What's new

BP MODS LIGHTSABER COMMUNITY REVIEW

P

Phrasing

bp mod lightsaber banner (1).jpg

Greetings apes.

This is my first time leading a community review so first I want to thank @dovpo_uk and BP Mods for asking me to be a part of this.

As many of you know I am a big fan of BP mods products and, of all the new things out lately, the lightsaber is the one I've wanted the most.

So let's get started.

BP Mods have been pretty busy recently with successful reviews for the Pioneer 1.5, the Sure, the TMD Boro and so on.

One thing we haven't seen a lot of is mods.
Today we are going to be taking a look at the long-awaited Lightsaber mod.

There are two different models of this kit so far, each with two colour configurations. the S (short) and the L (long).
Listed below you'll see our testers and leads as well as the models and colour configurations we each have.

@Phrasing. GM-L GM-S SS-L
@hack400. GM-L SS-L
@Chris K. SS-L
@LDotKDot. GM-S
@gary68. SS- L
@MHL. GM-S
@Coolie27. SS-L
@SkyBlueJ. SS-S

WHATS IN THE BOX

The kit comprises of the mod, spare O rings for the airflow control ring, 2 coils, two drip tips for the pod, and a very nice braided USB type C charging cable.

Andy also kindly sent us all a matching 510 adapter.

image-2022-12-05-18_21_40-377.jpg

Coolie27
"The attention to detail and the presentation box from BP Mods are always a pleasure to open, the colour is fabulous and reminds me of opening toys, many moons ago now. It is, however, classy on the inside."

FEATURES

The chip is a simple one but it needed to be in order to give us the compact form factor.

Some of us noted it would have been nice to see a battery percentage instead of the logo meter.

That being said the screen is pretty clear and surprisingly easy to read considering its size.

What the chip lacks in modes and menus it more than makes up for in quality.
There is a bypass mode and voltage mode to accompany the standard power mode.

The menu is attained with a simple 3 clicks of the fire button and holding the up down buttons will lock your adjustment.

20221219_184042.jpg

AESTHETICS

From the moment you open the box this mod is dripping with elegance.

The wooden sleeves give it a really nice quality hand-feel and the metalwork is shiny but does not attract fingerprints.

20221219_151013.jpg

One thing all agree, regardless of model or colour, is that it looks and feels really nice in the hand.

Gary68
"Can see why the most used descriptor in many reviews is "HIGH END"

Coolie27
"I love the looks and it's every bit as gorgeous in the hand as I'd hoped for and admired from photos"

By the way it feels I think it takes some of its design elements from high end mech mods, so much so that in my first few days with it I found myself automatically looking for a button on the bottom.

THE POD

The pod is like every other pod I've used in the past couple of years only better.
The magnets holding it in place are pretty strong and there are tabs on the base to prevent it from spinning. you can comfortably pick it up by the pod although I wouldn't shake it (more on that later)

The airflow control is much like the Pioneer S too where you can have large cyclops style openings on both sides or dial it down to 0.8mm pinholes for mtl.

Filling it is easy - just take off the top beauty ring and fill using the gasket beneath which is a feature I was relieved to see, having used (and despised) bottom fill pods in the past.

20221220_151220.jpg

The capacity is another major benefit to this particular pod, 5ml is massive compared to similar pods on the market.

The coils have been an issue for most of us. The words "soggy bottom" have been thrown around quite a lot.

However, the coils and their problems are nothing new so I've decided to focus more on the pod.

If you are interested there will plenty of comments on the coils in a quotes document at the end of the review.

THE 510 ADAPTER

This for me was the biggest concern before I got my hands on one, and the best feature by far after.

Like many of our testers, I am not a big fan of stock coils or pods. What I do like is a lot of BP mods rtas.

After dutifully trying out the pod a lot of us were itching to use our own tanks which is where I think the Lightsaber comes into its own.
Some of the top picks to pair with it were:
Sure rta, Pioneer 1.5, Pioneer S, Kayfun X, and Bishop mtl.

20221219_151752.jpg

One thing you may have noticed from that little lineup is the Lightsaber works best with mtl or rdl.
The bigger battery version is usable, but as a direct lung anything less than an 18650 is impractical.

The 510 adapter is a separate purchase but an essential one if you want to get the best out of the Lightsaber.

Unlike most 510 adapters the Lightsaber utilises magnets, tabs, AND O-rings to secure the 510 plate to the mod.
The trade off is that you will have to "wiggle" it down into place to remove any trapped air and avoid a nasty wobble. If done correctly though it is rock solid.

In my own testing I found that I could pick the mod up by the atomiser and shake it with no fear of the mod going flying.

Other users like coolie27 found that if it is not down all the way there will be much less stability and even spinning.

20221219_152537.jpg

MHL
"I love the way it covers the airflow and keeps the form factor small.This is by far the best implementation of a 510 adapter I've come across.This alone would amlost sell it to me. It doesn't make the mod look s**t when you use your own tank."

BATTERY LIFE

With the two different models the battery life is reasonable if they're used as intended.

If you try to run the smaller 5.55wh at 40 Watts you 're going to have a bad time.

But with a conservative mtl coil at 13 Watts I managed to get about 3 hours of moderate to heavy use out of the smaller one.

The L model in the same configuration gave me about 5 or 6 hours which is close to what you would get from an 18650, so nothing amazing but not bad either.

Hack400
"Running the Sure in RDL at 14.5W. Perfect. Not really worried how long it lasts tbh. Should last an evening down the pub, and if you need more (than it lasts), it's the wrong device..."

Skybluej
"I love the battery on this thing... using it straight MTL still but trudging all over the city with me between charges. Lighrsaber, SXK Delro and a powerbank and I'm going places"

CONCLUSION/SCORE

I thing the biggest take away from the discussions we've had, both before the review and during, is that the Lightsabers are a good start, but we want more.

A lot of the talk before we started was if/when will there be an 18650 version?

It was teased by Bruce in his videos and we do know that it's on the way.

As a pod device it's suited mostly to the mtl crowd, it can do rdl pretty well too, but as a full open dl even the larger version doesn't have the battery power to keep up.

If we look at the Lightsabers as just a high-end pod device, then full marks - they are definitely better than any of the comparable pod mods I've used.

In pod mode it has an excellent capacity, nice looks and decent(ish) battery life.

That's not to say it doesn't have its issues, the leaking in particular is something that needs to be addressed.

But if you take into account the versatility that you get from using the 510 adapter, add to that the customisation you get from interchangeable sleeves, and other high-end parts then the Lightsaber is not just targeting the new vapers and pod market.

Those elements of vaping are usually sought after by us the "hobbyists" or "enthusiasts" and we are a more discerning bunch.
We prefer using our own batteries and we really want the sleeves to be more available.
I would like to see, in future versions, a fixed 510 for those of us that aren't into pods but I am aware that may never happen.

Aside from that I think I speak for everyone when I say that the Lightsaber is a good all-round mod that will remain in my rotation for a long time.

If we take a look at the scores it reflects how the Lightsaber is really good and, with a few tweaks, could be great:

Phrasing 9.8
Hack400 8.4
Chris k 9.1
LDotKDot 9.2
Gary68 9.1
SkyBlueJ 8.3
MHL 9.2
Coolie27 8.5

Average 8.95

I'd like to thank everyone for taking part, and a special thanks to @hack400 and @dovpo_uk for all your help.

see below for scorecards, pictures and quotes.

Attachments

• LIGHTSABER - SCORECARDS.pdf
    154.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done, that’s really well written.

I got on with the lightsaber, feels quite high end and more premium than similar devices from other companies.

Quotes file was apparently too large so....

Review Quotes Lightsaber

gary68
Oh and can see why the "most used desciptor" in many reviews is "HIGH END "

It's bloody lovely in the hand and feels really tactile

gary68
Real world results ....5ml juice @27.5 watts 0.3 coil used approximately 60% of battery (L model

gary68
TBF if they make a satin black lightsabre I'll be on it like a tramp on chips
1.jpg

gary68
First impressions

If the "L" is this compact the "S" must be miniscule
Feels great in the hand .
Build quality is excellent
0.3 coils give great flavour and vapour production (but do suffer the common soggy bottom)
Battery life ok / not fantastic
Will improve that with some higher ohm coils in the SURE .when royal mail pull it's finger out of its Arse

Coolie27
I really like it, shared some thoughts earlier in the thread. Battery life not great with the 0.3 coils. I’ve got the 510 Adaptor on and the Precision. Keeping it to the BP mods family of kit.

Hack400
Running the Sure in RDL at 14.5W. Perfect. Not really worried how long it lasts tbh. Should last an evening down the pub, and if you need more (than it lasts), it's the wrong device...

SkyBlueJ
So happy to have received the SS small version... exactly what I was looking for in my arsenal. I'm out the house all but a couple of hours 6 days a week... so a pocket friendly MTL device that can be plugged in anywhere, even a powerbank is awesome.

Not knowing 100% what to expect i was a bit apprehensive about getting a low ohm coil with the kit but to my happiness there was two 0.8ohm coils in the box and means using the pod as an afterthought is no longer a problem. Its exactly what I would have picked out myself. I like how the LED screen appears slightly set deeper than the surface if that makes any sense.

The wood sleeve is awesome and hints at the prospect of future custom sleeves. Very cool. Love having two drip tips provided as I always go for a longer, slimer one.

Atheistics are very nice on first impressions and the provided coils and airflow options mean that for me this has become a pod kit to try. Not just a nice pocket friendly mod with a 510 adapter.

SkyBlueJ
No I have not just been priming a coil with Supergood No2 salt whilst in the bath that would be the actions of a mad man!

MHL
I received the short gunmetal version. I've had it for 36 hours now and it's been in constant use at home. I took it into the office today and used it as a stealth vape.

First thoughts:

Things I really love

• It looks lovely. Really really nice. 10/10. Well maybe 9.5. My only wish would be to remove the chunky knurling from the pod top and base. I understand why they're there for practical purposes, but I'd prefer the look without it.

• The small form factor - it's almost a small as my merlin nano / drizzle setup, and tbh it looks a lot nicer. It charges quickly, so the 1500 battery (which is respectable for a mod of that size) isn't too much of an issue.

• The dim screen, and how it is set back. I know Todd didn't like it in his review, but I feel the opposite. I'm sick of bright LED screens. The screen to me is classy, if a little small for my blind gog eyes. I don't have my gogs on now, so if you see some weird spelling, that's why. T

• The 510 adapter - I love the way it covers the airflow and keeps the form factor small.This is by far the best implementation of a 510 adapter Iv'e come across.This alone would amlost sell it to me. It doesn't make the mod look shit when you use your own tank.

Gripes

• It could have had an even tighter airflow, I think. It's fine as it is, pretty tight. If there had been a tighter airflow setting I would def have tried it, though I might not have stuck with it.

• The condensation under the pod. Every single time I remove the pod it's there and needs a wipe. Even if just a bit.

• I suppose the pod (and the 510 adapter when fitted) could be a little firmer and flusher. It wobbles a bit, Not enough to hamper use, but if it were frimer it would definitely promote the perception of quality.

• As mentioned I'd rather see the knurling removed

Coolie27
5 full days with it and my initial thoughts and ramblings are below.

I love the looks and it is every bit as gorgeous in the hand as I’d hoped for and admired from the photos I had seen on here and social media.

I tend to agree with a lot of what @MHL has already written.
I have had a good go with the POD and through my own daftness had used 50-50 juice with the first mesh coil 0.3, it didn’t last too long so I’m unsure if it was down to the above. I did do all the recommended steps, soaking the coil and starting low. I started again with the PRO coil and some 70/30 juice. The flavour is good, however with MTL being more my thing. I’m mainly using the mod and Adaptor with various MTL tanks. I seem to get a full days battery out of the Mod when using it with a tank.

It’s definitely going to be fully in my rotation and when the hammered sleeve comes out I hope to get one. At some point I’ll get some MTL coils and will prob try the 0.8. I’ve been admiring the Sure tank on everyone else’s LightSaber, so it’s on my Christmas list. I think my favourite tank on it so far looks wise is the Steam Crave classic MTL. It has the same style as the airflow ring on the LightSaber. I do keep going to the front to fire it. Too many times, but I love the LightSaber.

gary68
Pro's

Build quality is superb
Nice uncluttered menu
Looks and feels awesome in the hand and is really ergonomic
Pod is great has a lovely big capacity and cross compatibility of coils is excellent
Optional extras of different size tanks is great
Brilliant 510 adapter making it possible to use a wide range of tanks /rta's/rda's of different diameters with changeable beauty washers/rings
Options to come with Stabwood /Juma/hammered sleeves are eagerly awaited

My cons list is tiny

Menu buttons are a bit small for my big thumbs
Little bit bigger battery capacity would be nice

It is awesome with the sure in rdl with a higher ohm coil giving. Much greater battery life

Summary
It's a bloody great mod /podmod .that being totally honest gets picked up much more often than any other setups that are standing right next to it.

Coolie27
Some more ramblings from an English woman exiled in North Wales.

The attention to detail and the presentation box from BP Mods are always a pleasure to open, the colour is fabulous and reminds me of opening toys, many moons ago now. It is, however, classy on the inside.

The features are intuitive and easy to use with nothing too difficult to get it going, with no real reason to read the manual for the mod alone. I love its form and let’s be honest it’s a ‘tube’. There aren’t many unregulated ones. I’ve had many pod mods along with Adaptors, Innokin Sceptre, and Voopoo, this knocks them all into a cocked hat. I can even read the screen without my readers on.

I am, however, in my happy place with it as a mod with the 510 adaptor. For completeness and to give the Pod a proper runout, I should test a MTL coil as I am predominately a MTL vaper. I will get some of the 0.8’s when I can find them in stock.

The whole package is classy and looks high-end to me. The beauty ring on the 510 Adaptor matches with a lot of my tanks and I still can’t decide which is my favourite atop of the mod. I will definitely be getting the hammered sleeve when it comes out.

I’ve only managed to knock it over once, my own fault I think. I do always remove the pod/tank when charging and lay it on its side. Charging is super fast and I think In well under an hour from a 3A wall plug.

If I lost or broke it, would I buy another? abso-bloody-lutely. I might still buy one. I’ve got my eye on the Labs tank, I really, really like BP Mods stuff if you haven't already worked that out

Coolie27
It takes some getting used to, the fire button at the back. I think it’s the only mod I have that isn’t a front fire. I have small hands so it’s not an issue how small the adjustment buttons are. I haven’t worked out how to lock it. I do wish it had a puff counter though, I chop and change tanks all the time, I don’t think I’ve gotten a full day out of it. Overall I like it and can’t stop admiring it.

gary68
Found the fire button is well placed but the +- too close together.so end up going up or down when trying to lock wattage

SkyBlueJ
Pros;

Ergonomics, absolutely love the shape I've not had too many accidents knocking it over. It looks and feels much more high end than its price tag suggests.

I'm generally a simple wattage vaper and it couldnt be simpler to operate... am I missing a stealth mode?

Battery easily lasts a day in MTL mode. Really enjoy the 0.8ohm coils provided with It the flavour is really good and can keep up easily with chain vaping.

Cons;

Even with the AF control fully closed off the MTL vape while using the pod is not tight enough for me. I would expect and hope for it to be nearly impossible to draw air through with everything closed off.

Whilst I don't get much wobble in pod mode, I have to be really careful with the Kayfun X adjusting the juice flow control or the whole 520 adaptor wobbles. Condenstation build up in pod mode but this probably isn't helped at all with me having all the airflow closed off.

As I hoped this is a really great MTL mod with the 510 kit and although I really don't like pods it works really well in this mode too

MHL
It's also very comfortable to hold, that index finger just wraps nicely around the slimmer section.

A bigger fire button might be nice. I sometimes have to double check I'm pressing the correct side.

Just coming back and adding thoughts as I think of them now....

Chris k
I’m either a genius or an idiot, not sure yet but this actually works!! (After adjusting 510 pin)

*shows the lightsaber with the 510 adapter tomahawk squonk attachment and across samdwich rda*

Worryingly… I really like it! It’s a tube squonk! I’m going to use this for a while

Good grief....the thing looks a fkin riot.... mismatched shapes n colours everywhere

It’s been a privilege to be selected and therefore involved in the testing. We’ve also had a giggle along the way. Thanks to my fellow testers and of course to @dovpo_andy for providing the kit and extra 510 Adaptor and our very own Master of ceremonies @Phrasing. Right I need a lie down in a dark room(not that type)

Huge Thanks to all the testers these events are hugely challenging and chats can become very busy and a little heated as well as humorous but you all stepped up and produced some great results.

And big thanks to @Phrasing for offering to Lead the event and write up. Again it takes a lot of free time negotiating all the comments slapping the testers into submission but the results and review is well written and by far the visually nicest we have had so far.

I think @hack400 the gauntlet has truly be thrown for the Samwich event.

I just think it looks silly. Half a truncheon, or the broken handle from a garden fork. And it leaks? :)

I never really paid much attention when i saw pics of them, as tube mods aren't my thing. I assumed the big one would take a 21700, and the smaller one an 18650. I'm really surprised that they have internal batteries, as i thought they were mods. They are massive for a pod, and i wouldn't fancy sticking one of them in a shirt pocket on a night out. Sorry, just my honest opinion.

Back
Top Bottom