What's new

Stabwood mods And deforestation

Stabilised wood doesn't need to be made from endangered tree species, one could use oak, walnut, cherry etc...

But aren't you a part of the problem Stu?

Surely not using stabwood at all would be the way to go.

no way, because I only use UK wood that I cut myself I can trace the tree right back, I know its location I worked and (still do elsewhere) in an arboretum each year in the planting season we plated on average 400 trees per year plus we thinned cleared and supported nurtured older trees I did this at one place for 10 years

the site at the moment we have mapped marked 90 rarer trees that have been planted some have preservation orders on them sorted by me and the local rep

I won't and never will use imported wood all my wood is UK at the very least the wood is wind or age fallen timber I would NEVER cut a tree down that's healthy just to sell the wood for profit

as a notable point the first picture below is of an old mixed wood woodland the owner who owned the arboretum as well the one we maintained sold the timber to the harvesters (commercial loggers they came in and cut all the trees down they were supposed to thin but instead took more than they should) I went nuts it wasn't my place to do so but after 10 years working for the chap I told him to fuck off and me and my son walked off the contract I lost a quarter of my income that was last year so all this below went I've seen logging close up

IMG_2088.jpg

this is what we did we cleared the area below and got the wood split to make "cleft fencing" in the two green areas we replated with hazel, birch, alder, gelding rose, spindle berry, alunis later in the spring

IMG_1999.jpg

this is wind damaged wood the path is a bridel way the tree had rot in the centre hence why it had fallen

IMG_5115.jpg

this is clearing the nettles and scrub from around the trees using a brush saw so that the smaller trees we have planted in tubix will have a chance to grow each one of those trees you see I

have put in the ground myself by hand

IMG_1622.jpg

so now I've had my little hissy fit:), as far as I know, I am the only modmaker that plants grows, thins, dries, stabilises the wood all in house

Last edited:
But aren't you a part of the problem Stu?

Surely not using stabwood at all would be the way to go.

I think the way Stu does it is using sustainable wood that he finds, rather than wood that's been cut down. A very different thing from buying exotic wood that's been logged.

A bit like a hunter that has a deer head on their wall compared to one that has a sumatran tiger. Or simpler, someone who buys free range eggs rather than battery hen ones.

Edit: Just seen above and it's more complicated than finding wood but the idea's the same.

I was only playing devils advocate with my question.

I think you covered it all nicely.

I was only playing devils advocate with my question.

I think you covered it all nicely.

that's ok I don't I'm glad you asked

I miss the place I worked every day I miss it we went 2 times a week to it 52 weeks a year it was my creation my legacy and I walked away from it, did it hurt....yes every day it hurts, I have now only pictures of it

but we are doing a new place but it's not as big.

So are the various types of burl that some use in high end mod making acquired by killing a tree? What little I've read indicates that burls are rare and highly sought after, due to their unique patterns, often growing on the tree roots, and sometimes poached to obtain the burl.

I don't consider myself a tree hugger, but I'm strongly in favour of sustainability, what with what's happening to the likes of the Amazon rain forest etc. If I was that vain about my mods, why not go for ivory? I'm sure someone somewhere will have one.

So are the various types of burl that some use in high end mod making acquired by killing a tree? What little I've read indicates that burls are rare and highly sought after, due to their unique patterns, often growing on the tree roots, and sometimes poached to obtain the burl.

I don't consider myself a tree hugger, but I'm strongly in favour of sustainability, what with what's happening to the likes of the Amazon rain forest etc. If I was that vain about my mods, why not go for ivory? I'm sure someone somewhere will have one.

That’s the thing burl is a sort after wood there are various forms most is hardwood which is very hard to stabilise it’s too dense some is from the roots some is from knots etc some trees are very sort after one or two are grown on islands small and large

The situation is like this you have a rare commodity be it say emu wood you only have so much But you need to eat the western man comes along a buys the lot he wants more and more you cut more down then it suddenly dawns on you that you have cut the lot down and there is no more the western man moves on you are left with nothing trees take time to grow all the ones I’ve planted will be mature when I’m dead and buried you can’t grow wood fast enough to replace what’s being cut down it’s as serious as the french president said “our house is burning” but he should of said after a “no one has any water to put the fire out”

I’ve been watching the news feeds and the weather today it’s been cool today, tomorrow it’s going to hit 32degrees don’t you think it’s getting worrying

No or little seasons now it’s just extremes of weather

I sound like an idiot but if I can change one persons mind from buying something from an endangered tree it’s worth it

That’s the thing burl is a sort after wood there are various forms most is hardwood which is very hard to stabilise it’s too dense some is from the roots some is from knots etc some trees are very sort after one or two are grown on islands small and large

The situation is like this you have a rare commodity be it say emu wood you only have so much But you need to eat the western man comes along a buys the lot he wants more and more you cut more down then it suddenly dawns on you that you have cut the lot down and there is no more the western man moves on you are left with nothing trees take time to grow all the ones I’ve planted will be mature when I’m dead and buried you can’t grow wood fast enough to replace what’s being cut down it’s as serious as the french president said “our house is burning” but he should of said after a “no one has any water to put the fire out”

I’ve been watching the news feeds and the weather today it’s been cool today, tomorrow it’s going to hit 32degrees don’t you think it’s getting worrying

No or little seasons now it’s just extremes of weather

I sound like an idiot but if I can change one persons mind from buying something from an endangered tree it’s worth it
You've got me thinking twice about it for sure Stu.

Now about that exotic rare wood mod I ordered [emoji16]

You've got me thinking twice about it for sure Stu.

Now about that exotic rare wood mod I ordered [emoji16]

I think Stu can still can sort us out for willybong wood.
I'm going to carve a magnificent pipe.
In length and girth :D

Back
Top Bottom