What's new

Nautilus X coil comes out when filling Hack?

PTFE tape is chemically the same thing as Teflon. It's not as resilient as Teflon because it isn't tempered but it'll still remain stable up to about 260C. It'll degrade up to about 400C then it will melt. At about 500C it'll burn. Trouble with using it for the purpose decribed in this discussion is that repeated heating and cooling will eventually cause it to harden and crack. I don't imagine it'll be toxic while intact because I haven't been poisoned by my frying pan as far as I know. :)

PTFE tape is chemically the same thing as Teflon. It's not as resilient as Teflon because it isn't tempered but it'll still remain stable up to about 260C. It'll degrade up to about 400C then it will melt. At about 500C it'll burn. Trouble with using it for the purpose decribed in this discussion is that repeated heating and cooling will eventually cause it to harden and crack. I don't imagine it'll be toxic while intact because I haven't been poisoned by my frying pan as far as I know. :)
Thanks for the info, that's really good to know.

Hello all,
I assume everyone with the Nautilus X tank has experienced the coil coming out of the base when removing the top cap to refill....
I know some say its OK to fill the tank (partially, allowing for liquid displacement when re-inserting the coil), then just replace the top cap with the coil attached. However I personally don't like the idea of a film of juice between the base of the coil and the connection in the bottom of the well. Surely this will impact on the quality of the electrical connection.
I've just got the tank (as part of the rover kit) and it would seem that 4 out of every 5 fills, the coil comes away with the cap! I must say this bugs the hell out of me and I'm very disappointed.
This got me wondering if anyone knew of any hacks or tricks to keep the coil securely in the base section of the tank.
If the resistance of the thread was strongest in the base section then the top thread would break away first.
One possible solution I thought of, was maybe to put a sliver of PTFE (plumbers tape) on the bottom thread, to give a stronger hold, so the top thread gives in first. HOWEVER,. I am not sure from a health perspective if this would be safe? As I assume the PTFE tape would become hot? Maybe melt? or give off toxic fumes? etc....
Any thoughts?
Any hacks others have used to overcome this problem?
Ive searched the net, but haven't found this topic covered anywhere.
Thanks in advance for your help guys.
ATB,
Jools
To a degree you're overthinking :)

Firstly - It's fine to fill without the coil and won't affect the connection.

Secondly - screw the coil tightly, the top cap gently just until it stops (you won't get any leakage from the top it will be fully sealed just not on like a vice).

I say that as someone who uses the X exclusively.

To a degree you're overthinking :)

Firstly - It's fine to fill without the coil and won't affect the connection.

Secondly - screw the coil tightly, the top cap gently just until it stops (you won't get any leakage from the top it will be fully sealed just not on like a vice).

I say that as someone who uses the X exclusively.
Thank you so much this is very helpful.

What about the adhesive though?

Back
Top Bottom