What's new

How can you update firmware with the mod wanting to charge?

Lung Redemption

Postman
Presumably mods go into charge mode when they're hooked up via USB, but it's also that same USB connection that provides firmware updates(i don't see more than one cable supplied). If it's preferable not to charge the mod via USB, how can we update the firmware without the mod wanting to start charging itself? Is that a natural consequence of having a system that will utilise USB charging? I'll be putting together a new mod soon and will be charging up some new batteries(via external charger as often advised), but also want to update the firmware, is the mod going to(if the batteries are even slightly drained) start auto charging when i hook it up to the PC for a firmware update?

Is that something i need even worry about? (i imagine not, but i honestly don't know, nothing i've read or watched has covered this).

Last edited:
Would it not be wise to take the battery's out before you update it? [emoji6]

is it broke?
why do you think an update is needed?
i wouldnt bother updating it especially if it is a smok as they make great door stops which has happened to quite a lot on here and i bet thousands around the world.

Most mods will go into a diffent "update/data" mode when they detect a data connection, they will also charge and this is generally nothing to worry about.
It does depend on the mod/board though, whilst most require the batteries to be in a few require the battery's to be out so you will need to look for the specific firmware update instructions for your particular setup.

Matty how would the mod receive an update without any power? Are you saying mods will update without batteries? (i'm new to this).

MrDJ, no it's brand new(Charon Mini), and the firmware update allows me to choose a custom background instead of a small handful of preloaded ones.

Thanks red, i guess i'll just have to test and see, i've not started putting the kit together yet but i'll check the manual, i was curious about how this works in general for mods.

Matty how would the mod receive an update without any power? Are you saying mods will update without batteries? (i'm new to this).

MrDJ, no it's brand new(Charon Mini), and the firmware update allows me to choose a custom background instead of a small handful of preloaded ones.

Thanks red, i guess i'll just have to test and see, i've not started putting the kit together yet but i'll check the manual, i was curious about how this works in general for mods.
Last mod I updated was a smok xcube 2 and you had to remove the battery's to update it the power they need to update is supplied by the USB port not the battery's [emoji5]

not sure of that mod so cant help much. for backgrounds then its worth it.
only reason i said why bother was there have been a lot of smoks died due to updates.

Not yet sure if that's the case with my mod, but will test to see if it also updates without batteries(actually waiting on some to arrive, hopefully tomorrow). I've seen piles of vaping videos and heard numerous discussions about mods and updating them, but noone has ever mentioned(at least that i can recall) whether the batteries need be in the mod during that process.

@MrDJ i've read and heard enough to not go Smok, i'm sure they work great for plenty of vapers but they're not for me, neither is Voopoo(shady business ethics), despite some great looking hardware.

You need to read the instructions for that mod.
Like many that didn't with the Smok Alien and bricked it. That was "remove batteries, and keep fire button / bar depressed during update"

No worries, i will most certainly do that, just waiting on my batteries to arrive so i can do a small photo session with my new parts once i start unpacking them. I'm a hobbyist PC builder, i do appreciate the necessity of RTFM even with straight-forward hardware. :)

Back
Top Bottom