What's new

e-cigarette explodes into fireball

There's to many possibilities with that one.
As well as what we know ipad charger, be honest.
Was the charger faulty, possible.
Was the battery faulty, is now.
Position.
Do my eyes deceive me, or there a load of optics directly above the area. And since when did a busy bar ever stay dry.
So wrong, even with a proper e-cig charger.

Didn't look at the daily fail article but the bbc article actually had some balanced useful advice from a fire bod. Was nice to see for a change, I was expecting the usual ecig hysteria. Maybe he was a secret vaper :D

To be fair to the bloke, lots of knock off evod batteries only come with the usb lead with no info of what you can and can't plug it into. They only give the generic safety info about not chargig unattended etcetc, no idea if the totally wicked stuff comes with a 3pin charger but if its just a battery and usb lead, I can see why he would assume any usb charger was fine

Sent from my SM-T210 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

I think egos are mostly lithium ion, MVP is a lipo. Hopefully someone with more of a clue can confirm.

I think egos are mostly lithium ion, MVP is a lipo. Hopefully someone with more of a clue can confirm.

They are basically the same chemistry , except that Li-po uses a polymer separator between the half cell and Li-ion uses a gel.
Li-ion is cheaper to produce.

Also been looking at chargers for E-cigs and battery chargers for removable batteries and most are only suitable for usb 1.0,2.0 use 500ma input.
So only use your usb 1.0,2.0 port on your computer or dedicated charger.
If in doubt it normally says input voltage and current on the bottom.

All usb chargers output same voltage 5.0v the difference with a iPad charger and usb 1.0 2.0 3.0 are the current output.
As said an iPad outputs 2.1amps, usb 1.0, 2.0 is 0.5amps, usb 3.0 is 0.9amps.
There are four wires, d+ d- data which are the inner two and 5v are the outer two.
So if you plug a 900ma device into an iPad charger it will charge much quicker.
What causes the problem is the battery can't handle the amperage input and overloads it.
Lipo batteries are very very very dangerous things and all have ratings in C of what rate of charge they can handle.
Example is i fly rc planes and if the battery is 5C it can handle a charge rate of 5x the output. so if its 500mah it can be charged safely at 2.5amps. so five times as quick as 500mah charge rate.
So if in doubt never exceed the mah rating of the battery.
My 18650 is 2000mah with no C rating on it so can only be charged at 2amps so is safe on an iPad charger. the 100ma difference is less than 10% so its should be ok. as you have a small tolerance. BUT THATS MY CHOICE NOT YOURS!

Lipos should only be charged whilst supervised and on a flame proof surface. i.e. don't charge whilst a sleep or when going out.

Hope that clears it up.

i've got to disagree with you here dude. the amperage of the usb adapter used doesn't matter one bit. the full amperage of the usb adapter isn't forced onto the charger, the correct amperage is drawn as needed by the charger. apple and other reputable brand usb adapters are good quality and well protected bits of kit, people shouldn't be discouraged from using them.

i've also got to disagree with you on the C rating of a lipo/lion battery. it has nothing to do with charging, it's a discharge rating. your 500mah battery is rated 5c as it will be capable of sustaining a draw of 2.5amps either continually or in bursts (most batteries in rc models come with a C rating for each). if you're charging a battery at 5x it's capacity then that is asking for trouble and it's a good job you're charging them on a flameproof surface. a general rule of thumb for charging batteries without a given maximum charge rate is the 1'C rule, meaning 1xcapacity. i would personally not charge your 500mah battery at anything over 0.5 amps.

like i said in the other thread about this incident the usb adapter can be ruled out of the whole equation unless it was faulty, and then the amperage of it is still irrelevant. this was caused by either a faulty/damaged charger or faulty/damaged battery.

people should not be told not to use the usb adapters that come with mobile phones, tablets and the like. they are some of the highest quality adapters available with fuses and protection meant for an expensive piece of kit. far superior to the cheap ones that are bundled with e cigs.

Wayne

+1, as far as I know, the amperage rating of a charger is how much it CAN supply, not how much it DOES supply. If an ego charger draws 500ma, it will only draw 500ma be it from an ego charger or a 2a ipad charger, the danger is plugging something rated at drawing 2a into a charger thats not rated to supply 2a not plugging something that draws 500ma into a charger capable of supplying 2a

Sent from my SM-T210 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Ok test this then.

Get an 18350 cell. But it in a charger rated at 2a. The cell will only take 800mah right?

Your assuming the "usb charger" regulates the current, what if it only steps down the voltage?

this is a big deal because it`s an ecig battery LOL
what about the countless apple batteries and chargers that fail and injure people???
also as someone else already pointed out,not exactly the best place to be charging batteries with all the spills and what not.
i know lets go and charge my batts in the bathroom :imstupid
the bottom line is all batteries are dangerous if misused or mistreated and should never be left unattended.

Back
Top Bottom