What's new

Electronic cigarettes challenge anti-smoking efforts

K

KulrMeStoopid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20583902

A new TV advert for a brand of electronic cigarettes marks the first time in decades cigarettes of any sort have been promoted on US television. Anti-smoking campaigners fear the rapid growth of tobacco-free cigarettes could undermine years of successful anti-smoking efforts.
A handsome actor poses and struts on a beach in a stylishly shot black-and-white television spot. He puts the cigarette to his lips, takes a puff, and exhales a rich flume.
"Blu lets me enjoy smoking without it affecting the people around me, because it's vapour not tobacco smoke," says Stephen Dorff, the scruffy heartthrob star of The Immortals.
"We're all adults here, it's time we take our freedom back."

Click the link to read more!

awesome .. Stephen Dorf is ace in Blade

Just read it & came here to post it. It made me rather angry, the BBC is supposed to unbiased, but they have started & carried on all the way through calling it smoking, which it isnt. Same old BS that keeps cropping up everywhere.

I'm going to have to fire off a rather nasty email to my MP (who already hates because of previous run ins & me making him look looke a twat on youtube) & I think I'm going to file an official complaint with the BBC

Edit to say I think we should make a concerted effort to get away from calling them electronic cigarettes because that just hands half the battle to them on a plate. They are not cigarettes, they are not smoking, by sticking electronic in front of it doesnt get away from that & all the people who arent interested just hear/see cigarette & think cigarette smoking ban it

Edit (another 1) if Blu are calling it smoking then they need a kick up the backside as well.

Last edited:
reading another article linked from the 1st I came across this little snippet.

Sunday Times columnist Rod Liddle, who smokes conventional cigarettes, has little time for e-cigarettes. "They're effete and cowardly." *snip*
So if he hosted a dinner party and someone asked to smoke an e-cigarette what would he do?
"It is inconceivable that anyone I'd invite would own an electronic cigarette. But if they did I would sit close and blow smoke at them."

Wow, the guy sounds like a total jerk. I would love to go to 1 of his dinner parties, with my PV, & I can promise he wouldnt like what happens to him if he started blowing smoke at me.

Full VG liquid, nice high voltage... He'd be lost in vapour before I got lost in smoke ;)

Interesting that such an article should come from the Beeb, who are in a country that has already approved self-regulation and market authorization as general merchandise (rather than as a tobacco product or drug delivery device). It felt like the article was slanted a little to the right ("cigarettes in any form are bad, mmkay?") but they gave time to the "open minded" end of things, so it wasn't all bad.

Even so however, it's more of a balanced article than we've seen in the past, so maybe the mainstream media is starting to shift towards the left end of the spectrum, and perhaps that may be a small indicator of a shift in public opinion, too. Certainly it's a bit more evidence that E-cigs are gaining ground in the mainstream consciousness.

Interesting the divergence between the US and UK medical authorities - as usual the US is way behind. NICE is recommending that e cigs form a useful tool in tobacco harm reduction and recommending that Smoking Cessation clinics and help lines recommend e cigs. MHRA has been advised to implement 'light touch' legislation. ASH has stated categorically that it does not want e cigs banned.

That article is silly. It makes me think they have either not researched properly or have taken a back hander from somebody/a company with a vested interest in patches/gum/etc... I have never tried any of the other quit smoking methods and TBH probably never will. My plan is just to lower the nicotine content in my juice until it reaches 0% and just vape nice flavours. I started at 24mg and am now at 14mg after only a few weeks.

We are used to ill-informed and incorrect journalism, the misinformation disseminated by individuals and organizations sponsored by the pharmaceutical companies and the lunacy of the EU. So what's new?

Apologies in advance for jumping around, but I'm trying to comment on a complex subject, trying to cover as many gases as possible, without writing a book.

Before the tobacco giants started to buy into the e-cig market vaping has been seen as a big danger to the anti-smoking lobby. The WHO wants them banned for the same reason that some countries have already banned them, 'e-cigs hinder the de-normalisation of smoking'.
Big tobacco wants to sell e-cigs as 'a new kind of cigarette' in order to keep as many customers as possible, plus big tobacco wants to persuade non-smokers to start the habit,
I think that's why the ad and the report based on it talk about smoking and cigarettes.
The anti-smoking lobby is funded by Big Pharma and ehat lobby has a knee-jerk reaction, if Big Tobacco fights something they're succeeding.
The fact is that the number of smokers hasn't dropped since 2002, when I remember informative health warnings on much cheaper packs and anti-smoking ads that gave information and didn't rely on shock value which people soon get used to by repitition. This desire to shock is behind the 'plain packaging campaign' for cigarettes which experts say will make it easier to sell far more poisonous counterfeit cigarettes.

On smoking rather than vaping, I can remember a pack designed for youngf people. The brand was 'Death' and the pack was black with a skull and crossbones logo. That brand no longer exists I think because all packs do the risk and rebellion advertising far better than that brand did.
The anti-smoking campaign reached a peak 10 years ago. Everybody who smokes now either couldn't quit, didn't want to quit, or started in spite of, or maybe because of, anti-smoking campaigns and laws.
But I'd rather my children took up vaping than smoking. The fear of creating new vapers isn't a black and white issue and even if tobacco was banned we'd still have smokers only they'd be smoking something far more dangerous than the cigarettes bought today, probably paying a lot less for them.
The anti-smoking lobby has the 'quit or die' approach.Nobody who quits will avoid death, it's a condition of living.

I think that in the USA the aim has been to get ecigs classified as tobacco products so as to avoid medicine regulation. I don't like that and I think it raises a question about NRT. As eliquid uses the same pharma grade nicotine as NRT, if ecigs are tobacco products then surely patches, gum, and the rest are as well. The nicotine comes from the same source, tobacco.

Smokers consider vaping often because they can use something that looks as much like a cigarette as possible. That's why one reason used for banning is because a lot of people think a cigalike is a cigarette. I'd like vaping devices to look nothing like them, but a lot of smokers would never even try them if they didn't mimic smoking almost completely.

So we have the WHO pushing for banning, and European governments are or have considered that. For ammunition there are plenty of studies funded by Big Pharma that are searching for the slightest evidence of the slightest harm.

If things stay as they are I don't think that Big Tobacco will have ant effect on us, but could get more people vaping. Maybe because BT wants to make big profits, some will become vaping converts and then move to the kind of stuff most of us use.

I think the important thing is to keep to the message that vaping is saving health and saving the government money, without mentioning that without a 'sin tax' the covernment will get a lot less tax income. In the UK we already have regulation in Health and Safety and Trading Standards, so all manufactureres and vendors have to comply.

Banning something, a fear a lot of us have about vaping, has proved not to work. That can be seen by Prohibition in the USA in the past, and the lost 'War on Drugs' today.

I think we should try and do the impossible, try to convert the members of the anti-smoking lobby who are on a crusade and have closed minds. Some in the UK have been persuaded, my local NHS now sees vaping as a legitimate way to quit and classes vapers as non-smokers, and we have the 'nudge unit; coming down in favour as well as at least a part of ASH.
The anti-smoking lobby sees tobacco companies as their enemy. Maybe we should join them in part by saying we don't want Big Tobacco or Big Pharma taking over?

Just my very rambling two pennies worth of random thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom