What's new

Bypass mode safety

Blazing Atoms

Postman
Hi guys, I have the geekvape T200 which I use in wattage mode. I would like to try bypass mode to really bring my drv3 rda to life. I read it emulates a mech mod but still uses safety features.

Do I still need to apply ohms law though?

Using wotofo dual 26GAx2+36GA 0.28ohm @60w in wattage mode.

Many thanks.

usually it just applies the battery voltage to the coil. but the safety features of a regulated mod are still there. so you’ll want to use ohm’s law to work out how much power the coil gets.

not sure how it would bring your rda to life though, it will just be the same except you’ll have no control over the power other than the coil you put in it and it will gradually reduce as the battery life decreases.

at 0.28 you'll get around 63w on a full (4.2v) battery, so .... that's gonna be about the same until the battery voltage drops, then it will feel deader not more 'alive'

at 0.14 you'll have double that, so around 126w which probably isn't a good idea.

at 0.28 you'll get around 63w on a full (4.2v) battery, so .... that's gonna be about the same until the battery voltage drops, then it will feel deader not more 'alive'

at 0.14 you'll have double that, so around 126w which probably isn't a good idea.

ah do they go above the max watts of the chip in bypass mode? i didn’t think so but obvs do t know as it’s not something i would ever be trying.

I use dual 26 core fused claptons frequently and, generally find dual 5 wrap coils work out at around 0.15 Ohms, so 0.14 for a dual build is far more likely than 0.28.

I'll use this build quite happily on a single 21700 tube mech with a fully charged battery and a 35 Amp Samsung 30T - but, as @Simon G pointed out, using Ohms Law you'll potentially be getting 126W which may be a bit much.

With tube mechs, even with a fully charged battery only 3.7 Volts will actually get to the atomiser because of battery sag and voltage drop - so in reality you'll be getting around 90 Watts on a GOOD, CLEAN, WELL MAINTAINED mech mod. If you are using a dual coil RDA with enough airflow this is quite manageable, but obviously will be considerably livelier and hotter than your regular vape at 60 watts, but opening the airflow up, if you can, helps with the potential increased heat.

The potential fly in the ointment with bypass mode is it may really send 4.2 Volts to the coils instead of the 3.7V of a good single 21700 mech. If it does then you'll be looking at 126 Watts instead of the 92 ish of a good 4.2V single 21700 mech.

Personally I would fit the RDA to the mod, make sure the cotton is freshly juiced, don't stick the drip tip in your gob - just look at the screen to see what voltage the mod claims to be sending to the atomiser as you press the fire button. Go by the sound lol. If it sounds like a volcano erupting then maybe not, if it seems lively but not particularly life threatening. make sure there is plenty of airflow open first, give it a very quick - half second hit. A hot one of very short duration will quickly let you know if you need to build a little higher or not

Personally, I've used the DR V3 with a 0.14 dual coil quad 28 fused clapton build on a dual 18650 Geekvape Mech Pro which is a 4.2V parallel 4.2V mech and found it fairly warm, but not too hot - it seemed around 100 Watts ish, rather than the 90 ish from a single 21700 tube mech.

I'd give it a go - with the DR make sure you initially try it with the more open airflow rather than the honeycomb just in case it is a bit toasty.

I've just tried the bypass of the Vaporesso Polar Mod with a dual 4x28/38 fused clapton build, showing 0.13 resistance. The screen showed it was sending 4 Volts to the coils - theoretically 113 Watts. It was OK, a bit on the toasty side and I wasn't tempted to take long hits but with fully opened airflow not bad. To be honest I'd have been happier with a 0.14 or 0.15 build though lol..

ah do they go above the max watts of the chip in bypass mode? i didn’t think so but obvs do t know as it’s not something i would ever be trying.

No idea mate, I just read "T200" and presumed it was 200w... but if not, then no I don't think so.

Not with a dual battery mod as it isn't possible. The limit on what resistances it will allow to be fired keeps it in the 'safe' zone. If you take the example of the Vaporesso Polar mod the lowest resistance it will fire is 0.10, as it sends 4.0 Volts max the highest possible voltage you can vape at is 160 Watts. a 160 Watt vape at 4 Volts will be 40 Amps, but as board will be being supplied with anything from 8.4 to 6.2 ish volts as the batteries are in series the real amp draw will be well under half of this. It is possible to screw up if you use the wrong batteries as no board can protect you from your own stupidity but if you use genuine batteries rated 20 Amps or higher you'll be fine even if you are the type of nut case that enjoys 0.10 ohm builds on mechs as the Amp draw in series and parallel is shared. if you believe the 'best' batteries are the highest mah capacity and try using something like 10 Amp 3,500mah 18650s that are only good for MTL or trustfires/ebay or Amazon specials you could get into trouble but if you use suitable genuine high Amp batteries the worst that is likely to happen is the vape will be too hot for you.

Theoretically a single 18650 mod could be conned into sending more to the atomiser, but in practice it doesn't seem to happe. Out of curiosity I've just donned an oven glove and gone out into my back yard with my old Tarot mini an old Goon clone with a 0.13 build which is pushing it for a single 18650 IMO and as I don't give a shite about the old mod or atty decided to give it a go. I tried with vtc5a at about 4 Volts charge - the screen showed it was sending under 3 volts to the RDA lol - basically a bit above 70 Watts. I tried again with a VTC6a with a similar initial 4.0 Volts - it sent slightly less voltage to the tank than the VTC5A. Finally I tried a very old, very tired Sammy 25R and the screen just flashed the low battery warning even though the battery had plenty of charge.

The VTC5A is a genuine 25 Amp battery, the VTC6A generally regarded as a 20 amp battery that can be run at 25 Amps, and the Samsung 25R was theoretically a 20 Amp battery but very old and well past its best through use - if things were going to go pear shaped it would probably be with the 25R that I only use for MTL at low Amps, but the reality was the immediate voltage drop of the batteries just triggers the battery low cut off. The voltage shown on the screen meant the VTC5A and VTC6A weren't pushed beyond their Amp limit - I don't have any builds lower than 0.13 as I don't vape super low ohms so I couldn't push the batteries any harder. If I'd tried with a lower ohm build I suspect the increased Voltage drop because of the higher Amp draw would just trigger the low battery warning and the mod would refuse to fire.

In theory you would be able to push a single 18650 battery way beyond its limits in by-pass mode, but in practice it seems the mod just won't let you doesn't let you - my using a very old battery with an unsuitable amp rating was deliberately dumb but achieved nothing as the mod just wasn't having any of it.

Not really conclusive I know, but by-pass isn't really by-pass as the chipset is still applying the inbuilt safeties as you vape in faux mech mode. I think the only way I could have really gone over the 80 Watts max is if I had some genuine 18650s with a 30 Amp CDR but I don't.
I still believe you COULD screw up if you habitually used the wrong, low amp batteries in by-pass mode but I couldn't do it.

I must try harder - maybe with TWO oven gloves.

I use dual 26 core fused claptons frequently and, generally find dual 5 wrap coils work out at around 0.15 Ohms, so 0.14 for a dual build is far more likely than 0.28.

I'll use this build quite happily on a single 21700 tube mech with a fully charged battery and a 35 Amp Samsung 30T - but, as @Simon G pointed out, using Ohms Law you'll potentially be getting 126W which may be a bit much.

With tube mechs, even with a fully charged battery only 3.7 Volts will actually get to the atomiser because of battery sag and voltage drop - so in reality you'll be getting around 90 Watts on a GOOD, CLEAN, WELL MAINTAINED mech mod. If you are using a dual coil RDA with enough airflow this is quite manageable, but obviously will be considerably livelier and hotter than your regular vape at 60 watts, but opening the airflow up, if you can, helps with the potential increased heat.

The potential fly in the ointment with bypass mode is it may really send 4.2 Volts to the coils instead of the 3.7V of a good single 21700 mech. If it does then you'll be looking at 126 Watts instead of the 92 ish of a good 4.2V single 21700 mech.

Personally I would fit the RDA to the mod, make sure the cotton is freshly juiced, don't stick the drip tip in your gob - just look at the screen to see what voltage the mod claims to be sending to the atomiser as you press the fire button. Go by the sound lol. If it sounds like a volcano erupting then maybe not, if it seems lively but not particularly life threatening. make sure there is plenty of airflow open first, give it a very quick - half second hit. A hot one of very short duration will quickly let you know if you need to build a little higher or not

Personally, I've used the DR V3 with a 0.14 dual coil quad 28 fused clapton build on a dual 18650 Geekvape Mech Pro which is a 4.2V parallel 4.2V mech and found it fairly warm, but not too hot - it seemed around 100 Watts ish, rather than the 90 ish from a single 21700 tube mech.

I'd give it a go - with the DR make sure you initially try it with the more open airflow rather than the honeycomb just in case it is a bit toasty.

I've just tried the bypass of the Vaporesso Polar Mod with a dual 4x28/38 fused clapton build, showing 0.13 resistance. The screen showed it was sending 4 Volts to the coils - theoretically 113 Watts. It was OK, a bit on the toasty side and I wasn't tempted to take long hits but with fully opened airflow not bad. To be honest I'd have been happier with a 0.14 or 0.15 build though lol..
Sorry was a dual build @0.13 give or take.

Back
Top Bottom