What's new

First time building an RDA, muted flavour on Mongrel.

Lots of flavour from my zeus tank yeah, been matching the liquid I've been using in my RDAs so I have a clear idea of the flavour I am aiming for. Change flavours every 2-3 days in both so I don't get flavour fatigue too.

I've never had hot liquid in my mouth from anything, let alone the Hellbeast so wouldn't have a clue how to remedy that. Over squonking,maybe?

Have you tried playing with the airflow?

I'm struggling to think how you're not getting flavour from any of those 3, they're all modern rebuildable atties & they're pretty easy to nail. If you've ruled out vapour's tongue (which I had a hugely frustrating time with very early into my vape journey) I can't think of anything else because it all sounds in check

There's loads of variables in rebuilding so it's about going through them all

- a clean RTA/RDA
- clean fingers
- a wire type you get on with
- a coil that's suitable
- a coil/ coils that glow evenly from the centre
- cotton
- wicking
- airflow
- wattage
- juice

Your Muji's not been tainted by any chance has it?

I don't think so it came in a big sealed bag, and I've tried some of the other cottons that came with the coil master tool kit and it's the same. I play with the airflow every time I rewick but no dice.
I would just stick to the Zeus but I spent a good bit of money on the stuff for rebuildables so I'm going to keep trying and I'll crack it eventually. I've only tried a couple of wicks in the hellbeast and destiny and haven't changed the coils yet so hopefully I get the hang of them quicker than the mongrel.
Going to ring some local vape shops tomorrow and see if I can go in and do a build there, it's probably something really stupid I'm doing if all three have the same issue and I just don't realise what it is.
I'll post again after I've been in and tell you what I was doing wrong, or if I manage to fix the issue before then.
Again I really appreciate all the support and help.

I don't think so it came in a big sealed bag, and I've tried some of the other cottons that came with the coil master tool kit and it's the same. I play with the airflow every time I rewick but no dice.
I would just stick to the Zeus but I spent a good bit of money on the stuff for rebuildables so I'm going to keep trying and I'll crack it eventually. I've only tried a couple of wicks in the hellbeast and destiny and haven't changed the coils yet so hopefully I get the hang of them quicker than the mongrel.
Going to ring some local vape shops tomorrow and see if I can go in and do a build there, it's probably something really stupid I'm doing if all three have the same issue and I just don't realise what it is.
I'll post again after I've been in and tell you what I was doing wrong, or if I manage to fix the issue before then.
Again I really appreciate all the support and help.
Check your coil height.
Looks a little low to me.
And don't be frightened to crank up the Watts on the mongrel the airflow is sufficient enough to keep the coil cool so long as you pull hard enough.

20210514_214506.jpg
20210514_214407.jpg

Finally had a breakthrough! After trying a few more methods with my muji (extra fluffed, Scottish roll) and getting nowhere I ordered some cotton bacon prime and some new wotofo framed staple coils (0.33 resistance). Arrived today and after cleaning the rda out and putting my build in the flavour is finally very good! Didn't blow me away as I had expected, but it is so so much better.
Not sure if it was the coils or the cotton that did the trick, but I tried both to be safe. I think if I can get the wicking and coil placement to be perfect with the new stuff the flavour will be even better, but it's already right up there with the Zeus. I'll get some coil wire soon and do more wraps as someone suggested and see how that goes.
I have only tried up to 50 Watts so far, not sure if the flavour would step up again if I pushed it higher but I'm worried I'll ruin my first good build. Still very airy even with the honeycomb insert and the airflow 2/3 shut at 45W.
Didn't have any luck with my local vape shop, I was told they aren't trained to advise me on rebuildables because these are "intended for advanced vapers". Have found one further away that will help so I still might pop in to see if I get even more out of it.

Yeah, I suggested more wraps, purely more surface, more cotton, more juice, all produce flavour, in some cases.

Glad you're getting there.

With Cotton it can be Trial and Error sometimes, i wasn't sure about Muji at first and now it's all i use on my rebuildables, some say it good and some don't like it. I say use what works for you.

Awesome!!!

I have only tried up to 50 Watts so far, not sure if the flavour would step up again if I pushed it higher but I'm worried I'll ruin my first good build. Still very airy even with the honeycomb insert and the airflow 2/3 shut at 45W.

If the vape's a little cool, try upping the wattage a little, that build I put up, I run at 60w, airflow about 3/4 closed & it's not even warm

Back
Top Bottom