What's new

OXVA Origin 2 Pod Kit

red5

Achiever
OXVA Origin 2 review by Antony Lord
mwaI_JkAVmN5aDbXXJlpxxsEPCzTjSfTzhoUg60YmHxiASKoVSx-qBXjmK9BLQiKML-WKQiFYsJL__hBYaKJ6StPafDeQiczrttdU9NcJT8abT5ngHSnnjFXY7L3uA-e3lJ58xtqRR2KBQ6XqA

OXVA have refreshed their Origin pod kit with the newly released Origin 2 kit. This mixes elements from the original with a few twists taken from their more recent UniOne system to bring us a more modern take on their signature pod kit.

Specifications:
  • 122 x 33.4 x 26.6 mm / 127 grams
  • Single 18650 device / USB-C 2amp charging
  • 0.69” OLED screen
  • 5ml UniOne cartridge (pod/tank) / 2ml for TPD regions
  • UniCoil system
  • Output 5~80 watts
  • Resistance range 0.1~3.0 ohms
8yfkUQeJvWmkSOOLWPlEqnlAYZiNTxne6YAnXbHA42hkiaRMFVpf4LdERmp1bq1fuokCqqVpRM5w0bz0fNQgmM9Fz_RVRs0ptt8m7porr7uz5mb381HxJYV71znXFLR_Y8z1rEjeyJuzpDnbHA

The OXVA Origin 2 is available in six different colours and I was sent the “Turquoise Green” variant, I have to say that all the colours look nice and the one sent for review starts of with a vibrant turquoise colour at the top which gradually blends into an almost black, deep blue, at the base. I have to say that the pack-ins are a little disappointing though as you only get the one pre-installed coil, user manual and warranty card.
L17X7IleCfJB7W4VoCD47QQOO4uq5itr-bPFzhccg8hn-2Cd4fKIZrMLplN0_3W34o-hjMoAchNw54HvklsrYSaNVjgvT1YROErWJ_-pRbqX7slqhTgrFYHJVTcpZ2D387X-u1JJF9auPUPK3A

Taking a look at my Origin X next to the Origin 2 you can see that OXVA have kept some of the design elements like the compact teardrop shape but brought the system up to date with an all metal chassis and the UniOne Cartridge (tank) with fully adjustable airflow integrated into the section where the tank sits. I prefer the sleek look of the Origin X as the new airflow control section where the UniOne Cartridge looks a bit tacked on, I think it would have been better if the front of the chassis had been continued up to the top of this section which would have looked much cleaner but you have to balance this out with the much greater control you now have over the airflow.
StUm4n5ybAG_M2QUp8pViNKOXEdITDBslTfDAsOQ-xu1XvYg83VOv7UyVPsWhdD9ZXZX3p0KCk0al6MhD5-pyLhY8rs8Dt5sM_2_gFmA3Ipw3EQ-I4JwKtba2t_N5HdCQw-eEsUFLGqfF5kxpw

The back of the Origin 2 now sports a patterned “leather” grip with stitching for improved grip and comfort. The zinc alloy chassis means that the Origin 2 has gained a bit of weight though coming in at 127 grams (174 grams with a battery installed) vs the 89.7 grams of my Origin X so you’ll certainly notice this more in your pocket.

There’s still only a monochrome screen nestled between the controls but this is more than sufficient for the job at hand. As before this is a wattage only device but now features a much more conventional three button layout with nicely textured metal buttons with great tactile feedback and zero button rattle. The change in the control scheme makes it much easier to operate but I do find the position of the fire button a little odd, I habitually trigger fire devices but I found myself wanting to have my finger positioned above the button in this orientation and eventually wound up switching to thumb firing which felt much more ergonomic.
MmEUXQEDWCVaeJyTnUNFY9CSiKWbtkzffn32liATTNDE3b4L1RCAjm6JQXZH_OqUIF42rx8XSLXQB05V39g0wjUGJfU4lqPMTy90HVNr6UdttzYEa2iQAlmDvWykKOaLlIA2-8Afu3vqhIGwJA

The Origin 2 is powered by a single 18650 battery with a screw in battery cap at the base. There is on board charging via a USB-C charge port on the control panel, a quick charge test showed a 1.7amp charge rate so if you need to use this in a pinch you should be back up and running in no time.
3Pvf3HSk2xyltfsnBZsYiFzps7jZbM-4TCB_uFt7cH_33yh2hWAbnA9Vd5leMR4bT44xeNvrPFLwqMl_RUtOISuBR3NFR05bg4ET4SZdCDSH7xaFJwooX368QyTSQfnO7Iq8sL4g6FKp650KFQ

The new UniOne Cartridge fits into the recess at the top of the Origin 2 and is secured by magnets and the airflow is controlled by twisting the tank. Whilst this is secure enough that the pod isn’t going to fall out if you’re the sort of person who tends to fidget with things then you might find yourself accidentally adjusting the airflow and I’ve done this myself several times.
kCPdppf1brMfhvvGXUaQdNRtJMFORwiPYCt-fAbhe_7gk3_3Cuem7014mu81yPW4jo7Cijze8viMnmfRICLgmR6CTKi6oPfRLqk_klN9NWEBhDFJkjf1gLqxq9CnnF0qwTHEZ0yGe2NBzEQEsQ

The UniOne Cartridge with removable 510 drip tip looks very similar to the UniOne PnM tank right except this is now constructed from PCTG (plastic) rather than glass. The fill port is still in the same awkward location next to the base of the press fit coil but at least the fill port is a little bigger this time around!
Y5FDp5SAXxnD2hOUJgbcQPXsNIpiNca7kvwQuEgUsvYn56EFGoaNKK92hXCBSxphV6b1haD4Ovi1HO62oV1OXTvcvPjW0rocsuxA5leT_BOcx-qTDvAT1YakKR2x9gtnaS5BwDbFdmphoH00Ig

The UniOne Cartridge uses OXVA’s tried and tested UniCoil system and whilst they were kind enough to send me a sample pack of coils you only get a single 0.2 ohm coil in the kit. If you intend using any of the other coils from the UniCoil range you will need to buy a UniCoil AFC ring as this is also not included, this appears to have been done as a cost cutting exercise (or to hit a price point?). A quick look in the manual suggests that they were intending including the 0.3 ohm coil as well and I think it would have been much better if they had included a second coil with the AFC in the box, luckily for me I already had one to hand.

You can also use the tank section from the UniOne PnM tank in the Origin 2 which gives you access to the UniPlus series coils. I’d treat this as a bonus feature though because as far as I can see the only way to get this is to buy the whole UniOne PnM tank and I was only able to test this as I had one to hand already.

For all you nickel sensitives out there the full tangle of coils are Kanthal and performance from the coils is just as good as it’s always been. I’ve previously criticized the overambitious wattage ratings printed on the coils and that still stands with the 0.2 ohm performing best at 45~50 watts, well below the quoted 55~60 watts.

Pros:
  • Uses existing UniCoil series
  • Great update to a classic kit
  • Solid construction

Cons:
  • Only one coil included

Conclusion:

A great update to the Origin series, the Origin 2 hasn’t disappointed and it’s great to see OXVA continuing to use the UniCoil series across a range of devices. The pack in’s are a little disappointing though and if you intend using any of the coils other than the 0.2 ohm one you’ll need to remember to order that UniCoil AFC as well.

Many thanks to OXVA for sending the Origin 2 out for review.

mMAj9IbDXVoJE7h2QFTuPE6M936YO9s_uK-yCxpCejRoss3YSIpkHKBeVNV92azrGCeYuV_wbMcmnwNZ3i4nraeTM2UJ1Zue8AFtMbUHupbF3ehTa4K_jL15fpxedg09ToysJmy7aq1LXJw8tA

@OXVA

UPDATE:

OXVA have apparently updated the final packaging and it will now include 2 coils and a usb cable in the final retail version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom