"

Fooking love this place I do :D

Thats it in a nutshell, people (current users) will find other ways to obtain their nic base from I.E Black market, and that`s where the danger comes in, there will be no tests on any of it and where-as atm you can see where the stuff is coming from and make an informed decision as to its quality you will not get that from a Joe Blogs standing on a street corner selling plastic bottles out of a Black Bin liner in his car boot, seasoned Vapers should be OK, we (should) know how and where to source what we need, but newer folk just starting or thinking of starting will not and perhaps take a chance, it`s not just the future deaths a ban will bring, these proposals if allowed to go through as is stand a very real chance of finally causing deaths due to sub standard mixes or lethal strengths.

This is not just about us (current users)anymore , its about all those in the future that at present have a safe (as it can be) method of getting what we are dependant on from sources that can be checked, make no mistake folk these people wanting to take that safer option out of the equation are going to do a lot of harm unless they are made to see the facts, we have made the numbers climb from 0 to 25 by issuing the same said facts, we need to keep going now until more and more see what they are proposing is a very bad idea indeed and needs dropping as is and another look taken.

Last edited:
25 may have been persuaded, but how many of the remaining MEPs are in the pockets of vested interests and won't risk their backhander benefits to do the right thing?

The world of politics is murky at best and downright corrupt at it's worst... wouldn't trust any of the feckers as far as I could throw them.

There's too much potential profit to be lost and gained for the vested interests to listen to reason. I reckon it'll probably end up in the courts and there's no guarantees that judges couldn't be bought off too.

Oh... and Psssst... (opens battered suitcase to reveal grubby bottles of fluid) anyone want to buy some cheap nic base? I know it looks a bit cloudy and smells a bit funny but it's 100% kosher... honest. ;)

Back
Top Bottom