What's new

Voopoo Argus Z kit

red5

Achiever
Voopoo Argus Z kit review by Antony Lord
ZTYn1RoqezVEw7uDrccqOTt6EQq8pp1-3KgkS6KMCFakiNo_9amHLYSBo32gtQn6fby7nYXm6maUI0L1G0wL2ZvXzzrBO4dzHXaA_DXeq_UzuG1c20U25OP7Dh7kNoi-Ev1191xq2-u84mXMqj3LyjcutAU6J1TnVnbZylwdNESr19oZu8AEADJfewAbAw

Voopoo have been kind enough to send over the latest entry in their starter kit lineup, the Argus Z. I had a pretty good experience with the Argus P1 kit recently (review HERE) and this uses the same pods in a smaller platform so I was looking forward to this arriving.

Specifications:
  • 91.2 x 27.2 x 14.8mm / 39 grams
  • Aluminum Alloy+PC
  • 900mAh Built-in Battery
  • Power: ≤17W
  • Type C charging
  • ARGUS POD Cartridge
KbrDUiWxmTmFlJ89EgjRQFTOVMpBXsYVzvkpVA0LAU6vnNLRrM-G3OkIr8ibNnP0ak7AYLojLtiqlFFdbQWOhbNUJDDkakHxTjr1mX2LKagT4AZLYhd5oVys_O8hcrSMIhHJkgkDIcvjXOUXcqv1bFqBvjZRs0lyFvn7BxdMlQyJE2xs7nTTBr0s6D8FBQ

The Argus Z comes in very simple packaging with the battery, one pod, a usb-c charge cable and a brief instruction booklet. It is available in a wide variety of two tone colours and I was sent the “Mint silver” variant which sports a silver aluminum alloy base with a light blue polycarbonate upper section.

Once again I was disappointed to find that only one pod was included (0.7 ohm) but as this is squarely aimed at the lower (sub £25) end of the beginners market it is somewhat understandable.
6nV6XqgGL82GfuzFNAEY-axzSrpfc37CjZAtuF1DZDB_9rTL0vxIjP02ODztfszDi73HK5NoXdT3jlOR8smggZ6tCQvoh3gYOk4V8hCFhyIsV8iNsfXMsK679qwDfClNiMuxWwQT82oR0ghtcpOgNJ33B4o1BqTKWbHWandk_2ynH9j_Rpt0aa4POpZpOg

The Argus Z doesn’t break any design conventions consisting of a flattened pen style battery section with a pod held in place at the top by magnets, I do like the two tone design though which makes it stand out from the crowd a little. One thing that immediately struck me when taking this out of the box was that it’s so much lighter than the Argus P1, almost half the weight in fact, this is due to the aluminum and polycarbonate construction and it makes it far more pocket friendly. Stick this in a shirt pocket and you’ll quickly forget that it’s even there.

This is once again a purely draw activated device so newcomers don’t have any complicated buttons or menus to deal with. The autodraw functionality has been flawless with the autodraw detector hidden under the pod and if you’re wondering how the air gets to the coil it’s drawn in via those two subtle cutouts you can see on the top of the polycarbonate section.

There’s a conveniently placed USB-C charge port on the rear of the device and in my tests this hit a peak charge rate of 0.7amps giving a total usable capacity of 852mah in 1 hour and 23 minutes. Whilst it’s not the fastest to charge I found that the ample battery capacity was easily able to get me through a day and a half’s typical use which is quite impressive from such a small unit.

There are 3 LED indicators on the front but these once again seem to be underutilized simply glowing green when in use or blue whilst charging. The lack of any battery health/percentage indications has once again left me with little to no warning of an imminently flat battery so it’s a good job I rarely leave the house without two setups to hand.
EcWY4MisrUOVGM13yBwDlmnIjH_NSZfffxX_1bB893UHVB6pajHG_TtbO8Xc85rnne8gktLLuUcUw2v-3v41iNDf7mqBd0jOWWuAz-sK_UIb6rFIrylerwbzLVpdf-8G167pU6SE6L7Tyk-o_Kmb-J_2IbsKYI1f6fvJY-NaiB0Bq5-Y6bnbqbnO7xa4UA

The Argus Z uses the same pod as the Argus P1 and is again compatible with the earlier Argus pods. These have the Ohm rating clearly marked on the seal hiding the fill port and use Voopoo’s patented ITO leak proof design.

These use a modern kanthal mesh coil and I continue to be impressed by their behavior, they give consistently good flavour with a modern loose MTL draw. That leak free claim appears to hold up as unlike many similar kits I don’t find myself having to clean out the top of the battery section constantly, any mess I have encountered has been from filling and is purely down to user error. I love how clear the pods are as well making it easy to see your eliquid level at a glance.

Pros:
  • Great performance from the Argus Pods
  • Good battery life
  • Lightweight

Cons:
  • Only one pod included
  • Not much warning of a flat battery

Conclusion:

Another great budget friendly starter kit from Voopoo. The Argus Z may lack some of the more advanced features of the Argus P1 (altering the power determined on the strength and duration of your draw and the adjustable airflow) but the performance from the Argus pods still remains just as good. This is much more pocket friendly though at just 39 grams whilst somehow still managing to pack in a 900 mah battery which should get even the heaviest of chain vapers through the day.
90licFTQKxijpjRcEeFTh9oVOYiTWd8wpw9MYSdmQgvGu44CQOnKCwfDX4ZOU8vGt7hyTZsFjnBYVmgcXCWPFgkw8E7iSIn0Omov7kznRlbkYTc29XwOO5GleYUJ1XraHKFRHOnxg9kXb0xLlcvSmrUMX1_CDRuiEwwulmACvW6WZG4scr4BykCahyiF_Q

Many thanks to @VOOPOO for sending the Argus Z out for review.
SW3v9Kk33MOlD3P80G5hNPK6NZZbVPfxoyA7HwUEO-l-d-SRhRSxyQYWFKpjKDHBkH5YSSrtDZzjP74vLbD8nWT2dxUHmCzcl9o_7XWok561QwCOt4OcR4piLZcD3A1260NRtz1z6woOLeRF19Kh6WK3Txdb-lHRsyyfQ-laKRtB6esNYwHNlLneNC6ezQ

It seems like a strange move from Voopoo with this pod.
The 1st, Argus pod uses the same pods, but has an adjustable display and airflow control. I don't see the point of this one.

Thanks @red5 good review, after using the Argus pod and the Argus P1 which are excellent kits this seems a step backwards although a lovely looking kit and using the same pods. It’s a shame there’s only one pod as well as sometimes new users could have a problem with just the one. But I have to admit the pods are good not had any issues with them so Voopoo are doing something right, good for them.

I've only seen this on preorder at one place in the UK for £22 but I'm guessing it's going to be sub £20 at most places so I think this is really the entry level kit.

Back
Top Bottom