What's new

VooPoo Drag S Pro.

Astral

Achiever

Voopoo Drag S Pro.

Disclaimer: This is an independent review of a vape device kindly provided to me by @VOOPOO and is not associated with Planet Of The Vapes or any other organisation. The opinions here are purely my own and I am not receiving any payment or inducement for them.

DSCF0001 (2).JPG

Life’s a Drag, but vaping needn’t be, particularly when VooPoo keeps releasing new versions of their flagship device. There’s so many now, it’s sometimes hard to keep up.

It seems like only five minutes ago I was reviewing the Drag X and Drag 3 models and one wonders what could have changed in the short period since, but change things apparently have.

After reassessing their standard bearer and deciding it could be improved upon, VooPoo has now made some significant alterations and it seems they’re now going after the MTL market as well as their traditional DTL.

In order to do this they’ve completely reimagined how their pod system should work and not only completely replaced the PnP/TPP pods with a new TPP-X pod for apparent greater MTL integration, but added an airflow control ring and auto-draw into the mix too.

Whether or not this works is something I was keen to find out but it did nothing to quell my anticipation that this might be ‘the one’.

The narrow spectrum of the previous models was a major bugbear of mine and while I liked both the mods enormously, I felt that their single mindedness limited them to a select part of the market and would’ve been better had they been devices that can do both.

Apparently VooPoo felt the same and they now tell us their new devices will do just that.

On the face of it everything looks good and there seems to be some very welcome inclusions; a 3000mah battery, 5v/2.5amp USB Type-C charging, a knurled, grippy airflow control ring and a programmable locking switch that can either lock the controls or power it on and off.

It has short-circuit protection, overtime, overcharge, output over-current, over discharge, over temperature, max power and reverse battery protections too, and you can even download TCR firmware to add to the smart and RBA modes if you wish, but why they’ve made this a separate firmware download is anyone’s guess. You’d think they’d just include it as standard?

The user interface featuring your battery level, wattage, resistance, voltage, puff time and puff counter is all standard VooPoo too, and there’s a simple menu for your switch and mode controls that’s accessed by holding the up and down buttons down together.

DSCF9974 (2).JPG

It comes in a range of seven colours; California orange, classic black, garda blue, mystic red, Sahara brown, sapphire blue, and Gobi grey and features an embossed ‘DRAG’ branded three-quarter ‘leather’ wrap, that enshrouds the 135.5 x 28.8 x 34.5mm zinc-alloy frame nicely.

DSCF9923 (2).JPG DSCF9928 (2).JPG
DSCF9931 (2).JPG DSCF9935 (2).JPG

So, on paper it all looks good, and it all comes down to how it performs, and in that respect it does really rather well.

It might well use the same TPP coils as the standard version, but they’ve now added a new 5.5ml TPP-X pod to the mix to feature a removable 810 drip-tip and an intriguing twist to expose side-fill set-up.

This is quite a novel filling method as the bung is exposed via a button which secures it in place, but it does seem overly convoluted and a little difficult to dig out.

DSCF9948 (2).JPG DSCF9951 (2).JPG
DSCF9957 (2).JPG DSCF9967 (2).JPG

If you’re not happy with this though, you can still use the TPP and PNP pods of old if you want and the PNP MTL pod fits nicely too.

DSCF9943 (2).JPG

And as they’re all so cheap, you can fiddle about with them until your heart’s content and the variety means you needn’t worry your pod’s going to become obsolete as soon as you’ve bought it. The only real outlay you're going to have is the vast array of thirteen coils Voopoo has to offer and the abundance of juice you’ll consume.

And consume it you will. These devices don’t half get through it.

At 5-80w and with 0.15 (60-80w) and 0.3ohm (32-40w) TPP-DM1 and TPP-DM4 mesh coils you can practically watch the reservoir deplete before your eyes.

That said, the new metal top-cap and base do make these TPP-X pods slightly less transparent than the pods of old so you can still live in denial if you want to.

In use the Drag Pro is exceptional though and you probably will want to know how much juice you're using because you’re vaping it so much.

The new GENE.FAN 3.0 chip-set is said to offer 20% better performance than before and it even features an 8.5v boost mode giving you an extra bit of oomph when you need it.

I certainly had no complaints with the power on offer and to be honest, I found it a bit too overwhelming at times and had to scale myself back. Only a true hardcore vaper is going to want for more here.

The auto-draw is a nice touch too, and while it should ordinarily benefit MTL users the most, it’s equally effective in DTL use and provides users with an experience they’re unlikely to have had in this sphere before.

You could see it as a novelty, but it’s a nice novelty to have and one that I hope catches on. We could well do with more integration in vaping devices and the success of this is going to go a long way to achieve it.

Unfortunately though you’re still going to need the PNP MTL pod and PNP coils if you want a true MTL vape as this new Drag Pro is no MTL device despite the billing, so I have to be honest and say my bugbear still remains.

That’s not to say that you can’t MTL with it, it’s just going to be a very, very loose MTL, and while the bottom fed ‘360 degree infinite airflow’ is supposed to match the ideation of MTL the TPP-X tank and TPP coils don’t. This really is still for sub-ohming, and that’s something the Pro does as well as ever.

Whether or not auto-draw catches on for that remains to be seen too, but I know I certainly enjoyed the option.

Something I suspect that will catch on though is that programmable locking switch that they’ve introduced.

This is so handy it means you can prevent unwanted pocket firing easily without having to jab at the power button endlessly.

It can be set to turn the device on and off or to just lock the controls, although what the point of locking the controls is when there’s virtually no boot up time, I’m not sure.

Other than that, there’s not much more to be said. Everything else on board here is relatively standard Voopoo.

You get your mod, your pod, your two coils, a USB Type-C cable and your literature all set out in a simple, sleeved box.

DSCF9979 (2).JPG DSCF9984 (2).JPG

It performs well and does exactly what it always has.

As it stands then, Voopoo has done an excellent job with this new Drag Pro. This is certainly an upgrade on the previous Drag models and one worth having even if you already have one. The new tank, extra battery capacity, improved chip-set, lock switch and the introduction of auto-draw provides new features that will benefit all vapers regardless of their style.

Unfortunately, the only bugbear I had before remains and we’re going to have to wait for that hybrid DTL/MTL device, but, that said, this is definitely an improvement on previous Drags and it’s fans are going to enjoy it, and for those that have never owned one before, I can envisage that these new features might well be the catalyst to choosing one ahead of its rivals.

So, all in all, I’ve enjoyed doing yet another test of a new Drag model, and await with bated breath what’s to come next, but with VooPoo being VooPoo I doubt we’ll have to wait too long to find out. Roll on next week!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review mate. Looks like they've scored another own goal from my POV.

Another good read sir! Shame they can't seem to get the MTL anything other than ridiculously loose.

Thanks for the review mate. Looks like they've scored another own goal from my POV.

Another good read sir! Shame they can't seem to get the MTL anything other than ridiculously loose.

Thanks guys. It's odd isn't it? They say they want to integrate MTL but still can't quite seemingly bring themselves to quite actually do it. At least they've kept it compatible with the MTL pod though which only costs a few quid and does do a very decent MTL.

As usual @Astral, well written, clear pics, informative....and now I want one!

Thanks for the review.

Thanks @Cyman404, I try my best. They go through a fair few rewrites before I post them, I can tell you.

Great review! I really love that you can change the function of the 'lock' switch to on/off, I have clumsy thumbs and struggle with doing the "5 button clicks" thing sometimes so I changed the settings straight away on mine and it's much easier. Also good to know someone else has found those coils drink up juice insanely fast!

Great review @Astral i agree with Forest, wish they could do better with the MTL draw, i do like their coils but the Airflow is always so loose.

@VOOPOO please can u look at releasing a drag for dedicated true MTL.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom