What's new

e-cigarette explodes into fireball

K

KulrMeStoopid

He said: ‘I put the e-cigarette on charge in my iPad charger, which I have done countless times before. The battery was from Totally Wicked E Liquid.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...igarette-explodes-fireball.html#ixzz2yIEt57ot
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rred-dress-e-cigarette-explodes-fireball.html

You put it on an iPad charger...I don't think I have ever read any instructions that said, "safe to use with iPad charger"

The original Apple charger has an output limited to 2.1 A at 5.1 V or 10 watts....seriously...DO NOT charge your ecigs with these.

A standard USB charger puts out 4.2v and the higher rated Apple charger WILL blow up your batteries. Theres a reason ecigs come with SPECIFIC chargers for them!

When we will see the day that there is some very POSITIVE news in the press about E-Cigs?

The video is quite impressive though and shows just why all li-on batteries should be treated with respect

Last edited:
She's looking for a Darwin award.....

Sorry,but it was a male idiot that was charging the battery with his iPad charger.I can assume then,he'd be happy to plug his iPad into a fucking car battery charger?

He also is quoted saying he regularly charges the battery unattended,or overnight & on the iPad charger too.Therefore,I will expect to see a media report soon saying "Bar-Man killed by e-cig causing fire" As is so often said,you simply cannot ban stupid.

It's one of those things where people do it once for whatever reason, and then assume it will be safe to do it everytime. At least the gentleman in question wont be giving up on the e-cigs (and of course, no one was fatally injured or anything)!

Whatever your thoughts about TW not a great advert for them either !! not even their fault just the idiot factor...... but of course that will be swept under the carpet as always ....... Nanny state no natural selection anymore :)

The merry go round returns. If i were him i'd be careful. He put members of the public at risk from his stupidity & wants to be known ! Surely he's liable.

Shame he didn't blow himself up. One less idiot in the world can't be a bad thing.

All usb chargers output same voltage 5.0v the difference with a iPad charger and usb 1.0 2.0 3.0 are the current output.
As said an iPad outputs 2.1amps, usb 1.0, 2.0 is 0.5amps, usb 3.0 is 0.9amps.
There are four wires, d+ d- data which are the inner two and 5v are the outer two.
So if you plug a 900ma device into an iPad charger it will charge much quicker.
What causes the problem is the battery can't handle the amperage input and overloads it.
Lipo batteries are very very very dangerous things and all have ratings in C of what rate of charge they can handle.
Example is i fly rc planes and if the battery is 5C it can handle a charge rate of 5x the output. so if its 500mah it can be charged safely at 2.5amps. so five times as quick as 500mah charge rate.
So if in doubt never exceed the mah rating of the battery.
My 18650 is 2000mah with no C rating on it so can only be charged at 2amps so is safe on an iPad charger. the 100ma difference is less than 10% so its should be ok. as you have a small tolerance. BUT THATS MY CHOICE NOT YOURS!

Lipos should only be charged whilst supervised and on a flame proof surface. i.e. don't charge whilst a sleep or when going out.

Hope that clears it up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom