What's new

Tips to avoid burnt taste

Jwbythesea

Hi. New to forums so hope this is ok to ask ? I have a very easier the better attitude towards vaping which I have been doing for many years but was hoping for some guidance please. I currently use an Aspire Nautilus mini with an Eleaf iStick TC40w battery. My tank has a 1.84 BVC atomiser which I change regularly. I have recently changed liquids to include nicotine (I know, not good!). Thought I’d try short fills with a 20mg Nic salts shot and I have also tried non short fill Nic salts liquids but every liquid I use is giving me a burnt taste and ruining the flavour and I’m not sure why. I don’t vape at high temperatures, normally at 4V (8.7W). Disappointed that I don’t get the smooth full flavours of disposables I have previously tried despite using the makers own liquid.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jo

What’s your regime for priming the coils?
Although 8/9 watts is under the “recommended” wattage, jumping straight in at that may be burning the coil.

Hi @Jwbythesea and welcome to the planet.

ahh the great old istick40TC, ive still got 3 of them but hardly used now.

As you are using a 1.8ohm coil for mouth to lung vaping at low watts the only issue i can guess is maybe the shortfills as these are usually higher vg either 70/80vg so too thick for your coils. There are a few out there that supply 50vg/50pg shorfills so adding a nic salt shorfill which are usually 50/50 should keep the liquid thin.
What shortfils have you tried, make/flavour/ratio vg on bottle?

Apart from that priming is a must with all coils as John has mentioned. drip juice on all the cotton around the coil and a couple of drop in the top so the cotton soaks it up. then fill and start low. so as your already on very low wattahe i would start at 5watt and then turn up a watt every few puffs. you may not get any flavour or cloud at first but the coil is still heating up and bedding in the cotton. that should prolong the life of the coil but only if you are using 50/50, anything higher vg and they will burn out a lot quicker.

ps
also make sure you have not accidently set it to TC mode. TC should not be used with nautilus coils.
the big number on the screen should show 8.7w

Last edited:
What’s your regime for priming the coils?
Although 8/9 watts is under the “recommended” wattage, jumping straight in at that may be burning the coil.
Hi John. I normally leave it for a few mins before using it. Weird that only just started noticing this since putting Nic back in ! Thanks so much

As long as you've primed a 1.8 Nautilus coil and left it to saturate the coil for 5 mins or so 8watts should be fine. That coil only really suits 50/50 so as already mentioned if you're now using high VG juice such as 70/30 then that coil won't wick well with it hence you'll very likely get a burnt flavour. For higher VG try the 1ohm.

Hi John. I normally leave it for a few mins before using it. Weird that only just started noticing this since putting Nic back in ! Thanks so much
I vape 50/50 on a 1 ohm Nautilus mesh coil at 7.5/8 watts. Generally I let it soak for a good 10-15 mins and increase the wattage by.5w from a start of 5w.
As suggested, 70/30 through a 1.8 ohm is going to be “challenging” - more so if the nic you’ve added is 100 VG as that’ll increase thickness. You can get 100 PG nic shots which will decrease thickness, but it could still be a problem keeping the wick wet.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to you all for your advice. I have changed my coils to 1ohm and it has made such a difference!

😁

Back
Top Bottom