What's new

A truly innovative online mixing platform.

Have you ever made your own DIY flavours?

• No, I am happy with mainstream e-liquid flavours.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not yet, but I have always wanted to make my own.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Yes, I have actually already tried Dripper Labs!

• Yes, but it's not for me: results were disappointing.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Yes, but it's not for me: too much time and effort.

• Yes! There is a lot to learn, but I am getting there.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Yes! I am a a mixing god.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Hi MHL,
Can I just start by saying thanks for giving some honest feedback without assuming we are trying to replace or in anyway are anti-DIY!
We have massive respect for everyone doing DIY and are just trying to make the principles and joy of creating your own accessible to more people.

There are 66 ingredients and we do add more regularly, we actually started with 46 - so agree there are some holes, but we do aim to plug them over time.

What you are probably comparing is the number of concentrates available in DIY which is clearly in the 1000s compared to our 66 ingredients.
First thing to point out is that each of our ingredients is not just one concentrate, so we use multiple concentrates to give full bodied, balanced individual ingredients.
Some of those ingredients are pretty complex using as many as 10 individual concentrates for ingredients like lemonade.
Secondly, we genuinely only use the best concentrates we can find, as you probably know, not all concentrates are equal, so suddenly the 1000s available probably become 100-200 good quality concentrates from just 5-6 highly reputable suppliers. So our coverage of the quality end of the spectrum is pretty strong.

Last thing to say is that some little tips and tricks you might use as a mixer are in there but under friendlier names, for example cactus is often used to give a juicy, mouthfeel to a vape - we have it - we just call it Juicy instead of cactus.

So we are trying to cater for the ingredients that have a meaningful impact on the way flavours vape. Like giving individual control of the sweetness, cooler and menthol sliders.

BUT you are also right. We have had to narrow down the overwhelming large range of concentrates available and even when we do expand - will never cover them all.
What we are doing is curating and combining the very best and putting them on a plate for people who want custom flavours but without the learning curves and time needed to learn the art of DIY.

About 90% of our customers so far have either never tried DIY or more commonly tried and not got on with it. We hope to offer them the best of both.
We do have more experienced mixers who either join the platform for as you say being able to sell and reach a wider audience, or in many cases even the pro mixers who also - just can be bothered any more!

We would love to know what you think of the creator if you did want to sign up and have a play even if you didn't plan on making an order.
Experienced mixers only really need to know one thing about Dripper Labs:
Our sliders for each ingredient are between 0-100% and 100% is similar to the 'max concentrate strength' % that you would use in DIY. So if you use a concentrate with a max of 20% and you use it at 10% in your own recipe - it would be 50% on our slider. Each one is tailored to the specific ingredient. This means you cannot go over that 'chemical cliff' which is one of the common gotchas for new people starting out on DIY.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment,
Nick
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info, that makes sense and the flavour ratio slider seems like a very good approach to me.

Kudos for putting an easy UI onto something so potentially complicated.

I can see how homogonising a flavour would make it easier for noobs and experimenters but i wonder how big that market actually is? Not a criticism, just thinking aloud really. I hope it takes off for you, it's a great service.

Cheers

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info, that makes sense and the flavour ratio slider seems like a very good approach to me.

Kudos for putting an easy UI onto something so potentially complicated.

I can see how homogonising a flavour would make it easier for noobs and experimenters but i wonder how big that market actually is? Not a criticism, just thinking aloud really. I hope it takes off for you, it's a great service.

Cheers

Thanks again - we had a lot of time to think about the platform, UI, problems while we were developing the hardware and electronics for the pouring equipment.

So this is actually where it gets really interesting!
The biggest chunk of our customers are not necessarily just budding creators or mixers - they are just normal vapers!
Their juice graveyard is extensive, their wasted money on 'random flavour gambles' is high.
Like we were ourselves when we started. Disappointing or inconsistent quality, suppliers focussing on the design of the bottle rather than what's in it.
Most of our customers just love the simplicity and transparency that Dripper Labs offers.
You know exactly what you're getting, the quality is consistent regardless of what recipe you choose.
It makes exploring flavours fun again after so many vapers have become a little disheartened with their search for those ADV perfect flavours.

So in that respect - whilst our main USP is making your own flavours - actually there seems to be a much bigger number of vapers looking for a sanctuary from the status quo.

I don't know if you personally have seen any of those trends over the last few years?
-New ranges coming out faster and faster (less time perfecting flavours).
-Same old same old mainstream flavours, those niche flavours going out of stock because there wasn't enough demand.
-Brand/marketing and influencer giveaways seeming to be more important than what's in the bottle?
-Too many bottles ending up going to waste in the graveyard?
Certainly not all companies don't get me wrong...
But over the past 5 years this seems to be the direction it's going in and often at the cost of the vaper.

Would love to know what you think as always :)

Interesting. Might give this a go at some point.

That's awesome news Rew!
First step is to grab a free account and then you will be able to get some ideas for flavours going.
We respond very quickly if you want some feedback on your recipes or have any questions.

We recommend picking a couple of 30ml house flavours and a couple of 30ml create your own as a first order.
That's £20 all in with free delivery and nic shots for 4x 30mls.
Couple of tried and tested house flavours whose exact recipe you can see.
And a couple of your own ideas - that way you should get a solid cross-section of ingredients and strengths and your confidence will grow really quickly from there.

You can of course order just 1x30ml which is £8 delivered with nic.
Order before 3pm and get same day dispatch.
We normally throw in a free 30ml for first orders and certainly will if anyone name drops PlanetOfTheVapes :)

Welcome @DripperLabs great to have you here going to take a look now to see if I can nail a rhubarb and custard juice for my ADV

Hey Sam!
Thanks for the warm welcome - loving the response so far from the PoV community!
If you want any help or advice at all just message us..

For now here are the golden rules:
1) Sweetness is a key element of any recipe we say that most mainstream e-liquids are equivalent to 30-50%. The default is 20% you can nudge it up or down as you like to suit your preference and the recipe but generally 20-60% is a safe place to start with that one and we recommend you don't remove it completely. It acts as a booster or amplifier for your overall profile and will help your ingredients to sing!

2) Keep it simple: we recommend picking a couple of lead flavours and setting them in strong so circa 60-75%. Then compliment that with one or two additions maybe a red fruit to round out your Rhubarb or an addition to your custard (these will be background 20-40%. Not prominent flavours but boosters, contrasts and compliments to your mains. Plus the sweetness maybe some cooler or Juicy and your off to a good start 4-5 ingredients for a first recipe.

3) Overall strength - shown at the top in the overall flavour bar - you want this to be between 60-100% you don't have to fill it you will always get a full bottle but if its too low your flavour may lack punch or be muted. So get it into that range.

That's it really - follow those general rules and your flavours will be great! You may need to tweak once you taste it obviously and get calibrated on the flavours but its very forgiving,
Finally - make sure you look at those house flavours - examples are a great way to see what real recipes should look like :)
https://www.dripperlabs.com/house-flavours

Rhubarb is a GREAT ingredient, don't be shy with that one and I am sure you will love the results!

Thanks
Nick

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I love the idea behind this. Especially with the slider so that people can't go overboard with any particular component. I really don't mean to piss on your chips but most vapers that are into this kind of thing already mix themselves, at a much lower cost than you charge. I'm not suggesting that you drop your prices as obviously you're a business with mouths to feed but I worry that you may not find a big enough client base to really make it worth your while.
Sorry for coming across all Dragon's Den but it looks like one of those "great idea, but does it have the legs" ventures?
I do wish you the very best of luck though, as I said it's a great idea [emoji16]

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I love the idea behind this. Especially with the slider so that people can't go overboard with any particular component. I really don't mean to piss on your chips but most vapers that are into this kind of thing already mix themselves, at a much lower cost than you charge. I'm not suggesting that you drop your prices as obviously you're a business with mouths to feed but I worry that you may not find a big enough client base to really make it worth your while.
Sorry for coming across all Dragon's Den but it looks like one of those "great idea, but does it have the legs" ventures?
I do wish you the very best of luck though, as I said it's a great idea [emoji16]

Hi Banjostring,
As always - genuinely appreciate the honest feedback and constructive criticism.

It is certainly true that the DIY scene is thriving and I think more so on PoV compared to other socials which is great!
Ultimately we see ourselves as a fun, accessible and community driven alternative to mainstream e-liquid rather than to DIY.
Our focus is consistent quality and superb customer service whether you choose to try your own or as many do just enjoy the community and house flavours.

As you say I think those who have mastered the art, invested in concentrate collection and paid their dues to go through the learning curves are clearly able to make great e-liquid at a fraction of the market price for e-liquid - realistically we won't, or don't expect to compete with that.

With that said there is are a lot of vapers we have spoken to who have tried DIY and don't have the patience, time or commitment to get to that point. They do like the creativity but not the hassle. So for them we do present a really good alternative to paying £15/17.50 for premium e-liquid.

It is also a new offering for mixers to be able to use their skills in a lvining breathing marketplace, build their own product pages and flavour ranges and sell all across the UK for free picking up commission and kudos for their sales.

The size and demand does remain to be seen but even if we get to 1000 strong customer base out of 3.7M vapers in the UK we will be delighted!
So far after 10 months of being live we have reached 250+ customers and they are really very happy with the service so we have our fingers crossed that the future will be bright.

I appreciate we will not be for everyone and that's fine, hopefully by sticking to our core principles of service and quality we can build a sustainable business :)
If nothing else, it is very cool to be offering something truly different in an industry where all to often things are just re-hashes or tweaks on what has already been around.

Happy to hear more thoughts if anything I have said has got you thinking!

Thanks again,
Nick

Hi Banjostring,
As always - genuinely appreciate the honest feedback and constructive criticism.

It is certainly true that the DIY scene is thriving and I think more so on PoV compared to other socials which is great!
Ultimately we see ourselves as a fun, accessible and community driven alternative to mainstream e-liquid rather than to DIY.
Our focus is consistent quality and superb customer service whether you choose to try your own or as many do just enjoy the community and house flavours.

As you say I think those who have mastered the art, invested in concentrate collection and paid their dues to go through the learning curves are clearly able to make great e-liquid at a fraction of the market price for e-liquid - realistically we won't, or don't expect to compete with that.

With that said there is are a lot of vapers we have spoken to who have tried DIY and don't have the patience, time or commitment to get to that point. They do like the creativity but not the hassle. So for them we do present a really good alternative to paying £15/17.50 for premium e-liquid.

It is also a new offering for mixers to be able to use their skills in a lvining breathing marketplace, build their own product pages and flavour ranges and sell all across the UK for free picking up commission and kudos for their sales.

The size and demand does remain to be seen but even if we get to 1000 strong customer base out of 3.7M vapers in the UK we will be delighted!
So far after 10 months of being live we have reached 250+ customers and they are really very happy with the service so we have our fingers crossed that the future will be bright.

I appreciate we will not be for everyone and that's fine, hopefully by sticking to our core principles of service and quality we can build a sustainable business :)
If nothing else, it is very cool to be offering something truly different in an industry where all to often things are just re-hashes or tweaks on what has already been around.

Happy to hear more thoughts if anything I have said has got you thinking!

Thanks again,
Nick
Personally I see this as a middle ground between pre mixed and DIY . I know a few vapers who want to diy but can’t be arsed with the hassle or just haven’t plucked up the courage to enter into the diy world.

It can take along time to find that all day vape unicorn and cost a few £££, your service bridges that gap offering vapers an opportunity to diy with out the mess and helps them make a more informed decision.

I think truth be told its all about your recipes. If vapers like them and have been tested and reviewed then it will do well, if they are mediocre then folk will give it a pass and stick with one shots and the like that are tried and tested.

Personally I think you're missing a potentially very lucrative trick with where you're at with this.

Others have said it would be good to use mainstream named single concentrates.

I see you not doing so as a huge and fundamental flaw.

If you were to take that advice on board you would be able to take your concept to the next level.

There are without a doubt hundreds of brilliant diy recipies for every great commercial one out there that would never make it to production.

I'd bet my house that non mixing vapers would jump at the chance to buy mixes of them.

A large portion of great DIY recipies are released openly for folk to use so if you progressed to this level non mixers could log on to your website and select a recipie of something they want.

Finally as your platform stands the user in all honesty has absolutely no idea what's going to pop out the other end so on that basis I'd be out!

Back
Top Bottom