What's new

Favourite mixing and steeping method

Make My Vape

Premium Vendor
Hey everyone,

It's Elliott from Make My Vape again. I'm trying to collect everyone's opinion on the best method for mixing and steeping. A few things I have heard of:

• Mixing by ml
  • Mixing batches by 'drops'
  • Mixing by weight
  • Breathing then steeping
  • Steeping then breathing
  • Steeping in warm water bath
  • Steeping in ultrasonic
  • To shake or not to shake?

The method I currently use is mixing a 5ml sample of a new flavour or idea I want to try, then mixing 50ml once I have made something I enjoy. I steep by putting it in an ultrasonic for around 5 minutes, then letting it breathe for a few hours, then I let it steep for 2-3 days (usually because I'm tired of waiting to try it by then, haha). I'd like to know what your guys methods are and how they have worked out for you.

Thanks in advance apes!

Elliott,
Make My Vape.

My tobacco concentrate likes to be mixed at 10-12%, left to stand in hot water till cold.
Smoke straight away.
When I make batches (500ml-1L) I do the above but mix the concentrate at 5% and leave it to sit for 2 months as the RY6 devolops a very caramel traste after 8 weeks. I shake often.
I tried smoking some 12% that had been left for 2 months and it was a sickly, nasty vape. So I upped the VG from 50% to 70%, adjusted the nicotine and it was good to go.

I mainly mix by drop. I use the same bottles for all my Flavorings and they give 40 drops per ml.

So it's worked out like this:

2.5ml of base + 1 drop of flavoring = 1%
5ml of base +1 drop of flavoring = 0.5%
10ml of base + 1 drop of flavoring = 0.25%
20ml of base + 1 drop of flavoring = 0.125%

It keeps it simple and means 0% cleanup required :)

I use syringes / measuring jugs for bigger batches.

I shake and vape a lot of mixes fresh, others are left in a drawer, shaken once in a while.

Thanks for the feedback! What do you both think about mixing by weight? A lot of people seem to preach about it on reddit, but I don't hear it mentioned often here.

Not claiming this as the best method, just what works for me.

I measure using syringes only, though with large mixes (250mls+) I will sometimes measure diluents by weight.
In a measuring jug for mixes of 50mls+ using a milk frother to mix everything thoroughly, let it stand so the air escapes then bottle. Otherwise mix straight into bottles and shake vigorously.
Commonly, I make up a premixed base of VG, PG and nic and add that to measured out flavourings, to save time and faff.
I never breathe a juice once mixed ... absolutely never.

Also prefer the term maturation to steeping and for me maturation means leaving it alone for variable periods. Just let it sit and I don't shake it intermittently. Some flavour mixes benefit from the maturation time, others don't.
Always have plenty of juice on the go so I have no need to speed up maturation with heat, ultrasonics, voodoo etc.

Just a heads up for you, Elliott, don't say that you're "smoking" when what you're doing is vaping. ;) It's vapour not smoke, right?
I heard you say this a couple of times in your videos and it made me wince. :)

Not claiming this as the best method, just what works for me.

I measure using syringes only, though with large mixes (250mls+) I will sometimes measure diluents by weight.
In a measuring jug for mixes of 50mls+ using a milk frother to mix everything thoroughly, let it stand so the air escapes then bottle. Otherwise mix straight into bottles and shake vigorously.
Commonly, I make up a premixed base of VG, PG and nic and add that to measured out flavourings, to save time and faff.
I never breathe a juice once mixed ... absolutely never.

Also prefer the term maturation to steeping and for me maturation means leaving it alone for variable periods. Just let it sit and I don't shake it intermittently. Some flavour mixes benefit from the maturation time, others don't.
Always have plenty of juice on the go so I have no need to speed up maturation with heat, ultrasonics, voodoo etc.

Just a heads up for you, Elliott, don't say that you're "smoking" when what you're doing is vaping. ;) It's vapour not smoke, right?
I heard you say this a couple of times in your videos and it made me wince. :)

Haha! That's actually a different Elliott from the lab, I sometimes refer to myself as 'Eli' to stop confusion. we are going to revise the video very soon because we noticed it too. We certainly wouldn't want to confuse smoking and vaping; thanks for the feedback though!

I like your reasoning for calling it 'maturation', I've made a few mixes where I have just left them to mature, and I've found the flavour profile to be much more prominent; the problem is I'm just too impatient :p

Last edited:
I mix mine by ml shake then leave to steep fruit mixes about 7 days tab & custard mixes 2/3 weeks in the airing cupboard

I mix in 100ml batches so I use go by ml's in glass beakers concentrate's first mix them in with the nic, another mix then in with whatever pg and vg I need to take it up to my required ratio then bottle then vigorous shake and throw in the cupboard for a steep how long depends on the flavour of juice[emoji3]

Back
Top Bottom