What's new

Review Hexohm V3 Clone

tachikoma

Postman
So... It finally arrived... And it was worth the wait!

After being disappointed with tube and parrallel mods and not quite trusting myself with a noisy cricket I searched out something a little less "full on" and found a sort of clone of the Hexohm V2, with the addition of a volt screen. Not a voltmeter you need to understand, this shows the voltage you set on the Hexohm style potentiometer, which makes ohms law much easier as it takes the guesswork out of twiddling the dial, something the very expensive (but I'm sure worth the money) original really needs. The screen glows a bright blue that is easily visible in direct sunlight. Would have preferred a red screen to match the paint, but it's a small niggle.

The device is made of zinc alloy rather than aluminium, so has a nice heft to it, heavier than my snow wolf, but not unweildly, you will know if it has fallen out of your pocket because you won't need to pull your trousers up every 5 minutes.

I went with red, and despite the photos coming out salmon pink, its a nice crimson colour, not dark red, but not poster paint bright, refined without being garish.

The paint has a grippy matte finish, not rubbery, not super slick, you won't feel like you are going to drop it. The silk-screening is nice if you are bothered about the clone aspect, don't know if it compares to a real one, but even up close it doesn't look cheap.

The button, while looking cheap, and not quite matching the paint colour, is firm, not very clicky, but you wouldn't worry about accidental presses, which is good as there is no master switch or firing lock.

The 510 is a spring loaded, I believe "fat daddy style" with 5 airflow grooves, everything fits nicely and it does protrude past the body, might not be to some peoples tastes, but with a steel royal hunter dripper, they blend together well enough for it not to be obvious.

The battery sled feels cheap, not sure it is going to hold up to regular abuse, but shouldn't be much hassle replacing it with a nice sled from axmod later on.

The wiring is fine, no bother, no mess, gauges are fine, soldering is neat, the board is fitted well and the pot/screen are bordered off with tape so it is all neat.

Hits great, set it to ~4V, stuck my dripper on at 0.27ohms and fires the same as my snow wolf at 60w, no discernable difference in vape, no noticeable voltage issues, but this is a VV device so that shouldn't be as much of an issue as with a pure mech.

I know there's some concern about the longevity of the chip, and only time will tell if mine stands the test of time, but the chips are a few quid on fast tech, so replacing it isn't going to be a ballache unless it is your only device.

The paint I am sure will evaporate over the course of a week and the button won't last 3 months, but I bought this as a spare device, not a main device, as long as it works and I can fix it easily, I'm happy.

Is it worth $37.21? So far yes, but its only day one, the build quality is good, there's some gaps around the door, but they aren't too bad, it works great, looks good and wasn't £120 like the original, which admittedly comes with a lifetime warranty, but again, how much does a chip cost, and how often are they likely to die? The total cost of ownership might be less with the clone, who can say.

I didn't buy this because I wanted a hexohm, I'm going to sticker the shit out of it and nobody will be any wiser. I could have bought the "Storm V3" which is the unbranded version of this, but the Hexohm version has apparently a better quality chip.

I'm not going to cry if this dies, I'm not going to curse if I drop it like I would with my snow wolf or one of my wood mods, its a workhorse, its cheap, built well and looks decent.

Pink photos to follow:

DSC_0706.JPG DSC_0710.JPG DSC_0703.JPG DSC_0704.JPG

I had one of these. Traded it, and missed it instantly. It is heavy, and a touch too tall for tanks.

I found that Fasttech sell the boards for £7, so I put one in a cheap (£2.50) 1590b box.

The only problem is that the full current is passing through the fire button. If you have the know-how it would be a good move to put a MOSFET between the button and the board.

I had one of these. Traded it, and missed it instantly. It is heavy, and a touch too tall for tanks.

I found that Fasttech sell the boards for £7, so I put one in a cheap (£2.50) 1590b box.

The only problem is that the full current is passing through the fire button. If you have the know-how it would be a good move to put a MOSFET between the button and the board.

Cool, cheers dude, will take the opportunity to put in a better button as well!

They claim 180w firing down to 0.2ohm - the voltage selection is 3.6v(ish) to 6v(ish) - so I think that's 30 Amp theoretical limit. I used (and use) mine very conservatively. Keep it at 3.6v, and will be swapping the board out for a OKR/Raptor 60w

I'm keeping mine at 4V, 0.27ohm so about 17A, 60W, I heard they get flaky past 20A but I think that was for the unbranded board, this one apparently has a Panasonic board that can do 30A.

Just thought I would post a 2 month-ish update, still going strong, has been my all day every day device, relegating the Snow Wolf to "dripper stand" status. Paint is still intact, 510 is still snug, switch (which I was most concerned about failing) is working fine, all in all a bloody good purchase.

9 month update

Barely touched my Snow Wolf since buying this, button and board have held up perfectly, the paint has seen better days but considering I don't baby my devices and it's only chipped on the extremes and where my nails sit, I'm not worried considering this has been my daily driver for 9 months.

I dug out my Snow Wolf last week to have a toot on and honestly I re-shelved the thing after 5 minutes, fire lag was obscene, the edges dug into my hand and it seemed to drain the same batteries twice as fast as the HexClone.

I'm going to order a couple of the boards it uses and 3D print myself an enclosure to make my own version minus the branding.

Fasttech have discontinued the boards. I bought one, it lasted about 2 months in a box I built. Sounds like you got lucky. You'd probably be better off getting an OKL/Raptor board...

Fasttech have discontinued the boards. I bought one, it lasted about 2 months in a box I built. Sounds like you got lucky. You'd probably be better off getting an OKL/Raptor board...

Did you order the generic board or the Panasonic?

Yeah might go with the OKL T20 actually, will be interesting seeing how compact I can make it when I design the box mod as I can build the battery sled into the box and have slots for the boards and wires. Even if I use posh 3D filament (metal fill, wood fill, thermochromatic, etc) the box won't cost more than £2 and the components should cost about a tenner.

Back
Top Bottom