What's new

RTA’s

Les53

Postman
I’m fairly new to vaping and use a couple of Nautilus 3 tanks, I use 1.8ohm coils.

Could someone please explain to me the advantages of RTA tanks over what I’m using now?

The coil building and wicking looks quite intriguing and I quite fancy trying it.

I’m not a so called cloud chaser, I’m just a bloke who uses vapes in place of fags.

So how would I benefit from going down the RTA route? Or wouldn’t I?

RTA’s will save you money. Instead of £2-£3/coil you’ll pay pennies for a coil/cotton build.

It is something you will likely have to be patient with, getting the wicking right is the secret and can be frustrating. But it can also be rewarding as you tailor the build to your vaping style.

RTA’s will cost you loads more because you’ll keep wanting to buy a new one to play with (known as shinyitus). You’ll be continually tempted by the next best RTA and you’ll be forever waiting for the postie to bring you your next dream vape.

That’s both sides. Good luck and enjoy :thumbup:

Well I’m quite well versed when it comes to shinyitis! I’ve been into guns, watches and cars for most of my life.😂

These days funds don’t allow lots of new cars , guns or watches. So vaping still looks relatively cheap, but I have seen some very expensive mods and tanks, eye watering money in fact.

As a newbie to RTA’s , what would be a decent tank to start with? Bearing in mind my mods only take up to 24mm.

Is it best to buy pre made coils or buy the wire and do it myself?

When it comes to DIY coils, is there any particular spec to bear in mind when it comes to coil diameter or amount of turns ?

@hack400 summed it up pretty well IMO :thumbup:

I understand people who can't be arsed. I spend a lot of time re-coiling and wicking tanks. Too much time. I am a bit pedantic in that I like a fresh wick for every tank full, partly because the juices that I use are pretty hard on the coils.

That said, I would never go back to stock coils.

Flavour was once a big reason for using RTAs, but this is no longer so relevant as some of the modern stock coils (mesh) have very good flavour indeed. Possibly even better than RTAs.

Nevertheless, vapour from an RTA is just different. I can't put my finger on what it is... more substantial... chewy... organic... unfiltered... or something equally pretentious :rolleyes: It reminds me of the difference between rollups and tailor made cigarettes. They both do the job, and some tailor mades are pretty good, but ultimately those dirty rollups were just more satisfying.

If you decide to check it out, send me a private message, I might have some stuff to help you get going. A bit of wire, cotton, a tank or two. It won't be everything (you'll still need a few tools like screwdrivers, wire clippers, etc) but it will save you a few bob.

If you're using a Nautilus 3, rest assured no-one is going to call you a cloud chaser. But using the stock coil I'm sure you've come across the age old issue with them, up the wattage too much and it tastes burnt due to piss-poor juiceflow.

So what has been the solution to straying outwith the coils recommended wattage range? Rebuildables.

Enter into this world and most restrictions relating to wattage and both juice and airflow can be alleviated.

You can even change the coil material to use temperature control and kiss goodbye to dry hits.

Can't recommend any tanks to you as I'm stuck in a 2017-2021 timewarp for kit and manufacturers only seem to produce gear for a few months nowadays.

I use rtas and the Nautilus 3, I haven't used the 1.8 coil in quite a while but you will notice the flavour from an rta is much better though you will be rewicking it more frequently than changing a Nautilus coil. 24mm is about the biggest size, most are 22mm. For a very good and easy to wick and use rta to start out on you could do worse than the Bi2hop.

Pre-made coils are easier and can be had for about 50p each while the cost of a spool of wire for diy coil means coil costs are of no consideration. The usual coil diamters are 2.5 or 3mm with the wire gauge and # of wraps determining the ohms.

@hack400 summed it up pretty well IMO :thumbup:

I understand people who can't be arsed. I spend a lot of time re-coiling and wicking tanks. Too much time. I am a bit pedantic in that I like a fresh wick for every tank full, partly because the juices that I use are pretty hard on the coils.

That said, I would never go back to stock coils.

Flavour was once a big reason for using RTAs, but this is no longer so relevant as some of the modern stock coils (mesh) have very good flavour indeed. Possibly even better than RTAs.

Nevertheless, vapour from an RTA is just different. I can't put my finger on what it is... more substantial... chewy... organic... unfiltered... or something equally pretentious :rolleyes: It reminds me of the difference between rollups and tailor made cigarettes. They both do the job, and some tailor mades are pretty good, but ultimately those dirty rollups were just more satisfying.

If you decide to check it out, send me a private message, I might have some stuff to help you get going. A bit of wire, cotton, a tank or two. It won't be everything (you'll still need a few tools like screwdrivers, wire clippers, etc) but it will save you a few bob.
Thank you for the offer, much appreciated 👍

I’m fairly new to vaping and use a couple of Nautilus 3 tanks, I use 1.8ohm coils.

Could someone please explain to me the advantages of RTA tanks over what I’m using now?

The coil building and wicking looks quite intriguing and I quite fancy trying it.

I’m not a so called cloud chaser, I’m just a bloke who uses vapes in place of fags.

So how would I benefit from going down the RTA route? Or wouldn’t I?
Nautilus is a great place to start, was what got me off the cigs many years ago,

And with the mesh coils still using one
They are great for a low faff vaping

Just revisiting rtas myself, good budget option would be the neeko, not may about but just got one off eBay, and it’s a great little tank, with loads of dialling in potential,

Also keep an eye out for a bishop, haven’t tried it, heard great things about it,

There is the BP Pioneer insider rta, cheap and a bloody good little rta.

Back
Top Bottom