What's new

New member- a retired toxicologist & tobacco harm reduction proponent

Hi @JonathanD and welcome to the planet.

great to see you getting involved straight away.

I have one question as your from America. what do you think of the majority of crap research that comes out of the mouth of Stanton Glantz
@MrDJ - I think we share a common perspective on Glantz- who has now retired in disgrace in the wake of allegations of sexual harassment and academic misconduct related to authorship of a paper from his former group. I hope we have heard the last from him.

Hi @JonathanD and welcome to the planet.

great to see you getting involved straight away.

I have one question as your from America. what do you think of the majority of crap research that comes out of the mouth of Stanton Glantz
@MrDJ - Let me add to my prior reply. I have the very lowest opinion of the quality of Glantz' published work. The retraction of his ridiculously bad paper on vaping & heart attacks a few years ago was the final nail in his career coffin. Some other scientists from his former UC San Francisco institution [e.g., Neal Benowitz] have published some good quality work over the years, but Glantz is in a class by himself in terms of bias & poor scholarship.

Yes, I was referring to the refillable devices [AKA Open Systems] that are still widely available and much preferred by most all serious vapers here in the USA as well. FDA is in a bind with tens or hundreds of thousands of such devices in current use, but their position that each device and a single e-liquid combination = a unique product is entirely unworkable. I hope they will rethink that posture & develop regulation that will address the realities of contemporary vaping so that the benefits to the public health of current smokers can be fully realised.

Hopefully the FDA will do as you suggest and one wonders why they ever introduced it in the first place.

I've just joined the Forum to keep up with what's new in the vaping & tobacco/nicotine harm reduction space. My story is a bit different than most others here. I am a Ph.D. Pharmacologist and Board Certified Toxicologist [DABT], retired now to consulting on toxicology, flavorings, nicotine, & harm reduction topics. I have almost 40 years of work experience in the industry sector in these & related USA regulatory areas. I served a 4-year appointment [2010-2014] on the US FDA's first Tobacco Products Scientific Advisory Committee [TPSAC], representing the interests of the regulated tobacco/nicotine industry in a non-voting capacity. I received the 2021 Lifetime Achievement Award from the US Tobacco Science Research Conference for my career work to advance less harmful nicotine options for smokers, and was selected by peer recognition to become a Fellow of the US Academy of Toxicological Sciences [ATS] in 2012. I have a lot of catching up to do by exploring the diverse threads & topics discussed here, and am looking forward to learning from that.

Welcome Ph.D molecular biologist here! Been a vaper for 8 years or so. Let us know if you need anything!

@JonathanD Welcome, and thanks for sharing your opinions! Very educational. Why do you use nicotine pouches (if Ive read that right)? Nicotine has always given me a focus, much like caffeine for many. What's your motivation as a non smoker/vaper? Same kind of effect? Just curious. Feel free to pass on answering, your business is yours and totally no obligation!

Back
Top Bottom