What's new

(Solved) Beginner struggling to build successful duel coil

.25mm 30 awg I believe. I got a metre of it free with the Igo w, I've nearly used all that on coils that aren't any use to me with duel coils though :(

Since you didn't buy the wire.
The problem could be that the wire is nichrome not kanthal. It takes more nichrome wire to achieve the same resistance as kanthal.
Head down to your B&M and get some kanthal wire then stop by your handyman shop and get some 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3mm drill bits to wrap coils on

Last edited:
I always use .25mm or .30mm kanthal for building micro coils. I alway wrap them around one of those mini screwdrivers you get with attys, that is about perfect for me :)

This was my latest attempt, 14 or 15 wraps (can't remember now) around a 2 mm bit. Came out at 1.4 ohm but it still had the same problem, about 4 seconds to glow, and when it did it wasn't very hot at max vv vw.. I'm back using it with a single coil at 1.3 ohm which produces loads of heat and clouds. This is really strange but I will work it out

Attachments

• 1399061835371.jpg
    1399061835371.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 1399061863666.jpg
    1399061863666.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
The coils you have in your dual coil build look like they have twice as many wraps as the single coil one, so they would take twice as long to heat up and since you have TWO coils in there it would take 4 times as long to heat up!

You're supposed to do less wraps on each coil than you would when using dual coils, not more. The more wire that is in there, the longer it will take to heat up.

If you made two coils with one or two wraps less than you have on your single coil build, that should be about right.

That can't be right, jet.. to achieve the same ohm on dual as you'd have on single you have to double each coil because it gets halved, so I had to aim for 2.6 ohm on each coil to have a finishing ohm reading of 1.3 ohm

do you HAVE to have dual coils? if the single is working fine why not just stick with that? i know thats no help just wondered.

I won't be defeated :) but yeah the single is plenty good enough but I want to experiment

So you think if there is MORE wire in there it will take LESS time to heat up? (this is sarcasm)

Try it out, two coils with one or two wraps less than what you have on your single coil setup now. Nothing to lose right?

Higher ohm dual coils is a bit of a pain as you do need to half the number, so as you said 2.6 becomes 1.3 (which is lots of wraps) In my opinion if you want to go dual, either get a mech mod so you can use lower ohm or a more powerful vv device

Back
Top Bottom