What's new

e-cigarette explodes into fireball

A lot of people keep saying about batteries being fed 2a when they only require 500ma like Greenoneten did a few posts ago, people seem too not understand that chargers do not feed the current thats printed on the sticker, it simply means thats the max current the charger CAN supply, a 2a charger will not force 2a into a 500ma device, watching these people get all high and mighty about it when they are fundamentally wrong makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

And most people will tell you not to use a PC as the USB ports are often more unstable than the Mains adaptors !

Clearly yet again you have failed to see the main inportant factor here ! They're regulated to 420ma so you are not forcing 4 times the power down the line to the battery.

As it has been pointed out already better to be safe than sorry and keep it to the lowest output possible.

FYI : USB chargers dont show an input voltage as it is pressumed it will be plugged into a USB port !
And you habe audacity to ask if i know what the components are and what they do ? Yes i do thank you, i can show circuit boards i have built with swr / temp and over current protection built in but i would be wasting my time as you would'nt know the input from the output.

Sorry to argue with you, you are missing the point completely.
My charger clearly shows that it requires a 5V 500ma input, yours just shows 5V input voltage no amperage requirement. Dubious in my opinion.

Quote"Clearly yet again you have failed to see the main inportant factor here ! They're regulated to 420ma so you are not forcing 4 times the power down the line to the battery."
Where have i ever said this????????? ITS REGULATED SO WONT PUT 4X TO THE BATTERY. CLEARLY.
The argument is over input current not output.
Putting 2.1a into something designed for 0.5a is bad very bad.
As a Vendor you should clarify what amps are required. As your selling them.
Thats the problem you see, thats why people are causing fires by overloading the charger. Thats all I'm saying.

One hand You are saying computers are unstable, then saying it should be plugged into a usb port which unless I'm very mistaken is on a computer.
Which is it??

Last edited by a moderator:
Danny K.

Just reread both your last post and Greenoneten 's posts

Greenoneten was talking about input CURRENT not voltage, it states the voltage as 5v (usb standard as you point out) but doesn't state the current.

I'm not suprised it doesn't mention the current since all usb sockets will give it what it needs, but I standby my statement above that you agree with that its a better idea to only use a 500ma usb feed.

Please can we all calm down now? We all have a good idea what WE would have done and not done.

The simple fact is it has been done and the press can distort the facts as they please.

You at least, as a vender, are in a position to help people who wont find the forums and at least find some form of advice, please could you do what we cant and advise your customers to be careful with their batteries and chargers, and I'm not assuming that you dont already, just asking if you can.

Putting 4x the current in that is required isn't good as its pushing the regulation circuit to it limit or over its limit.
As for the charger you show, i would only use 0.5a or 500ma however you want to put it, as it doesn't even show an input current only 5V. Very untrustworthy!

Im afraid it is exactly what you said ? Please read through your posts before engaging all this waffle.

This isnt really getting anywhere and all it is doing is making a thread a lot longer than is needed.

Now if you insist on replying im just going to ignore you from now on.

Dagger People clearly can't read, an apple iPad adapter is a power supply, repeat power supply.
Its rated at 2.1a.
The charging circuit is in the iPad. got it.
This is the problem, people not understanding the difference between a power supply and charger.
The port of an iPad power adapter is not repeat not a usb port! This is where the problem occurs.
Clarified. I hope so.

A lot of people keep saying about batteries being fed 2a when they only require 500ma like Greenoneten did a few posts ago, people seem too not understand that chargers do not feed the current thats printed on the sticker, it simply means thats the max current the charger CAN supply, a 2a charger will not force 2a into a 500ma device, watching these people get all high and mighty about it when they are fundamentally wrong makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Maybe a device wont.

But a cell will take whatever you allow it too. We covered the chargers. What we are saying is that in a fault situation its better to have as many limits as possible because if that cell allowed to, it will take as much current as you give it. If that charger ends up going direct drive, where output = input then output to cell can be 2000ma where you want it to be no more than 500ma.

THAT IS WHY WE ARE SUGGESTING USING A 500ma USB.

Far too many posts on this! From ECITA.

The advice to use a standard USB power supply is really aimed at people who don’t understand their hardware, as another layer of safety.
If you know that your charger controls the current, it’s entirely safe to connect it to a power supply that delivers more than 500mA.
If you are unsure if it does or not, you should only use a 500mA power supply.
The vast majority of chargers do control the current (it’s an important function when charging a Li-ion battery), but in a small number of products, these controls are in the battery itself, and the ‘charger’ is basically a USB to 510 thread adapter, which is why it’s important not to mix and match.

@Dagger People clearly can't read, an apple iPad adapter is a power supply, repeat power supply.
Its rated at 2.1a.
The charging circuit is in the iPad. got it.
This is the problem, people not understanding the difference between a power supply and charger.
The port of an iPad power adapter is not repeat not a usb port! This is where the problem occurs.
Clarified. I hope so.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD836B/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=3c yes, the iPad charger is a usb port. it says so in the description on the apple website.

you're still looking at the power supply as something which forces out power at it's maximum amperage capability as soon as it's switched on. this isn't how it works. a 2.1 amp power supply means that there are 2.1 amps of current available to be drawn as needed by the devices connected to it.

the only way a 2.1 amp power supply would damage a battery any more than a .5 amp power supply is if like Maxcat said there was some obscure/lethally made lead that was just the + and - of a usb wired directly to the + and - on an ego plug or like gords1001 said the charger failed and let the full amperage of the power supply to the battery but i doubt very much this would happen. especially with the likes of an apple or samsung charger that will have more advanced circuit protection than some cheap tat that came with an ego battery.

either way i can't be arsed to try to convince you, god knows others have tried and failed.

Back
Top Bottom