What's new

Tobacco Firms start Court Case to block e-cigs (Italy)

Matt Gluggles

Postman

electronic-cigarette-147880146-676x450.jpg

The Italian union of tobacco operators last week lodged an appeal with the regional court of Lazio, in an attempt to block the sale of electronic cigarettes.

The tobacco operators claim that e-cigs are "unfair competition" and should be taxed like tobacco cigarettes !

But in the topsy-turvey world of this Italian news, a chief executive of a Pharma company says that "“I used to smoke more than a pack a day,” and continued, “then I tried e-cigarettes thanks to a friend. I stopped using traditional cigarettes. I feel better physically and I’m saving money. I am amazed by the polemic concerning the alleged harmfulness of electronic cigarettes. I think it is a matter of loss of money for the government, which can’t apply taxation to them yet. “

More details here

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/64093-italian-tobacco-industry-wrestling-with-electronic-cigarettes/

[Hat-Tip to Christopher Snowdon, who spotted the article and posted it on Twitter.]

Last edited:
Another recognition that behind all the opposition to ecigs lies money, mullah, profit, reduced markets, profits and taxes.

Its not 'unfair competition' Tobacco kills and there is, in a world of nanny states with a need to increase revenue, some justification for so called 'sin taxes'

Ecigs don't kill and are about as 'sinful' or as harmful to the community or expensive to the health services as Nescafé

Noteable this comes from Italy too with the Italian MP last week being honest enough to be complaining how ecigs were hurting tobacco tax revenues and what were they going to do about it.

The rest of the EU are hiding behind supposed unknown risks, gateway theories and all the rest of the garbage

Last edited:
Another recognition that behind all the opposition to ecigs lies money, mullah, profit, reduced markets, profits and taxes.

It'll be interesting to see if they try. To my mind, in an eCommerce world, if the likes of Google and Amazon can skip away avoiding paying taxes then ecigs suppliers just need to move theoretical operating centres to avoid any problems.

If course, I should point out that my mind is a delicate little flower missing half its petals. :D

Makes the saying true

"Born Free, Taxed till Death"

If they dont tax it, they will find a way !!!!

Back
Top Bottom