What's new

Children and vaping

i had my first cig in the playground at the age of 11 and cigs were everywhere. you could go in a shop in uniform and buy a single cig for 2p and get a swan match with it. that was over 40 years ago.
at that age you wasnt one of the gang unless you joined in and whatever you was told was not good for you you done more.
i started on 20 a day at the age of 16 when i started work and could afford them.

fast forward 40 years and i know which one i would rather see a kid using and its not a cigarette.
it took me 37 years to get off the nasty things that killed my dad.
so its a fine line really. ban and confiscate them from schools and all they will do is start smoking instead.

Can I give you all a school head teachers' point of view (ex-teacher here). If the head hadn't done this her head would have been on the chopping block. OFSTED would have descended like the avenging angels of death.
I get where you're all coming from, with or without nic makes no odds in the situation.
I'm not trying to wind anybody up just give you a school point of view.

i think we all totally understand your side being a school employee and id agree the right thing was done but we all know where it will lead to and the next thing they will be doing is smoking.
do kids get expelled for smoking as in my day it was 30 minutes detention and that was it.

I feel that I must comment on this one, having read the posts.

I read the same article by some other media, but can't remember who, or find it again. It was the same school, and the article clearly stated that the children where not actually using, but found to be in possession of some form of ecig,
Having said that, I have just been given the link, it was in the mirror.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/primary-school-kids-threatened-exclusion-9346424

Unfortunately the whole school situation would fry your brain trying to understand. It is nothing like it was when most of us were at school. The vapes with a chance of understanding are probably those in their early 20"s, or other teachers.
It's why I'm not a teacher anymore, it just about broke me, and took me 3 yrs to recover!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

it was bad enough in my day back in the 70's and seeing the press lately especially the two coppers that tried to intervene in a girl fight and being jumped by upto 20 kids in uniform was discusting to see.

This is the reason i treat vaping around children the same as smoking around children.
Just dont do it

OK so just started vaping in Nov after my son talking me into it found out he had a vape for about 6 months or so ! So when he first told me he vaped I was a bit concernd as knew not a lot about it but like Mr DJ I also smoked @ school as 1 CIG 1match 10p also mum nan brother all smoked so used to aqquire from them as well I started smoking & 7 ish 35 years on after my son getting me on the vape I'm now on 8mg ofnic in less than 3 months now I was bothers that my son was vaping to begin with but also pleased he was close enough to me to tell me so I looked quite into the dangers of vaping to which I did not find very many ( OK we don't know long term as yet ) but I know that it is a lot healthier than smoking ( I feel healthier I am healthier smell & taste not back fully yet but I look forwards to those to come back to me ) yes I would prefer it if my son did not vape but people will do what people want to do & I would much rather he be vaping than smoking my clothes no longer smell of smoke I have no stained fingers I spent about 40hrs checking the real truth on what is known about vaping during that time I also found that the dreaded carcinogenic s are in nearly every thing we eat and drink ( except brown rice & pasta maybe a few other things ) I also learnt that it has been proven that nicotine (not the cigarette smoke kind ) helps with various mental health issues as well as Alzheimer's so back to the question kids & vaping I would prefer if my son & others didn't but I know over the choice of vaping & the oily rags I feel better he's on a vape & dare say he will get bored of it @ some point

Be interesting to see what comes out in the ASH surveys regarding underage vapers.

If there's a sharp increase in the number of kids vaping, the govt could quite easily introduce extra 'sin' tax to increase the cost to the point where it's largely unaffordable for kids.

And I still reckon the means to so so are already in place, buried in amendments to the children & families act 2014.

This kind of incident is bad news for vaping and vapers.
Whilst nicotine might be no more harmful than caffeine to adults, it's a stretch to state that vaping is no more harmful to a child than having a cup of coffee.

Putting that to one side, the bigger issues here are the legality of U18s buying or having vapes and the acceptable behaviour of children in schools. Haven't we got enough on our plates without piling more on by adopting the position of supporting underage vaping? I think the school is absolutely right to exclude pupils for this.

Back
Top Bottom