What's new

EU MEP calls for action to stop loss of tax revenue from ecigs

The truth is out there....

Would anyone be surprised to hear those in power rate money above health ?
Seriously we have always known we are just a revenue stream.

This is one of the biggest reasons m8 why some politicians are not backing vapers. The government gets around a massive 95% of the price of stinkies in tax hence they are trying to stop vaping as it now is having a significant impact on the tobacco industry, they didn't want to ban advertising etc but did because it is a show of face to the rest of the world, but behind closed doors they are starting to worry stupid about their revenue falling steadily. With government its all about being popular and getting the most it can from its citizens, ya know kinda like a secret medieval poll tax on consumer goods.

Simon

Vaping will have more effect on the pharma industry and governments than on the tobacco industry. Already several tobacco companies have moved into the ecig market, cigalikes which are the best sellers. They'd like medicalization because that would remove the competition but they'll survive without it.But Italy complained that it had lost 7.8 million euros (I think( in the first 2 months of this year because less people are buying cigarettes from the government. I say that deliberately because, thanks to 'sin taxes' cigarettes have become a government cash cow and you could even say that governments are the major stakeholder, getting 90% of all cigarette profits. Pharma would suffer big-time as well, not only from reduced sales of almost useless NRT drugs but also because of the huge profits made on drugs to treat sick smokers. COPD drugs, blood pressure drugs, heart drugs, asthma drugs, chemotherapy drugs... the list goes on. I saw one estimate that if 50% of smokers switched to vaping then Pharma would lose 50 - 60% of income and profit. Plus all those people who make their money from working for the tobacco control lobby would be out of a job if only a minority smoked. There is a lot of money in tobacco and interested parties won't give it up lightly, they'll fight tooth and claw to keep the status quo. That's why I don't see the Mcaven amendments as good because they bring vaping under tobacco laws, not only no internet sales but also I suspect that 'unflavoured' means tobacco flavours. If it really was unflavoured and you could buy bottles with a strong enough concentration we'd have no problems although probably most future vapers would stick to tobacco, but if everything is tobacco flavoured what can you do with that? Add a little menthol maybe but it would still taste of tobacco and I'm one of many who not only hates tobacco flavour but can't stand menthol either. For me real cigs taste better than a fake tobacco flavour vape.

Back
Top Bottom