What's new

What the FLIP?!? 30Q vs HB6?

Subohmoctopus

Postman
According to my XTAR VC4 charger that arrived today it put about 2600MaH into getting my new samsung 30Qs from 3.6volts to 4.2volts and spent most of the day doing it.

According to that same charger it put about 300MaH getting my HB6s from 3.8volts to 4.2volts and took about 20minutes.

So my samsung 30Qs have probably around 2300Mah more capacity than my HB6s when vaping on my mech down to about 3.7ish volts cut off.

WtF?

:vom:

Last edited:
Yeah but most of your mah will be eaten by battery sag so they will work out the same in usage [emoji23]

Right, well firstly, when discharging these batteries, their charge will quite quickly drop down from 4.2 volts towards 3.7 volts, but then it tends to level out (or "plateau" if you like!) at around 3.7 volts for a while, before dropping from around 3.7 volts towards battery change time. So there is a big region around 3.7 volts.

Therefore, you can't really tell much about the mAh when looking at the difference between a battery charged from 3.8 volts and a battery charged from 3.6 volts, as you are either side of the "plateau" and that plateau is where a disproportionate amount of the mAh will lie, if you see what I mean.

In other words, don't worry.

Also, in reference to your mentioning the time it took to charge, a first charge on a set of batteries usually takes a bit longer than subsequent charges.

In other words, once again, don't worry.

Right, well firstly, when discharging these batteries, their charge will quite quickly drop down from 4.2 volts towards 3.7 volts, but then it tends to level out (or "plateau" if you like!) at around 3.7 volts for a while, before dropping from around 3.7 volts towards battery change time. So there is a big region around 3.7 volts.

Therefore, you can't really tell much about the mAh when looking at the difference between a battery charged from 3.8 volts and a battery charged from 3.6 volts, as you are either side of the "plateau" and that plateau is where a disproportionate amount of the mAh will lie, if you see what I mean.

In other words, don't worry.

Also, in reference to your mentioning the time it took to charge, a first charge on a set of batteries usually takes a bit longer than subsequent charges.

In other words, once again, don't worry.
Oh right I didnt know that about 3.7v, any reason why it does that? Thanks for the info

Also, seeing as you are building at around the 0.7 ohm mark, you aren't really stressing your 30q's and so I really wouldn't worry about voltage sag too much - there will be sag, but it isn't going to make that much of a difference. Just use them in your mech and regularly check their voltage until you get a feel for when they need changing, and *then* decide if you are getting the benefit of the extra mAh.

Oh right I didnt know that about 3.7v, any reason why it does that? Thanks for the info
Because they are nominally rated at 3.7 volts.

I was oversimplifying the picture somewhat, in my previous post. In reality, they discharge quickly from 4.2 to 3.9, then the rate at which they discharge decelerates to around 3.8, whereupon they discharge slowly and evenly downwards till around 3.3, and then the rate at which they discharge increases again. (This is at 10 amps - see the diagram below)

e643149e-5767-4c82-846c-16f705c11ad0-jpeg.712793

Look at how little the amp hours are, for the red line, between 4.2 and 3.8 volts, and then see how much longer it is down to 3.6 volts. That is what I meant in my earlier post.

A lot of mech users build to a sweet spot at the top end of the charge, from 4.2 to 3.7, but that is where they discharge the quickest. The advantage of this is you get the highest wattage vape, and it is easy to tell when the vape is getting weak, and you only have to recharge from 3.7 up to 4.2. The disadvantage is reduced runtime between battery changes.

Others build to put up with a little bit of a hot feisty vape to begin with on fully charged batteries, and then the build settles down and the vape is "good" down to around 3.3 or 3.2 volts. The advantage of this a longer runtime between battery changes, and a longer time with a vape that is not too weak. The disadvantage of this is the vape can be too hot to begin with, and you risk running your batteries too low if you aren't careful.

The way this works out all depends on the material you use for your coils, combined with the gauge and number of wraps. It is a balancing act, trying to get a vape at the temperature you want, at a given voltage and it all takes a lot of experimentation.

If you use steam-engine.org to plan your builds, the thing you are looking at is the "Heat Flux", which tells you how hot a build will be at a certain voltage.

Back
Top Bottom