Explosive underwater shot wins Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitz

Administrator
Staff member
upload_2021-10-30_3-27-28.png

Explosive underwater shot wins Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition

Here are some of the winning shots from this year’s competition, which are on display at London’s Natural History Museum

The winning shot from this year’s Wildlife Photographer of the Year award captures the moment a camouflage grouper releases a milky cloud of eggs and sperm into the water.

The image was taken by French underwater photographer and biologist Laurent Ballesta. Every year, for five years, Ballesta and his team have visited the same lagoon in French Polynesia to witness the annual spawning event that only takes place around the full moon in July.

After dark, they were joined by hundreds of grey reef sharks, which were hunting the groupers in packs. Amid the chaos, Ballesta captured the image, which he called Creation.

Overfishing threatens the camouflage grouper, but in the lagoon where Ballesta took the photograph they are protected within a special biosphere reserve.

“In what could be a pivotal year for the planet, with vital discussions taking place at COP15 and COP26, Laurent Ballesta’s Creation is a compelling reminder of what we stand to lose if we do not address humanity’s impact on our planet,” said Dr Doug Gurr, director of the Natural History Museum. “The protection provided to this endangered species by the biosphere reserve highlights the positive difference we can make.”

Chair of the judging panel, writer and editor, Rosamund Kidman Cox, said: “The image works on so many levels. It is surprising, energetic, and intriguing and has an otherworldly beauty. It also captures a magical moment – a truly explosive creation of life – leaving the tail-end of the exodus of eggs hanging for a moment like a symbolic question mark.

Wildlife Photographer of the Year is developed and produced by the Natural History Museum, London.

Gallery: Some of the other winning shots...

upload_2021-10-30_3-30-34.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-30-49.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-31-4.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-31-17.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-31-35.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-31-53.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-32-6.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-32-24.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-32-41.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-32-55.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-33-9.png

upload_2021-10-30_3-33-21.png

A spider (looks like a giant house spider to me like @Simon G found in his bath but could be wrong. They're huge tho) and its spiderlings. Obviously, the structure is small and not human sized.

It looks about 4 foot wide
That photo is deceiving.

It looks about 4 foot wide
That photo is deceiving.
Si's bath tub. Maybe not the same after all. It's a spider with lots of babies tho. Maybe it is a human house and it's really 4 ft across with spiderlings the size of fists. :D

It's got something in its mouth I think. Previous occupant perhaps.:lol1:

upload_2021-10-30_4-24-29.png

Last edited:

"Winner: urban wildlife. Gil Wizen (Israel/Canada) finds a venomous Brazilian wandering spider hiding under his bed, which would prompt panic."

Only one of the world's deadliest spiders, with a gazillion babies - under someone's bed. Nothing to worry about. :11:

Last edited:
I never thought there could be something worse than cats, but I reckon I hate that spider more. It can royally join the fuck off to death list.

Some stunning pics there. Think the bear pic would be great for a caption comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom