What's new

Covid-19: 'Major incident' declared by London Mayor Sadiq Khan

BigCloud

Veteran
The spread of Covid in London is "out of control" according to Sadiq Khan, who has declared a "major incident".

The coronavirus infection rate in London has exceeded 1,000 per 100,000 people, based on the latest figures from Public Health England.

However, the Office for National Statistics recently estimated as many as one in 30 Londoners has coronavirus.

Mr Khan told BBC political reporter Karl Mercer that the figure is as high as one in 20 in some parts of London.

Major incidents have previously been called for the Grenfell Tower fire in June 2017 and the terror attacks at Westminster Bridge and London Bridge.

A major incident is any emergency that requires the implementation of special arrangements by one or all of the emergency services, the NHS or the local authority.

It means the emergency services and hospitals cannot guarantee their normal level of response.

'My heart is broken'
Currently, there are more than 7,000 people in hospital with Covid-19, the mayor said.

This is a 35% increase compared to last April's peak of the pandemic, he added.

Dr Samantha Batt-Rawden, a senior intensive care registrar at Royal London Hospital, tweeted: "We tried. We really tried. NHS staff pleaded with people that Christmas is not worth it. Now one in 30 people in London have Covid and ICUs are overwhelmed. My heart is broken."

_116401354_coronavirus_cases_ldn_chart_7_jan-nc.png

An analysis of Public Health England figures show in the week to 3 January, the number of cases rose across all of the London's boroughs compared with the previous week, with 17 individually recording more than 1,000 cases per 100,000 people.

Testing increased in parts of the city after a drop over the Christmas period but positivity was high among people taking lab-based tests - suggesting more testing is needed to find undiagnosed cases in the community.

In the past week, many parts of the capital saw a rise in deaths where a person had tested positive for coronavirus in the previous 28 days - with some areas recording more than double the number of deaths compared with the previous week.

_116401358_cases_rate_regions8jan-nc.png

However, reporting over the Christmas period may have affected this.

Out of the 18 acute hospital trusts in London providing figures to the government, all of them recorded having more beds being filled by coronavirus patients than in the previous week.

Barts NHS Health, one of London's largest trusts, saw a 30% increase in coronavirus patients between 29 December and 5 January, to 830.

_116391334_065097653.jpg
IMAGE COPYRIGHTREUTERS
image captionThe London Ambulance Service is now taking up to 8,000 emergency calls a day, the mayor says
The mayor of London's announcement comes after the counties of Sussex and Surrey declared similar major incidents on Thursday.

He said the London Ambulance Service was currently taking up to 8,000 emergency calls a day, compared to 5,500 on a typical busy day.

The London Fire Brigade said more than 100 firefighters had been drafted in to drive ambulances to help cope with the demand.

_105914180_line976-nc.png

_116340704_dominiccasciani21_tr-nc.png

Every frontline agency involved in protecting the public has a legal duty to prepare for emergencies by devising and testing major incident plans.

These public bodies declare a major incident when the situation they're confronting is so big or terrible that it's not only likely to cause serious harm, but it will also compromise their ability to respond effectively.

In general terms, that means public bodies can legally stop delivering some everyday services, so that their personnel, attention and resources can be diverted to the emergency confronting them.

At other times, the plans will lead to the military sending soldiers to aid the civilian effort, as we have seen already during the pandemic.

Previous major incidents include the Grenfell Tower disaster in London, the Salisbury Novichok poisonings and the 2017 terrorism attacks.

_105914180_line976-nc.png

London's regional director for Public Health England Kevin Fenton said the current wave of coronavirus was "the biggest threat" the capital has faced in this pandemic to date.

Prof Fenton urged Londoners to "cut contacts" and "reduce movements".

_116401362_optimised-hospital_cases_london_6jan-nc.png

He added: "The emergence of the new variant means we are setting record case rates at almost double the national average, with at least one in 30 people now thought to be carrying the virus.

"We know this will sadly lead to large numbers of deaths, so strong and immediate action is needed."

media captionWhat does it mean if the NHS is overwhelmed?
Mr Khan is warning that London is "at crisis point".

"If we do not take immediate action now, our NHS could be overwhelmed and more people will die," he said.

"Londoners continue to make huge sacrifices and I am today imploring them to please stay at home unless it is absolutely necessary for you to leave. Stay at home to protect yourself, your family, friends and other Londoners and to protect our NHS."

He said he had written to Prime Minister Boris Johnson asking for more financial support for Londoners who need to self-isolate and are unable to work, and for daily vaccination data.

Mr Khan also called for the closure of places of worship and for face masks to be worn routinely outside the home, including in crowded places and supermarket queues, in a bid to curb case numbers.

Came home last night late and the roads were like any normal night compared to 5 days in on the first lockdown

it will soon be one in 10 then 1 in 5 people

I think Boris is hopping the curve will flatten off I’m hoping it does every care home, domiciliary service, small a and e and cottage hospital is shut down in this area for 30 miles

Roads are a lot quieter up my way
Not as quiet as first Pandemic
But definitely quieter
Feel sorry for all down there
Looks like we are heading for herd immunity :(

Looks like we are heading for herd immunity :(

Yes, we are but because of vaccinations and not because the virus is running rampant. Herd immunity via vaccination is the goal. Would need around 40+ million people to be infected before herd immunity was a thing via the virus running rampant. Haven't even hit 4 million yet.

Last edited:
likewise, much quieter here as well.
Roads are a lot quieter up my way
Not as quiet as first Pandemic

Same here.

We have 6 pairs of two newly appointed covid wardens cruising the town in their vehicles, questioning mainly pedestrians, also targeting 4 or 5 hot spots. According to a mate, who was stopped and questioned, 2 minutes from his home, they were rather forceful. He was told: first strike; questioned and sent on your way. 2nd strike; name and address please. 3rd strike; police are called and you will be arrested, "We do not want to see you out again today Sir".

Same here.

We have 6 pairs of two newly appointed covid wardens cruising the town in their vehicles, questioning mainly pedestrians, also targeting 4 or 5 hot spots. According to a mate, who was stopped and questioned, 2 minutes from his home, they were rather forceful. He was told: first strike; questioned and sent on your way. 2nd strike; name and address please. 3rd strike; police are called and you will be arrested, "We do not want to see you out again today Sir".

that seems a bit excessive. maybe the rules are different in Scotland, we can go out for essential reasons that include exercise. there’s not a limit on the number of times you can go out.

Something very CarterUSM about this.

"They put me in the spot light tied me to the stage
The only thing I got right was to lie about my age
I've been fitted up for visiting illegal shops
By a pair of self-appointed council COVID cops"

that seems a bit excessive. maybe the rules are different in Scotland, we can go out for essential reasons that include exercise. there’s not a limit on the number of times you can go out.

Same here really, it's all about interpretation ( of the statutory instruments), legislation.gov.uk is not exactly easy to work with, some preexisting legislation has been revoked and others amended. Media interpretation and even Government summaries of the legislation leads many people and probably the police and other authorities, guessing at things, it's too subjective and not objective, does my brain in.

Back
Top Bottom