What's new

Sub Ohm Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo RTA

Gitchy

Achiever
@Sourcemore sent me this to try out. I am not affiliated with POTV or Sourcemore, nor do I get paid to review things.

20240126-111630.jpg

Hellvape Dead Rabbit Solo RTA

https://www.sourcemore.com/hellvape-dead-rabbit-solo-rta.html

This RTA is on sale at the moment, at under £20 when you convert currencies. Well worth a pop if you like single coil RTAs.

The Dead Rabbit Solo RTA is a single coil RTA for DTL or RDL. It comes packed with the 2ml glass on it but there’s a 4ml bubble glass in the package. It has top airflow and has an 810 driptip. The deck is postless.

In the box you get:
1* Dead Rabbit Solo RTA
1* Bubble Glass
1* Accessory Bag
1* User Manual

20240226-114419.jpg

I found the included driptip far too short for my liking so I swapped it out right away for a bigger one. The colours clash a little as I got sent a gold RTA, but it’s so much more comfortable I don’t care. This is mainly just to note that the purple driptip in one of my photos is not included with the RTA itself.

The RTA is 24mm at the base, but the bubble glass sticks out a little when on so it’s prime for breaking if dropped too hard. A chance you just have to take with pretty much all bubble glasses on RTAs. At the top it is a push to fill RTA so you just need to find the little arrow that tells you where to push and it will reveal a filling port for you. The top of the RTA screws off for easy cleaning if you want to do that. I found the filling port ok, it wasn’t restricted for me, but I imagine if I was using a massive bottle and a taller driptip then the driptip might need taken off to fill as fast as I like. Not an issue as there are a few other RTAs like that anyway. The top airflow works well and is very smooth, there’s minimal whooshing from it.

The deck is postless so I used my trusty coily tool to cut the coil at 6mm. That was too tall. I found 5.5mm or 5mm was so much better and left the coil closer to the airflow in the deck to give me better flavour. And the chamber inside is kind of sectioned off with a honeycomb airflow on each side of the coil with a hole at the bottom to enable the deck airflow so, for me, that makes for better flavour as well. On the advertising blurb Hellvape call the whole airflow system ‘interlayered honeycomb airflow’. It’s a wee bit hard to explain so see pic below. I hope it’s in focus!

20240226-114256.jpg

In use there were no coils or cotton included in the box. A strange one as Hellvape are usually very generous with their kit. It was no matter to me as I don’t use them anyway but if you do get one of these RTAs have some coils and cotton on hand. I just wrapped up a coil from my flatwire roll. It was the Ni80 flapton wire and I wound it at 4 wraps to give a 0.21ohm coil that I could use to muck around with different wattages. I found the tank easy to wick. The cotton holes are quite generous so a 3mm coil diameter was good enough but I did leave the tails a touch longer than I usually would on my second attempt as my first was gurgling like a baby. Once I had it sorted the tank was lovely. As I noted the airflow is smooth and the flavour was really good. Using the flatwire also gave me a cracking amount of vapour, not quite on the scale of a mesh rebuildable but pretty damn close and at a lower wattage than the coil’s ohms suggested so I could get the cooler vape I prefer.

I then moved onto a coilology V2 Alien coil that I liked a while ago for my RDL vaping and with the airflow closed off little a bit I got a really good RDL vape as well. The airflow was still smooth and the flavour still pretty damn good, especially for a top airflow RTA. I did go back to the flatwire though as it just works so well in the Dead Rabbit RTAs.

Overall, despite my reservations at first, I really really liked the Dead Rabbit Solo. Tiny things like the short driptip and worry about filling with a big bottle did not take away from how good the RTA is. It’s definitely one I’ll be using again.

20240226-114440.jpg

Excellent review @Gitchy

I have the dripper equivalent of the Solo which I've been using for the last couple of weeks. The build deck is different on the dripper compared to the RTA so you can't really compare the two but I've used a similar 4 wrap coil and am also very impressed with the vape quality from it.

Back
Top Bottom