What's new

Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo RDA

MarylinC37

Achiever
Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo RDA
Review by MarylinC37

Ok people. This will possibly be the only proper review I ever write because I am absolutely not interested in becoming a regular reviewer.

So let me begin by explaining why I’ve decided to review this particular atty.

I received my first Dead Rabbit Solo RDA from 3fvape just over 3 weeks ago along with a new Pulse v3 squonker so I straight away popped a build into it. I wound an Ni80 framed staple coil, 4 wraps which I slightly spaced about 0.5mm and 3.5mm ID. I find slightly spacing the wraps by about 0.5mm helps more juice come through and get picked up by the airflow giving me a lot more flavour. The coil resistance is currently showing as 0.26Ω and I am vaping it at 45W. I always have a few atties on the go at the same time but on this, in the last 3 weeks I have vaped over 60ml of my own very sweet Cherry Cream Soda juice. In that time I have not changed the cotton or coil at all and I have just taken a photo of what the build looks like as of today.

DR-Solo-05.jpg

You can see from the photo that the cotton is still just a light beige colour and there is hardly any gunk on the coil. Normally, by this point with most other RBA’s I’ve used, you see the build is mostly black and well caked with a layer of gunk. How often would you see builds looking this good after 60 or 70ml of juice has been through them? I have found similar performance from other 22mm RBA’s that I’ve used with small build decks where the coil is closely surrounded by the airflow holes so perhaps that is a trait with some of these smaller drippers. That is why I’m writing this review. The flavour quality I’m still getting from this atty is absolutely phenomenal so I wanted to share this and hopefully help some of you other POTV members.

I don’t work for Hellvape or any other vape related business, I haven’t been paid or given any kind of inducement and I purchased the atty with my own money. I’ve now bought 4 of them so I should give a little shout out to 3fVape where I bought my first one and also to Vaping101 where I then bought the other 3 that came this morning.

So now lets get into some more detail about the Dead Rabbit Solo RDA. As the name implies this is a single coil RDA and the diameter of the outer barrel measures 22mm. The height, not including the drip tip or the 510 pin measures 22.1mm and it uses an 810 drip tip as standard. At 22mm it is one of the smaller RDA’s you can buy but it packs quite a punch for what it is.

There are two versions which are the normal version and then there are the Hellvape 6th Anniversary Editions. The normal version was originally produced in 7 different colours although some more colours have since been added including a shocking pink version which I bought. I also bought all 3 of the 6th Anniversary Editions which also include a 24mm beauty ring.

The one I’m using is a blue and pink 6th anniversary edition which, with the 24mm beauty ring, sits perfectly on top of the Vandy Vape Pulse v3 squonker you can see in the photo. My 3 latest colours you can see below that.

PulseSolo.jpg

DR-Solo-04.jpg

The atty consists of 4 main pieces as you can see in the photo below.

DR-Solo-08.jpg

In the photo you can see that the build deck has 2 posts where you simply drop the coil in from the top and the grub screws come in from opposite sides to prevent needing to deform the coil. Because of the cutouts for locating the outer barrel the depth of the juice well is just 4.5mm. The deck is extremely easy to build on. I found it helpful to keep trying putting on the outer barrel to make sure I was centring my coil correctly. The grub screws are slotted heads but Hellvape do provide a pair of allen headed screws inside the spares bag if you prefer them. You will need to pre-cut the coil legs and I found the ideal length to be 5.5 to 6mm so the coil sits about 2mm above the posts which gives the airflow room to get under the coil. If you need it they do also provide a small coil cutting guide in the box. The 510 pin also slightly protrudes so mech mod users should have no issues using this atty.

On either side there are 3 rows of 5 airflow holes. The airflow cap rotates so you can adjust from fully open to as little as just 2 holes on the bottom row if you want a really tight draw. I prefer closing off the top 2 rows and having all of the bottom row left open.

DR-Solo-06.jpg

Inside the barrel the inner walls are brought in to enclose the coil on either side to help concentrate the flavour. The space between the walls measures 9.5mm. In the photo you can also see inside the barrel there is a small tab on either side which fits into slots on the build deck to correctly locate the outer barrel and lock it in position. If you miss the slots when putting the barrel back on it will leave about 1mm of the build deck showing at the bottom until you locate the slots properly.

DR-Solo-07.jpg

Also inside the box you get a user manual, a 0.42Ω Ni80 clapton coil and piece of shoelace cotton, a coil cutting guide and a bag of tools and spares which includes a squonk pin, a bunch of O rings, 2 spare allen headed grub screws, 2 allen keys, a small flat head screwdriver, one spare 810 drip tip and also a 510 drip tip adaptor which you may prefer should you wish to use your own smaller 510 drip tip. I haven’t tried a 510 drip tip on it but I know @Gitchy tried it in his review of the RTA version of the Dead Rabbit Solo and he reported that it did help the flavour quite a bit, which I imagine is most likely the effect of the smaller bore concentrating the vapour and the flavour.

DR-Solo-02.jpg

I only ever squonk on my RDA’s so the squonk pin is always the first thing I change out before I do anything else.

That’s about all I can say about the technical details so what do I think of this atty?

I love a really moist flavourful vape. With the Dead Rabbit Solo, along with the build I’m using, not only am I getting phenomenal flavour quality but it has just kept going and going. It seems as if this thing will just keep pumping out high quality flavour and just never stop. For that reason I have to rate this as the best atty I have ever used. Hence why I am writing this.

Every time I take a puff I find I get a gorgeous inhale of vapour which then leaves a perfect coating of juice inside my mouth which leaves an incredibly lovely taste. I am not getting raw juice all over my lips on the drip tip or in my mouth which happens often with other atties. To me this is about as perfect a vape as I could wish for.

I hope you have found this helpful and if you want to know any more feel free to drop me a PM.

Last edited:
Great review, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

I'm not into dripping or squonking but if I was then I think you would have definitely sold me on this RDA!

Thanks for the review very informative, as you know I'm looking to get a Dead Rabbit Solo or the Nitrous.

Last edited:
After you were raving about this RDA in a few threads I got one yesterday, fits a treat on my little Thelema mini, great taste as you say :)

After you were raving about this RDA in a few threads I got one yesterday, fits a treat on my little Thelema mini, great taste as you say :)

Thank you. The thing that I think is most impressive is how well the design of the Solo works to keep the gunk away so not only is the flavour superb but it just keeps going and going. I'd be interested to know whether you also find that.

It seems as if this thing will just keep pumping out high quality flavour and just never stop.

Every time I take a puff I find I get a gorgeous inhale of vapour which then leaves a perfect coating of juice inside my mouth which leaves an incredibly lovely taste. I am not getting raw juice all over my lips on the drip tip or in my mouth which happens often with other atties.
Might have a future writing Mills & Boon books though.. 🤭

Anyone been adventurous with bigger then 3mm coils?
The last 2 I made were 4mm spaced ones for a new Dead Rabbit Solo and a new Stalk RDA, and my 2 Recurve RDAs both have the stock 5mm one installed - but having just bought a Dead Rabbit 'Pro' that has nice bottom airflow on each side of the deck, designed for twin coils of course, one vent directly below each and currently have a pair of 3mm braided coils on it - but...

I'm using more spaced single coils at the moment and fancy making a coil that will be big enough to take advantage of the two bottom vents without the airflow mainly passing it by - so today I found a piece of steel that is 6.8mm diameter that I'm going to build a few not-many-wraps spaced coils with to try it out.

The DR SOlo has 9mm exactly between the air vents so ought to fit with just over 1mm clearance on each side !

Hard to measure vertical clearance without just building one, hopefully it'll just fit under the cap if I mount it low, but as high as possible for better air on the lower half of the coil.

The Dead Rabbit 'Pro' is actually very good, would definitely recommend it. I really like the airflow options, great quality of course and looks good; but it's more of a squonker than a dripper - too easy to mis-drip straight into the bottom vents if you're not taking care to aim directly in the centre.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom